-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here it is LONG LIVES The who gives a shi!!!> The 204 isn't top dog. The 223 will do just what the 204 will. Bottom line is if you practice you will be just fine, if you want to buy a rifle and scope it and shoot a few 50-100rds a yr through it like VG then go ahead and do that. The real shooters know what is going on and to me really who gives a SHI!> I would take my 223 any day over VGs 204. HAPPY HUNTING

Last edited by ruger243223; 02/21/10.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Vg you brag about some much real field experience, yet back your findings up with data from the Remington catalog, then call me an idiot. I guess a smart guy like you would know that a powder change in both rounds would cause a velocity difference, equaling a trajectory difference. Not to mention the almost 40 percent weight difference in bullets you compared. I guess all the wind blows the chrono over, but then again if you used a chrono you would not have to reference a printed catalog. I also wonder if you looked at the BCs of the bullets they used. BTW that makes a difference also. I bet they do not list chamber pressures either. BTW that also makes a difference. I got enough rounds out of a Tac20, 204Ruger and 223s to tell you they aint a lick of difference in the field with 40s to 55s.

204 diameter 32 vs 40s Lets think about this push a a bullet weighing 30 percent more with 5% less velocity with a higher BC guess which one wins. In the wind and at distance with more energy. I would have figured even you would have been able to figure that out. Remingtons catalog must not give that much info. But you got slammed for about 3 pages on that topic. I can search for the thread if you would like to jar your memory.

The 17HMR you hold in such high regaurd. The 4-5 I have tuned have been wonderfully accurate. After chasing 11 mortally hit (all recovered) foxes in about three weeks of calling I devolped that opinion. There was 4 more that could not be determined becuase of no recovery. So 3 coyotes does not make for a good coyote round. Fact that is no test at all. More like dumb luck. I have personally tracked mortally hit smallish Texas coyotes hit hard with a 17mach4. I can dig those pics up. I say that while owning a 17Hm2 a 17HMR. I have killed about everything in Penna that would count as varmits or furbearers with a 17AH,17Mach4,17-222AI and currently running a 17Javelina as my main calling gun, with a Tac20 as my late season rifle. So it is not bore diameter it is the horsepower I disagree with any one shooting at a critter much larger than a squirrel with the HMR.

I will eat crow if you show some proof. You demand it all the time so am I. Get some pics of these kills and groups. P/M me I will direct you to a web site or two you can see mine. Unlike you I do not talk trash that I can not back up. Keep getting excited and calling names.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Oh God... so this is where Varmint Girl has landed. I used to have to chase down the little prick over on AR until he finally would cry 'Uncle'. Eventually he got banned there.

Well, good luck guys!

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
R Walter that is the basic idea here. Enough is enough.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just can't believe he hasn't worn out this !!!!! key yet....

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Perfect opportunity for you to bust out "Captain Rant" Ingwe...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, please...

Be my guest.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LOL you guys are no help.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have two HMRs and have taken or attempted to take a number critters with them. My experience parallels your very closely. The HMR is not adequate for game larger than squirrels. I hate wounding animals especially when I have more suitable rifles at home or in the truck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by R_Walter
Oh God... so this is where Varmint Girl has landed. I used to have to chase down the little prick over on AR until he finally would cry 'Uncle'. Eventually he got banned there.

Well, good luck guys!

That's funny right there...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
That is by far the worst comparison of two cartridges I have seen on the internets! 40 grain bullets for the .204 vs. 55 grain bullets for the .223? Who do you think your foolin? The .204 is cool, but it aint versatile. The .223 dupes it and then bests it by going heavier.

All this with cheap brass and lots of options. Go bitch about shootin in the wind or moan about ruining 10 bucks worth of powder. And while you're at it, learn how to indent!

Hold into the douche!
Higbean

Last edited by Higbean; 02/22/10.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Really, who gives a schit?

The 204 is a niche chambering. It BETTER be good at at least one thing.

The 223 is VERSATILE, with bullets from 30 to 90 grains, for everything from varmint, to target, to LR, to hunting.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anyone here ever chronied a factory round and compared their ACTUAL chrony results against the published data and found that they were nowheres close to published? I have. Heck, sometimes they are out by as much as 150 ft/sec.

If you're talking real world, get into reality, not what some catalog says. Even velocities published in reloading manuals vary from a day at the range with a chrony. Some run close -- other -- not so much.

Comparing a 40 gr 204 Ruger to a 55 gr 223 Rem is like comparing a 130 gr 270 to a 180 gr 30-06. Apples to watermelons. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it comes down to it, who really cares as I'm guessing the vast majority of people who own a .204 also own a .223. There will be lots more people who own a .223 who don't own a .204.

I love my .223 and my .204 also, there both in similar platforms and wear the same scope but my .223 is pretty and is for light use and my .204 is kinda ugly but it gets the job done.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why does all this bloviation on the 204 Ruger remind me of Stuart Smalley?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It reminds me of second grade..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Anyone here ever chronied a factory round and compared their ACTUAL chrony results against the published data and found that they were nowheres close to published? I have. Heck, sometimes they are out by as much as 150 ft/sec.

If you're talking real world, get into reality, not what some catalog says. Even velocities published in reloading manuals vary from a day at the range with a chrony. Some run close -- other -- not so much.

Humm my TAC 20 doesn't fit that picture. .223 with 40's chrony out at nearly 3800 with N133 while my 40's in the TAC chrony 3909?

Whoops there's the problem I don't use factory loads.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/25/10.

NRA Lifetime Member
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Drover: Yikes its getting even worse for the 223 Remington than I had thought!
I just picked up a BRAND NEW "Basic Relaoding Manual" from the owners of Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester Powders.
They STERNLY warn NEVER to EXCEED the loads listed in their manual - case in point they list 12 (twelve!) different powders and loading for the 223 Remington and 40 grain bullets!
The HIGHEST velocity they list and caution NEVER to EXCEED is a cool 3,674 F.P.S. - hmmm.... seems the 204 Ruger's ballistic superiority is EVEN HIGHER than I had thought - especially when you delete the disengenuous hot loads vs common loads that SOME folks try to get away wiff!!!
Long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
The_shootist: Apparently you don't have enough brain cells to get your mind AROUND the premise of COMPARING common pressures in one cartridge to common pressures in another cartridge for a FAIR COMPARISON!
NOT disengenuously comparing hot loads in one cartridge to common pressure loads in another cartridge.
AGAIN there the_shootists, try to open YOUR MIND, if possible, to the "fair comparisons" as illustrated by an ammunition makers (LONG TIME ammunition makers by the way!) catalog.
Perhaps the concept of a fair comparison offends you in some way?
It certainly does NOT offend me!
I make MY decisions on the basis of FAIR comparisons NOT disengenuous comparisons!
And I have done this for decades now - and OFTEN I take those that try and get away with disingenuous comparsions to task!
Like in this instance for instance.
My personal Oehler Chronograph does not lie - but on rare occassion there are those "contraries" and "disingenuous" types who don't believe anyone but themselves - so a factual and irrefutable production of evidence in the form of ballistics from an un-impeachable source such as the Remington Ballistic Tables precludes any disingenuous "hot rod load vs. common pressure load" comparisons from taking hold!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not in a pissing match with anybody but I just got done looking at my new Nosler reloading manual and looked up both 204 and 223 and both shooting the same 40gr Bts and the max charge for both and the 223 is considerably faster about 150-200fps. Now for pressure I don't give a crap about pressure, the 204 is a good round but far from the 223. The 223 will do anything the 204 will do but with way more CLASS. HAPPY HUNTING

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.