Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Western Mountaineering Antelope.

I use to be cautious about using a down bag because, as we all know, they don't insulate when they get wet. A while back I tried to remember a time, any time, that my sleeping bag had gotten wet and I don't think it's ever happened, at least not to me.

I have a North Face bag with Polargard insulation rated at 15�. It's really only good down to about 20� and I've had to put on extra clothing many times when using that bag. But I still use it when rafting or canoeing for obvious reasons.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here is what I carried 2 seasons ago......now I have pared the spotter for 15x56 swaros, the bag is now a WM badger, I pulled the bottom 2 sections off of my carbon pod, and I have gone ti-al stove setup

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
JPhelps is the helium a down bag? How much $$?

J
J
Highhunter,

It is a 850+ down sleeping bag. It has the full length zipper (some of the older models were half zip). It has worked very well. The only complaint I have is zipping the fabric in the zipper when I don't pay attention (I have learned to always have my finger on the back side of the zipper).

I paid $300 after the discount. I got it from basegear.com in Portland, Or.

You can get 20% off at basegear.com for signing up for their free membership.

http://www.basegear.com/marmot-helium-sleeping-bag-down.html

Last edited by JPhelps; 02/22/10.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Onto Packs now I have been using a LOWE Alpine Australus 80 bought it from campmore in 97 for 80 bucks I haven't seen them since. It has one big cargo area w/ exspandable baffle, 2 bottle pockets on sides and a large pocket pack top. I think it comes in at 4lbs 6oz it does very well upto 55lbs (8 day fishing trip)but last fall was the first time I was hauling 80lbs to get my bear out in 2 trips and I really had to play around with all the straps to avoid getting a back and neck ache. 80-90lbs is probably the limit with this one.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Curious why a guy would want to go ultra light if he is only 3-5 miles from the road? I would be taking in luxury items if I was that close to the road.

But a few things I do when going ultralight. I don't bring a stove, pot, cup or utensil. No water filter. Only one small gatorade bottle for water. Its lighter then a nalgene bottle. Use a light down bag and supplement with my clothes if I get cold at night. Use a bivy and tarp instead of a tent. I don't bring a first aid kit. If you bring rain gear use it as one of your clothing layers even if its not raining.

You cut pounds of by doing this stuff. Not just ounces.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Also if you are looking into getting a new pack look for a pack in the 6-7 pound range. A lot of the packs guys are using are 9+ pounds.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

tuff:

You must be tough (pun intended). I started backpacking in 1958 and have been on maybe 300 wilderness backpacks since then. I use to carry 60# packs when I was young and tough like you. Maybe I've gained some wisdom over the years, or maybe just got whimpy. But I don't pack that much weight any more. It's a lot more enjoyable when my pack is so light that I often forget it's there.

My heaviest pack is a North Face Backshadow and it weighs 7# when empty. I use it to pack out elk hind quarters. But it's not the one that I use for backpacking.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not sure what you mean? Are we talking about backpacking or backpack hunting? Cause there is a huge difference.

My pack weight for an 8 day hunting trip including gun is under 50 pounds. That is including my 12 pound weatherby 30-378, swaro 20-60X80. Imo 48-49 pounds isn't bad when going for eight days with the quality of gear I bring.

As for the weight of the actual pack, glad you use a light pack. What pack is your go to pack for hunting?

As for 300 trips bla bla bla.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tuff
Not sure what you mean? Are we talking about backpacking or backpack hunting? Cause there is a huge difference.

My pack weight for an 8 day hunting trip including gun is under 50 pounds. That is including my 12 pound weatherby 30-378, swaro 20-60X80. Imo 48-49 pounds isn't bad when going for eight days with the quality of gear I bring.

As for the weight of the actual pack, glad you use a light pack. What pack is your go to pack for hunting?

As for 300 trips bla bla bla.

tuff:

If you read the previous posts in this thread, you will see that my hunting pack, for a weekend trip, in snow conditions, with 1 liter of water, including 3# food, weighs less than 30#. When I add the rifle, which I carry on my shoulder, my "outfit weight" is less than 40#. Food weighs 1# 4oz per day so if I'm going for 8 days then I'll have to add 7# for a total of 47#. Sounds like we would be carrying about the same weight. I try to arrange my hunts so I return to base camp every three or four days. So I actually carry about half as much food as you.

I actually take two packs. I use an Osprey Exposure 66 pack that weighs 3# 14 oz. for the backpack in, and as a day pack while hunting. When I get an animal down, I haul out the first light load in my small pack and switch to a bigger pack (North Face "BackShadow") for hauling out elk hind quarters. When all the meat is at base camp. I switch back to the lghter pack and return to retrieve my spike camp.

I'll ignore your final comment in open forum.

KC

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My trips are early archery season but usually very high.

I quit bivying years ago after some varmit chewed through mine [salt?] then it snowed in the Weiminuche for 3 days straight. Water leaked in and froze 1/3 of my pad solid.

I currently use a Cloudburst Tarptent... with floor and bug net at 2.3lbs. Its not the best for heavy snow load though.
I may play with a tipi soon.

Don't really care to do a trip without my Exped Synmatt...Sweeeeet

Really like the Montbell UL stretch bag- very comfortable for a bigger guy and anyone I know who has tried it is amazed. SD makes similar less expensive bags.

I like the tip from my friend Matt to bring protein powder to mix with oatmeal. Prefer Butane stoves

I still need to find a good instant coffee solution- I bring the good grounds

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Curious why a guy would want to go ultra light if he is only 3-5 miles from the road? I would be taking in luxury items if I was that close to the road.

But a few things I do when going ultralight. I don't bring a stove, pot, cup or utensil.

Tuff, when you say luxury items, are you talking about a stove and a spork? wink

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by B_Lance
I still need to find a good instant coffee solution- I bring the good grounds

B_Lance:

You might want to try Folgers Coffee Singles. It's coffee in a tea bag.

KC

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Browtine

Tuff, when you say luxury items, are you talking about a stove and a spork? wink

LOL

But yes I did mean a stove, pot, chair, good sleeping pad and a big tent. That sorta stuff.

Last edited by tuff; 02/26/10.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by KC

tuff:

If you read the previous posts in this thread, you will see that my hunting pack, for a weekend trip, in snow conditions, with 1 liter of water, including 3# food, weighs less than 30#. When I add the rifle, which I carry on my shoulder, my "outfit weight" is less than 40#. Food weighs 1# 4oz per day so if I'm going for 8 days then I'll have to add 7# for a total of 47#. Sounds like we would be carrying about the same weight. I try to arrange my hunts so I return to base camp every three or four days. So I actually carry about half as much food as you.

I actually take two packs. I use an Osprey Exposure 66 pack that weighs 3# 14 oz. for the backpack in, and as a day pack while hunting. When I get an animal down, I haul out the first light load in my small pack and switch to a bigger pack (North Face "BackShadow") for hauling out elk hind quarters. When all the meat is at base camp. I switch back to the lghter pack and return to retrieve my spike camp.

I'll ignore your final comment in open forum.

KC

Sorry. Its hard for me to take a guy seriously when he posts in an ultralight thread and says he brings 3 knives, a headlamp and a flash light.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sorry. Its hard for me to take a guy seriously when he posts in an ultralight thread and says he brings 3 knives, a headlamp and a flash light.

Equally hard to take seriously an abrasive prick. Just a thought...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Two lights and knifes are a good idea. If you loose or break one you are screwed. I BROKE a light in the middle of night, not good. You are talking about 9 oz. extra weight.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by chinadill
Two lights and knifes are a good idea. If you loose or break one you are screwed. I BROKE a light in the middle of night, not good. You are talking about 9 oz. extra weight.

Its an ultra light thread. Maybe I am wrong but carrying three knives, two lights, a compass and a gps, does not really seem ultra light. Those were just the things at the top of his list that I saw. Oh, I forgot about the nalgene bottle and the extra water bladder. Doesn't really seem ultra light.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Brad

Equally hard to take seriously an abrasive prick. Just a thought...

LOL. Not the first time I've been called a prick nor the last I'm sure. Maybe I should send a PM to you and beg for an apology like your buddy KC sent me one. Think I would get one? lmao

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sorry, I was wrong about the weight. Black diamond ion head lamp is 1.1 oz. A.G. russle feather lite knife 1.8oz. I think an extra 3oz is ultra lite. I disagree with Brad you are not a prick, that is the best part of a man.I think [bleep] is a better discription.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.