Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I know it is only offered in a #1 single shot, unless you have a double gun. Which will eliminate it from most of your lists. But those who do use or have seen it used, how does it perform in Alaska? I want to get another #1 and I'm contemplating on getting the 9.3. It seems like it would be good for any heavy stuff I may do and can be easily loaded for lighter duties such as deer. Of course I would heed any advice on prepping it for the trip. I see myself more likely going to hunt in the country of Alaska than going to Africa, and the fishing is better in Alaska if I tag out early.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would consider it a most handy combination for hunting moose and bears.

The cartridge is certainly up to the tasks. The combination of .358"/.366"/.375" bullets in the 250gr. to 300 gr. range at moderate speeds has proven its merrits countless times around the globe on so many species, that there really is nothing to talk about there.

The issue of taking a single shot rifle on such hunts is a personal one.

As a guide in AK I would have no trouble taking a hunter with a SS - maybe just be a little more ready for any possibly neccessary follow up shots.

I think, the combination would be a good one for Alaska.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Good to hear. I have used #1's for quite some time and have a bias toward them. Although I have not hunted dangerous game I have yet to need a second shot. It's was a toss up of a 9.3 or 375 H&H. I just wanted something different. On paper it looks more than capable but, we don't hunt paper now do we......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you really want only one shot when facing down a bear in the Alders? Just a question not a slam.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would hardly recommend the single shots for stunt purposes, but they work just fine if you are thoroughly familiar with them and have confidence in them:

[Linked Image]

#1-S 45-70

[Linked Image]

Ditto, at -30� F

[Linked Image]

9.3 with Hornadys.

All of my guns go bang one at a time. (But I like a revolver in in my belt when I start crawling in willows regardless how fast the rifle can be reloaded.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 9.3 will get the job done.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got this one in a Double Rifle and it's fantastic IMO. In the #1 you'llbe able to load it up alot more than I can to make it better than a factory 375. But then again you can load up a 375 alot more also. I just prefer rimmed cartridges in a single or double.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photos! I guess at least one of us is comfortable taking on moose and Big Bears with a single shot!

Nice...

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, if I was to go to Alaska I wouldn't necessarily be hunting bear but wouldn't rule it out. That was part of my dilemma, a second shot. Which is why I was thinking of a 375 H&H bolt, which is becoming hard to find. If I were to use a single shot on bear I would do some serious shooting to make the re-load a natural motion and make sure it would be a muscle memory action. I have it somewhat down with my 45-70 using dummy shells. Definitely need the tang safety trimmed as this hangs up the shells even with an 06'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a Chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74 and I really like the rifle (aside from the extra difficulty of finding a handload both barrels agree to throwing to the same place) and the 9.3x74 is nice, leggy cartridge pretty much like a 35 Whelen ballistically. That said, I wonder about the availability of the ammo in AK or if that's an issue with you. Assuming you don't already have a #1 in .375 I'd probably opt for that over the 9.3 if bears are on the docket though the latter is certainly easy to shoot and should do the job; there are some good bullets and components available for it now "over here" too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get it in a drilling and hunt anything on the planet...almost. wink

I killed a cape buffalo with a Valmet BBF 12/9,3X74R and one with a Merkel drilling in 12/12/9,3X74R.

LOVE the pictures, BTW!!! cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Klik,
Those are GREAT pictures! Especially the last one with both boys. Thank you for taking time to post them!

Johnny $

p.s. had breakfast with my 2y/o grandson this morning. He threw his Tonka truck at me when he ran out of milk...obviously has his grandmother's attitude!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 1-S in 45-70, which has been long-throated. But it's the same rifle, and it's my favorite. Was looking today at the list of No.1s at the dealer where I bought my CZ and they have a couple in 9.3 X 74R. I'm thinking seriously about it. A friend up in Yellowknife has one. They are much lighter, and a couple of inches shorter, than the No.1-H in 375 H&H with its overweight barrel. Mine is a joy to tote with its 4X by 20mm Burris, which only weighs 8oz, and has an eye relief of 5.5". It's a potent combo.

With good handloads, the 9.3 X 74R isn't far behind the 375H&H.

I'd say, go for it! grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot my last two moose with my Chapuis double in 9,3x74R. Worked like a charm

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brinky72
Well, if I was to go to Alaska I wouldn't necessarily be hunting bear but wouldn't rule it out. That was part of my dilemma, a second shot. Which is why I was thinking of a 375 H&H bolt, which is becoming hard to find. If I were to use a single shot on bear I would do some serious shooting to make the re-load a natural motion and make sure it would be a muscle memory action. I have it somewhat down with my 45-70 using dummy shells. Definitely need the tang safety trimmed as this hangs up the shells even with an 06'

The muscle memory thing is important even with a bolt gun. Let the rifle fling the brass away in practice, just as it will in hunting. And learn to give the #1 a helpful tip when you eject if it wants to rebound the brass for you. (Those bears cost me some lost brass, frown but brass of any flavor can be cheap relative to the situation. grin )

FWIW, all three animals pictured above got more (but didn't necessarily need more) than a single shot. In two of them, a faster reload wouldn't have helped at all in making number two; in the other, the second shot could not have immediately been placed in the animal even with an autoloader, it was "spin and gone" at the slightly misplaced shot.

(I had two rifles along on the second bear, both purchased from Campfire members wink . I left the heavier bolt action 358 Norma close to a mile away across deep, heavy tundra, choosing the more svelte #1-S instead for the trek.)

The cartridge is certainly up to the task (and its shape helps to point the correct end into the chamber even under stress.)

The rifles seem more than capable of reliable functioning.

If anything, it seems that the #1 / cartridge combo can help one stay focused on what can easily be the weak link: the "flesh and blood" part of the equation. Know your part and do it well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the info guys.. As a side note it has helped that my father was a big believer in the "Aim small miss small" theory. The only semi auto he ever owned was an inherited .22 pistol. Always a bolt or single shot. Rarely a need for a follow up shot in our camp. Granted we don't hunt DG but the same principle applies. Make the first one a good one, or don't shoot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.