Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I came home from work and found a box on my front porch. I opened it and found my new pair of Vortex 15x56 Kaibab's. As I unpacked them and got ready to look through them I had no idea what I was in for. I looked through them and I suddenly smiled and was speechless. What I seen was a bright, clear, sharp and wow factor image that I could not get to come out of my mouth. I was beyond impressed and the expression on my face said all I need to say. This was my first impression of the binoculars I had been intently trying to get my hands on to compare with my much favored and much loved Minox BL 13x56 BR and Swarovski 15x56SLCnew. They already showed they had beyond WOW factor but the testing was just beginning. The big test would be a field test on an anticipated javelina hunt.
The second day I had the Vortex binoculars, I ran them through a mid day stack test against my Minox and my Swarovski optics. The hill I was focused on from my back yard is 200 yards away. The hill comprised of a barrel cactus, some prickle pear cactus, rocks, mesquite trees and other desert vegetation. My main object would be the barrel cactus and the prickle pear cactus.
All three optics were focused for the barrel cactus and stacked for quick viewing and comparison then all three were side by side on tripods for a different look besides just the stack. All three optics performed very close. Of the three, I found the Minox to be the brightest. The 2x magnification that the 13x Minox lack allows them to gather light a little better over the two other binoculars in the test. When I looked at image quality, the Vortex blew me away. They showed detail identically to the Swarovski 15�s and were as clear. However the Vortex felt easier on my eyes than the Swarovski. One thing to remember is not all eyes are the same and what my eyes like better might not be what your eyes like better. The one thing I can say is the Swarovski and the Vortex are seemingly identical and it is hard for me to choose one over the other in terms of optical quality.
The binocular case that binoculars come in to me is very important. I feel the case that comes with the Swarovski�s is poor. It lacks protection from accidental drops or from simply being in a day pack. The Minox have a nice leather type case that would do a better job protecting the optics from accidental drop or daypack damage and looks more professional. The Vortex comes with probably the best case of all three. It is a heavy duty outer with a nice soft protective inside layer.
Overall when I compared the optics, I felt the decision to pick from the three would be difficult. However when you look at quality and price it would be a no brainer to go with Minox or Vortex over Swarovski. They are considerably less expensive and optical quality is very similar. I still love the Swarovski 15x56�s, but if I had to buy a pair now, I would not be able to do so. I think the Vortex offer a better image than the Minox and allow for longer glassing without fatigue during the middle of the day. The Minox are brighter so during the day they can cause some fatigue, not much but more than the Vortex. I find the Vortex 15�s to be a better all around product than the Swarovski and Minox big eyes. Though I would not hesitate to buy either I would still have to say the Vortex 15's are my pick in initial comparison and value.
The Minox are the lowest priced binocular in the field. At $829 they are a great buy for the cost conscience person. The Vortex come in at $1199 and the Swarovski are the highest priced binocular tested at $2269. All prices are from cameralandny.com which has a reputation of great prices and excellent customer service.
And as for the field test on the Javelina hunt. I�ll let the picture my hunter in 36C speak for itself.

[Linked Image]

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with everything you've said, I love my Kaibabs! I bought them from Doug at Cameraland and the service was great as always.

You simply cannot go wrong with them

Drummond

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spent a month with the Kaibabs and I agree with a lot of what you said, however, the Vortex test target told a different story. We set up the resolution target supplied by Vortex and tested the 15x56 SLCs, Kaibabs, and Leica Duovids.

The field of view is a little wider with the Swaros, they were a little brighter in low light and they could resolve about 1/2 range better than the Kaibabs and 1/4 better than the Leicas (which are frightfully expensive).

The Kaibabs are able to accommodate narrower eyes sets than the Swarovskis (by far the biggest draw-back with the SLCs)

The Kaibabs are not giving up very much and 90% of the people that looked through them could not tell any difference at all.

They are in no wise a handicap for glassing!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dennis,
Thanks for the info on the resolution test on the target. I didn't compare them in low light, rather I compared them in day situation and against vegitation, so your info is a benefit for this review. I will say I am impressed with them in the field.

Everyone will have a different opinion I would think. So here is the question. Do you think or feel that the Swaro 15's are $1000 better than the Vortex 15's?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Kique,

From your past post, I know how much you love those 13x56 Minox, are you saying you like these new Vortex 15s a bit better? If you had to choose between the 13 Minox and the 15 Vortex for a day's hunt, you would pick the Vortex? I guess that puts Doug's 15x56 Minox in last place of these four? If so, how far back? I was having a hard time justifying the extra cost of the 13s over the older 15s as it is, now we have the Vortex at still more $, though a lot less than the SLCs.

John

IC B2

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John,
I love my Minox! When it came to cost back then I thought there was not better bin for the price. The Minox 13x56's were bright, clear and crisp from edge to edge. When I heard about the new vortex, I tried for a year or so to get a pair to look thru and see how they compared. I finally got my chance and I was and am very impressed. They are not as bright as the Minox, but the faired better in the other areas.
Here's what I think. The 15x58 Minox that Doug has are the best bang for the buck and they are a nice set. You are not losing much in going this route. The 13x56's are the brighter of the 4 and they are one of my favorite bins to look thru. The new Vortex are just that good. They are $400 more than the Minox 13's, but I feel the price is fitting and the bino's are well worth the coin. As much as I love the Swaro's, they are not $1000 plus better than the other 3. So if I was you and were really thinking of the Minox 13's, I would look at them and the Vortex and see which one fits your eyes better. They are very very close, but I think after using them both and reviewing them both, the Vortex have the slight edge.

Sorry to say but Vortex just threw a wrench in the wheel and picking between them and the Minox is a hard decision. If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't consider Swaro as an option because of the price. Sure they are nice, but they will cost you first kid and frankly they are not that much better than the Vortex or Minox.

So yes I like them a little bit better and yes I would rather hunt with the Vortex than the Minox for the day. Doug's 15x Minox, might be in last of the 4, but if cost is an issue they should be number 1. If 1200 bucks is doable and is a consideration, go big and get the Vortex. Swaro's are really becoming over priced. If you want Swaro's get Votex and use the extra coin to buy a new gun or car, house (lol) or something.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I purchased the Kiababs from Doug before my Mule Deer hunt in Utah this past fall. I bought them due to the "Big Eyes" threads here (reading enrique among others), and picked the Kiababs attempting to maximize quality and minimize dollars spent. I was amazed at the difference it made in my hunt. I saw more game then any previous hunt (this area is also rich in elk so it that was fun diversion).

I can not compare the Kiababs to the others discussed, but I can say they are the best binoculars I own and extremely clear and bright.

My only disappointment was with the vortex high country tripod and head - they were very frustrating and flimsy. I plan on upgrading next year.

The buck I shot I was able to spot over a 1/2 mile away and plan a last light shot at him. I had seen this particular buck several times and knew where to be watching.

[Linked Image]

On this trip I became a big believer in both Big Eyes and the Kiababs, particularly for the kind of area in which I hunted.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the hunt and nice pic!

As far as tripods go. I almost got the high country tripod but opted for the pro GT in the pic. When I got it it was heavy. I took the head it came with and switched it with the Jim White head I had on my Velbon. By changing out the head it made the tripod lighter and more managable to carry. Great tripod for sitting and standing. I would recommend it but advise that you switch the head it comes with with a lighter one to save weight.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To me, the SLCs are worth $$$. I only paid $1400 for mine new so can't say if I would have paid $2000.

I have found deer at 5 miles with my 15s (measured with GPS) they make all the difference in the world.

I would not hesitate to buy the Kaibabs if I didn't already have my SLCs, but I do think the SLCs are better.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dennis I agree at $1400 the SLC's are worth the coin. They have served me well in guiding and hunting. But I don't think they are worth $2200. I also don't think they are $1000 better than the Vortex. Just my opinion of course. All the big three bins have gotten to be over priced and unaffordable.

I don't know, but I think with my support for Vortex and Minox as excellent alternatives to the big three, there are going to be some nice debates and hopefully some good insight from others like you and the test you have done with them.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

IC B3

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought the Review was worth a

BUMP

Enrique O. Ramirez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CAN YOU GET ANGLE EYECUPS FOR THESE?

Go Ducks!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Enrique,

I realize that this is an old post. So if Enrique does not answer. Maybe anyone else that feels qualified to do so is more than welcome. I am also one that is debating between the Swarovski 15x56 and the Vortex Kaibab 15x56. Although I pretty much have enough saved to purchase the Kaibabs, I certainly do not want to just purchase them. And then be sorry, and have buyers remorse. So I thought I might give this topic a bump again. And hopefully seal the deal by hopefully getting some more input. Thank you for any input in advance.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Willie, I have a pair of the Kaibabs. I find them to be very clear and overall a pretty good bargain in big eyes. The eyecups are another story. Pretty cheesey to say the least. I will be sending mine to Vortex to get replaced after the winter.
That being said, I still believe you get what you pay for in optics and wish I would have bought the Swarovski 15x56 SLC. If anyone wants to downgrade from Swaro's to Kaibab's (plus some cash of course)let me know. I think we can do some business.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you get the Swaros you will never second guess yourself.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by wdenike
Enrique,

I realize that this is an old post. So if Enrique does not answer. Maybe anyone else that feels qualified to do so is more than welcome. I am also one that is debating between the Swarovski 15x56 and the Vortex Kaibab 15x56. Although I pretty much have enough saved to purchase the Kaibabs, I certainly do not want to just purchase them. And then be sorry, and have buyers remorse. So I thought I might give this topic a bump again. And hopefully seal the deal by hopefully getting some more input. Thank you for any input in advance.

Take care, Willie

Make sure the pupillary distance between your eyes are wide enough for the Swaros. The Kaibabs close a little smaller, 30% of men can't use the swaros...

Anyway, I've seen some good deals on swaros in the classifieds of coueswhitetail.com lately(1500ish), keep an eye out there.

Buy what you can afford, either will find the same game if you learn how to glass with big eyes.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you get the Swaros you will never second guess yourself.

I have a friend who borrowed my Minox 13X56. He brought some Nikons had his brother bring some Swarovskis. He told me his brother told him if he had seen the Minox he would not have paid the big bucks for the Swarovskis.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wow,

Being new to this forum, and seeing the great amount of activity. I certainly was hoping for a firestorm of information. I have read everywhere looking for information. I guess no matter where you turn it is going to be pretty much the same as the Cabelas reviews, just not much available.

Troutslayer: Thanks for your input and that is the first I've heard about the eyecup problem.

TG Roper: Thank you also. I do tend to hear that quite often. But what really makes me worried. Is this only because of the price? As all too often people that spend money(a lot of money). Are not often willing to stand up on top of the mountain and tell the whole world that they were hooked. Which I have always thought is wrong. I thought it would be nice if everybody let the cat out of the bag so that others would not be hooked.

KRP: Also, thanks for your reply. The pupillary distance is a common problem that I have heard of. And will not affect my eyes as I have had a chance to look through the Swaro's in actual hunting conditions. Just haven't had the opportunity to look through the 15x56 Vortex in hunting conditions. KRP I thought glassing in a grid pattern was the only way. Am I missing something?? Thanks again!!

Ringman: thank you also. I too have heard great things about Minox. However, I have never had the opportunity to look through them. But I too would believe that the 13x would lead one to believe that they were better. Because they are two power less than the two binoculars in question. Therefore, being brighter and leading some to believe that there was better clarity.

Anyway, thank you all and may be if this topic keeps staying active. Which I hope it will. Maybe either. I will purchase the vortex, or just keep saving for the swaro's.

Take care, Willie

Last edited by wdenike; 12/30/12.

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
everyone glasses a little different - one of the key issues is patience - that's why everyone recommends tripods!

grid- up - down - left- right it really doesnt matter that much

Some guys will start close and work out -- others the opposite. i prefer to not even use binos till i've really looked hard -especially close-by.they can be standing ther looking at you while you set-up.-lol

when ya get to the serious glassin - it's easier to move quickly when veiwing close -objects and as you look father away -you really got to stop and eyeball the whole area within view.

a how to glass topic/thread will get lots of different ideas!

In Az have to do a lot of serious glassin when hunting the little coues or even javelina as they can be really hard to find - elk - muleys are generally easier to find.

i got a pair of docters 15x60's- though big and cumbersome- the optics are really clear and pickin out little details is much easier.

you can always upgrade optics but it hard to upgrade from Swaro's --- lol

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by wdenike

KRP: Also, thanks for your reply. The pupillary distance is a common problem that I have heard of. And will not affect my eyes as I have had a chance to look through the Swaro's in actual hunting conditions. Just haven't had the opportunity to look through the 15x56 Vortex in hunting conditions. KRP I thought glassing in a grid pattern was the only way. Am I missing something?? Thanks again!!

There's no 'only' way to glass, especially for coues... knowing how to see is more important than brand of glass ultimately.

Brand discussion is it's own subject not necessarily the same as glassing technique.

A good glasser with a 50.00 bino will out glass a newbe with 2000.00 glass.

I'm out of town so my reply is short but not meant to be offending, I can discuss more when I return home if you want.

Kent

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.