Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok im fixin to glass bed and free float my factory stock on my 2002 Pre 64 Model 70 Classic Sporter.

My gun shoots really well as is. But this past hunting season I hunted in some really sandy areas and my gun felt gritty. So I pulled off the stock to give it a through cleanning. In doing so some of the winchester bedding stuff, clear hard resin it looks like, chipped off. I thought I would goahead and glass bed it since everthing I seem to read says this can only help in a guns performance.

Before I tear into it was wondering what aftermarket synthetic stocks are available. Most companies list stocks for the post 64 model 70's. I guess my guestion is do they mean guns manufactured befor 1964 or guns with the pre 64 action? Im thinkin if screw things up I would like a McMillan or HS Percision.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Last edited by Badley; 02/24/10.
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is interesting. I'm also an okie and just today I worked on my Classic M70, digging out the factory hot glue after a large chung flaked off when removing the action from the stock. Of course I replaced with steel bed.

I'm a little confused about your post. You said it is a pre 64 Classic. However, they are not the same. Despite the advertising and the attached tag, there are differences between the Classics and the Pre 64 Model 70's. I believe this differnce extends to stock choice as well. I could be wrong, but you definately want to be sure.

Brent

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Also, I have rifles sitting in factory wood stocks and synthetics by HS Precision, B & C, and McMillan. Of these Mickeys are my favorite.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
There's a difference among the pre-64, post-64 push feed, and post-64 Classic actions.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think whats confusing you is hte same thing that is confusing me. I bought the gun new in 2002. Had the pre 64 tags on it with the claw, im sure you know what im talking about. I think, this refering to the extractor used on the bolt, being the same type used on the model 70's manufactured before 1964. But I am unsure what aftermarket stock I would need to purchase if I decide to go syntheic. Not so much as the brand of stock to order, but rather the action to order the stock for.

Jason

IC B2

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John, can you explain the difference please?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your rifle has a serial number lower than 700,000, it is a pre-64. If the serial number is greater than 700,000 or has a G prefix, it's a post-64. If it has the "claw" extractor and the G prefix, it is a post-64. For details on all of the differences, you will have to consult someone more knowledgeable than me.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jason, the pre-'64 and the Classic can be considered the same STYLE of action but with different inletting and most parts. Due to the public's high regard for the Pre-'64, Winchester, marketed the Classic as a recreation of the Pre-'64.

For stocks, there are pre-'64 and post-'64. Pushfeed post'64 and the later CRF Classic use the same stock. Assuming, as always, the same action length.

Clear as mud?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Badley
I think whats confusing you is hte same thing that is confusing me. I bought the gun new in 2002. Had the pre 64 tags on it with the claw, im sure you know what im talking about. I think, this refering to the extractor used on the bolt, being the same type used on the model 70's manufactured before 1964. But I am unsure what aftermarket stock I would need to purchase if I decide to go syntheic. Not so much as the brand of stock to order, but rather the action to order the stock for.

Jason

Yep. I know exact the tags you're referring to. I have one tacked next to my loading bench. The Classics are definately not the same as a Pre 64, but they're close enough for it not to have been false advertising...lol. Regarding stock fit I think the Classic's action length and screw spacing are different from a Pre 64.

Brent

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
THanks McCray. That was the exact info I was looking for.

IC B3

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So OKbowman, How did the steelbead turn out? The Winchester hot glue seems really thick. Did you remove all of it out of the lug slot? Or did you remove just a some of it and use a skim coat of steel bedding? Did you sand out the contact point that about three inche in front of the Lug slot?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Badley
So OKbowman, How did the steelbead turn out? The Winchester hot glue seems really thick. Did you remove all of it out of the lug slot? Or did you remove just a some of it and use a skim coat of steel bedding? Did you sand out the contact point that about three inche in front of the Lug slot?

I'll know in about 15 minutes. Yes, I removed all of the glue, including from the lug mortise. I used a small screwdrived and heated the tip with a torch. It only took about 15 minutes to remove it all. I have not removed the contact point...yet. I bought this rifle new about 15 years ago and it has always shot great. However, last summer a chunk of the hot glue came out so I decided it was time for an upgrade to Steel Bed. I'll see how it shoots before I start sanding on the pressure point.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool.. OKbowman. I would like to hear your final results. By the way, where ya from in Oklahoma.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It came out okay, but not perfect. I little touch up is needed, but since I haven't done a ton of bedding I expect this. Although truth be told it will probably shoot better as is than it did with that lousy factory glue job.

I like outside McLoud, which is about 10 minutes from Shawnee. I see you're from Alva. How's the pheasant population areound there?

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not so good right around here. I believe its better over by medford and out around the guymond area.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I know a lot of folks don't like the Panhandle but I think it's a game country.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I know a lot of folks don't like the Panhandle but I think it's a game country.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.