Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey all,

I have a buddy who is checking out Okanogan Valley Guide Service ( http://okanoganvalleyguideservice.com/ ) and he was hoping to get some feedback from folks who have hunted with them.

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Jim Zumbo used them. Not sure that's a good or bad thing, however.
http://www.shootingpages.com/outfitters.asp?ID=868

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I dont know anything about the guide but I think they had a booth at last years sportsman show, in Puyallup. I've been hearing the snow over in Okanogan is pretty bad this year. Locals are expecting a bad winter kill.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
S
I know this is an older post, but for those still curious about Okanogan Valley Guide Service (Jerrod Gibbons), there are a few things you should know that might help you make your decision.
1. His guides are his buddies, not necessarily business men with deer smarts.
2. His guides get paid ($100 per day) while they're out in the field guiding... after you get your deer, the big money stops. To your guide, the difference between helping you get your deer on day 1 vs. day 4 is $300. Hope you packed for 4 days...
3. If you're a new client, from back East, and have nothing extra to offer to Jerrod you'll be put on the crappiest piece of land he leases. Really, your just a number.
4. Not all guides are the same, obviously, but 2 of Jerrod's top guides over the last 5 years have walked away from him for various reasons I'm sure you'd love to know about...
5. One last small thing - an issue for some. If you like a cuss-free camp, this isn't it. Jerrod and his buddies have a limited vocab and swearing is one of their usual ways of communication.

Happy hunting and best of luck with your search for a good guide.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good report.

Really, your just a number

And that really says it all about 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by Spkn2wnd
I know this is an older post, but for those still curious about Okanogan Valley Guide Service (Jerrod Gibbons), there are a few things you should know that might help you make your decision.
2. His guides get paid ($100 per day) while they're out in the field guiding... after you get your deer, the big money stops. To your guide, the difference between helping you get your deer on day 1 vs. day 4 is $300. Hope you packed for 4 days...
3. If you're a new client, from back East, and have nothing extra to offer to Jerrod you'll be put on the crappiest piece of land he leases. Really, your just a number.
4. Not all guides are the same, obviously, but 2 of Jerrod's top guides over the last 5 years have walked away from him for various reasons I'm sure you'd love to know about...
5. One last small thing - an issue for some. If you like a cuss-free camp, this isn't it. Jerrod and his buddies have a limited vocab and swearing is one of their usual ways of communication.

now now jason thats no way to talk about yer brother and his buisness!! anyone reading this post should know that jerrods Brother "spkn2wnd" is all sorts of butt hurt cuz he thinks he was a big shot in the buisness when really all he was was a guide who took out one person a year for the past few years and did a good job with that hunter. But after thinking he was underpaid and over worked or some bs got mad and has been bad mouthing his brother ever since! two of his best guides walked?? one was asked to leave and the other took a year off to hunt for himself! the one that left to hunt for himself was one of his top guides and the other being spkn2wnd was an ok guide at best! i have guided for jerrod since he started and my goal is to make the client happy with his experiance and if that takes 4 days then so be it but i can honestly say that since i have started the only time i have ever had to hunt a 2nd day was becouse the hunter missed a shot or becouse the hunter wanted to hunt longer. guiding isnt about the money its about enjoying hunting and helping others enjoy the outdoors as i do! ps spkn2wnd this crap is gettin old and awefully childish grow up a tad! yer true charictor is really shinnin through now!

S
S
Wow! Jason dont you think your acting a bit childish trying to demoralize your brothers business for your own personal satisfaction.
1. As for "Friends with no deer smarts" Collectively the guides in the camp count for several 100 years of hunting experience around and in the areas being used for guiding purposes.
2. $100/day for guiding I beg to differ you tried to get paid that for sitting in camp drinking coffee, while you where supposed to be spotting the hill side for your fellow guides,who actually had deer smarts and got a deer that morning w/o your help . Also Fuel costs were covered and in your case a vehicle to use for transportation
3. taking your time to get Deer Dont think so. I as well as the other guides get satisfaction from getting our client a deer and would regret not taking any opportunity at a deer
4.I cant speak for the guys that have left but Jerrod has treated me very fair during the time i have guided for him and am looking forward to another awesome deer season next year.
5. Jason you are a peice of work "Limited Vocab" those are kind of big words for you!!

Sorry to all the members of 24hourcampfire who are seeing this seperation of brothers. If you have any questions about the experience with Okanogan valley guide service please be our guest and contact one of the many refrences that are available on request from OkanoganValleyGuideService.com

Originally Posted by 4x4hotrod
Originally Posted by Spkn2wnd

now now jason thats no way to talk about yer brother and his buisness!! anyone reading this post should know that jerrods Brother "spkn2wnd" is all sorts of butt hurt cuz he thinks he was a big shot in the buisness when really all he was was a guide who took out one person a year for the past few years and did a good job with that hunter. But after thinking he was underpaid and over worked or some bs got mad and has been bad mouthing his brother ever since! two of his best guides walked?? one was asked to leave and the other took a year off to hunt for himself! the one that left to hunt for himself was one of his top guides and the other being spkn2wnd was an ok guide at best! i have guided for jerrod since he started and my goal is to make the client happy with his experiance and if that takes 4 days then so be it but i can honestly say that since i have started the only time i have ever had to hunt a 2nd day was becouse the hunter missed a shot or becouse the hunter wanted to hunt longer. guiding isnt about the money its about enjoying hunting and helping others enjoy the outdoors as i do! ps spkn2wnd this crap is gettin old and awefully childish grow up a tad! yer true charictor is really shinnin through now!

I have been guiding for Jerrod for several years and not only can I not complain about the $$$ but I also think Jerrod runs a top notch service. I can address these issues one by one:
1. Most of the guides are Jerrod�s buddies. They are seasoned hunters in whom he can trust. I view this as a positive, not a negative.
2. To imply that guides purposely wait until the last day to harvest a deer because they will get paid more in absurd on several levels;
a. Guides who successfully harvest their deer early are tasked with other work if in fact they want to get paid. That is, Jerrod will pay his guides to scout more deer for the next group of hunters, have them cut firewood, clean up camp, help clients sight in their rifles, etc. Conversely, if you go out and hunt on your own, take out your father in law on a hunting trip outside the guide business, or just disappear for a day or 2, you shouldn�t expect to get paid. There�s always plenty to do around camp if you want to earn your $$$.
b. Our guides don�t do it for the money!!! In fact, many of us use personal vacation time away from our families and higher paying jobs to guide. We do it because we love it. You can�t put a price on spending time in God�s country.
c. Guides will never, ever pressure clients into taking a shot an animal they are not happy with; whether on day 1 or day 4. We will offer our professional opinion however on whether or not we think we will find bigger bucks and hold off on shooting the first buck we see. That�s what we�re paid for, but ultimately the choice to squeeze the trigger is up to the paying client.
3. I don�t even know what this means. None of Jerrod�s clients have anything �extra to offer�. Everyone is treated equally whether they�re from �back east� or they�re from Seattle. I think our 75% return clientele speaks for itself�.p.s. there are no crappy leases. We have deer everywhere!!!
4. 4x4hotrod addressed this; no further comment necessary.
5. Foul language? Really? That�s your complaint? We had a Christian Pastor and his family in camp last season and they just re-booked 8 deer hunts for 2010. Apparently they weren�t offended by our �limited vocab��..
Spkn2wnd, whoever he is, is obviously suffering from a bad case of sour grapes or really doesn't have any idea what he�s talking about. Whichever, he should remember that I.P. addresses can be traced and slander can be prosecuted.
To Waders, I would have your buddy call Jerrod directly (phone # available on website) and get a list of references (past clients) and call them directly. Have him ask pointed questions and do his research. I have no doubt that he will find Okanogan Valley Guide Service to be a quality outfit. If I didn�t think Jerrod ran a tight ship, I wouldn�t be guiding for him. I�d be chasing my own buck!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
you all really need to take your little girl fight elsewhere...

This is a forum where real hunters try and get info, not a place for a pissing match between a bunch of wanta-be guides or whatever....

Also all of these first time posters screem one person making several screen-names to make it look like lots of people on their side, childish at best

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
waders which hunt is he looking at? there can be a difference in the general and the high hunt.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The sense I get from the pissers is that they deserve each other, and we don't deserve any of them. They should keep their circle jerk at home, and not bother us.

Originally Posted by Neutral88
you all really need to take your little girl fight elsewhere...

This is a forum where real hunters try and get info, not a place for a pissing match between a bunch of wanta-be guides or whatever....

Also all of these first time posters screem one person making several screen-names to make it look like lots of people on their side, childish at best

You guys are right. This forum shouldn't have been used as a means to solve a squabble, or turn into a pissing match. The only reason I posted a response was because Okanogan Valley Guide Service shouldn't take the brunt of a former guide's displeasure. I (and I'm sure Jerrod) am sorry that folks had to read this crap, however, the start of this thread was an inquiry about WA guide services, and I felt compelled to try and "stop the bleeding". We are a quality service with thousands of satisfied clients and although it may appear that one person was posting under several screen names, I can assure you that it wasn't and that all of us who work for Jerrod take this stuff pretty personally.

Again, I'm sorry. That being said, spring is in the air and turkeys are starting to gobble. Good luck to all and happy hunting!!!

H
H
I would never use them the guy is a jerk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.