24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would see if it is indeed a salt wood stock. You can do like Hawk said and remove the screws in the butt plate to check for rust.

Really just check the normal stuff, cracks in the stock, loose hardware. I would ask to shoot it as well, to make sure there are no issues with the bolt mechanism, firing pin, feeding, trigger and see what kind of groups I got.

If you can get me the serial number, I can get you the date of MFG. The date of MFG is no gaurantee of salt wood but checking the screws will tell the story.

JM

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't believe, though, that any of the Sako action Brownings had the salt wood problem.

I own two and have had one other that begs to differ.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buttplate screws aren't always a 100% reliable way to check.I had a salt gun which broke out heavily in the action area,yet it never rusted the buttplate screws.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Hawk,

I think they used that wood on everything, shotguns and rifles. I may be wrong though.

I'll pm you my address for that rifle. I'm glad you weren't killed. You should thank me.

JM
Nice to know someone's rooting for me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't believe, though, that any of the Sako action Brownings had the salt wood problem.

I own two and have had one other that begs to differ.

Brian.
Ok. My mistake.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No worries.There is more disinformation out there about these rifles than any other mass produced rifle,ever.

A good book to own is Matt Eastman's Browning book.It's got an excellent,detailed chapter on this rifle.It has a couple of minor technical errors,but it's still the bible when it comes to these guns.Or any vintage Browning,for the matter.Well worth the money.

Brian.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
No worries.There is more disinformation out there about these rifles than any other mass produced rifle,ever.

A good book to own is Matt Eastman's Browning book.It's got an excellent,detailed chapter on this rifle.It has a couple of minor technical errors,but it's still the bible when it comes to these guns.Or any vintage Browning,for the matter.Well worth the money.

Brian.
That book is sitting on the shelf just a few feet from me right now. I was just too lazy to take it down, and was going on memory from having read it about ten years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a good coffee table book.Great pictures.

Brian.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep. Covers just about everything Browning.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I had one for this deal.
sounds like I could have a Gem or a lemon until I get it in my hands, makes me a little nervous

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the way it goes with Brownings.I've had to send a bunch of them back over the years.

Brian.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tell me about this salt wood. Was this wood recovered from the ocean, or some sort of curing operation?

Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think it was how they cured it but one of the gentlemen above would know for sure.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was furniture wood,bought from a factory in South America IIRC.Cured with salt.Only problem was,that once the salt came through the finish,that it eats the gun away to nothing.One of the major blunders in modern firearms history.Totally distroyed a lot of high end Browning rifles and shotguns.The T-Bolt and Superposed shotguns were hit hardest.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brian, I gotta get that book. I heard Browning offered to replace those stocks, but FN balked, the number was just too great and the work would have practically shut down the factory.

Are you still dealing in Highpowers? When I drum up some money for another I'll give you a call if you are.

Best,

JM.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
I think it was how they cured it but one of the gentlemen above would know for sure.
They were having trouble getting a sufficient supply of cured wood, so they developed a shortcut curing process involving the use of salt. Little did they know that guns made with the salt cured wood would cause all the guns to rust away where they contacted their wood stocks. There was a huge recall, and they replaced the stocks on all the rifles sent in, but lots of people either didn't hear about the recall, or didn't care, so lots of the salt wood stocks are still out there. I have two Browning rifles from the 1960s, but neither of them have the salt wood stocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning Salt wood guns run from about 1967 to 71,72,depending on blanks left over. The "salt wood" came from the brine solution sold by the "Morton Salt Co" to "quick-dry" wood for many uses.
And of course,the years played it toll on the metal,both FN's ad Sako action rifles,as well as Superposed shotguns. If you ever wish to see a grown man cry,ask someone that has owned a Diana or Midas grade and left it in it's box for investment purposes...
Dealers have to watch for these,as well as collectors,the "salt-infested" guns will only bring about half of a clean gun,so that's why you see the prices all over the place..

Last edited by rifle; 03/03/10.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Are you still dealing in Highpowers? When I drum up some money for another I'll give you a call if you are.

I still do,though not as much as I used.Drop me a line whenever,if I don't have what you need,I can put you in touch with people who do.

Brian.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.