Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, the Williams is a similar style, but they don't look the same.

Brian

Brian

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, Ive wondered the same about the redfields. I have one that would mount with no wood removal needed.

I pulled a Redfield off one EG and found the wood had been inleted for the long verticle adjustment screw (the screw could have been trimed instead).

On yet another EG I found that a portion of the stock was cut away just to fit the base of the sight onto the gun.

Maybe Redfield changed their base dimensions over the years of production.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As we spoke about it at the Fest, I've often wondered if it was because Redfields specs varied or as Rory has queried, if Savage's dimensions varied. It seems that the Lymans always fitted properly so perhaps their specs were more generous. Maybe Rick should call for a survey to see if only Redfields needed inletting from time to time or if Lyman sights needed inletting too.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Question for you fellas on tang sights as I have one coming for my 99 now and have never used one before. Will it require me to replace the front sight blade with a taller or shorter one? Also, will I have to remove the open rear sight that's on the rifle (sorry if that's a dumb question, but looking at how a tang rides so tall I wonder)?

I have used Lyman and Williams reciever sights on other guns and like them, I shoot much, much better with a peep than with open sights. I am going to be on the lookout for a Redfield similar to the one pictured here as I think I would prefer something like that to a tang sight, but I'm gonna try the tang sight first.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Usually either have a flip down rear sight, or people take the elevator out of the sight, then lose it, then wish they hadn't. Trick on one of the posts was to oil the elevator lightly, wrap it and put it in the hole in the buttstock where the main screw hole is under the buttcap. On my two 99's with lyman peeps, the rear sight and the peep cowitness, meaning that the rear sight doesn't obscure the tip of the front, but obscures the bottom of it and more or less makes the peep unnecessary or difficult to use. Elevator removed and stored as above on one, the other came with Lyman #6 type flip down rear. John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any portion of the rear sight that remains visible through a peep sight is a hindrance pure and simple. Mount the tang sight, knock out the rear sight and replace with a slot blank, or a fold down rear sight. Yes, oft times a taller front sight is needed, some times not. One way to find out.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by johnsavage
Usually either have a flip down rear sight, or people take the elevator out of the sight, then lose it, then wish they hadn't. Trick on one of the posts was to oil the elevator lightly, wrap it and put it in the hole in the buttstock where the main screw hole is under the buttcap. On my two 99's with lyman peeps, the rear sight and the peep cowitness, meaning that the rear sight doesn't obscure the tip of the front, but obscures the bottom of it and more or less makes the peep unnecessary or difficult to use. Elevator removed and stored as above on one, the other came with Lyman #6 type flip down rear. John

That's what I've done in the past on Marlin and Winchester lever guns, and it's what I figured I'd do with this one. I like the idea of putting the original rear sight in the stock, I wonder if I could fit the whole sight inside. I really hope the original front sight blade will work, I'd prefer to leave it alone as much as I can.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.