Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 62 63
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Having poked around the outdoors my whole life , I've stumbled onto a number of finds over the years.

My modest bowl collection.
[Linked Image]

Seems the kids are always turning up arrow heads.
[Linked Image]

You guys have any good stuff to share?

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice obsidian.
I have a few things but no pictures.
Mostly Bird points and a few fetish items.
The mano and metate collection is nice too.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ps,
All of these are from private property making them legal in California.

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
>You guys have any good stuff to share?

I have some info to share. If you picked up, or dug up, that stuff from public land you're guilty of several felonies. Just one would cost you your gun rights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my grandmother has or had a bunch of hammerstones and arrow points, infact there are tipi rings off of what used to be their north fields.....but after 2 generations looking over their property before i came along ive never come across anything...

anymore i hunt mainly public lands, havent seen any native artifacts but im looking at my feet as much as up looking for deer or such....where i normally hunt is part of the Hell Creek Formation and is full of dinosaur fossils, lots of cool stuff has been found by hunters out there but i havent been lucky enough to stumble on anything yet.....cant collect vertebrate fossils off public land but i can get credit for finding it grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Indians camped along the creek that runs through the little valley where I live.
The creek runs right through my back yard.

Most of the neighboring ranches have camps on their property.
Every winter a lot of new stuff seems to come to the surface.

Again all perfectly legal due to the fact that it is private ground.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only artifacts around here are empty bottles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice finds

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sal, we don't see much obsidian around here. Most of the stuff here is petrified wood. I found these points on a jobsite while framing a house. The owner didn't want them....

[Linked Image]

This thumb scraper was found in a driveway at a ranch. People had to have walked over it a bazillion times in the last 150 years....
[Linked Image]

I also found a slightly more modern artifact while remodeling the same ranchhouse. A Henry copper cartridge that had multiple firing pin hits, stuffed in a crack of the 1870's log house.....Maybe failed during an injun fight?.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arrowheads are legal to pick up.

Private property artifacts are legal to pick up, no skeleton and burial objects now.

Artifacts are legal to own that were obtained legally at the time of discovery, many laws have changed over the years and proving illegal discovery would be hard on a 800 year old object in your house.

Kent

IC B3

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Interesting thread. Before we became such a PC country looking for artifacts was great clean fun. As a boy I spent many a Spring and Summer day walking the creek and river side fields of corn in NE Iowa collecting them. Then in the early 1960's we spent nearly the full summers for 3 years on the shores of the Missouri digging the villages north of the Oaha dam.
But my greatest find is a dinosaur, let me give you the exact location...40 miles NE of Jordan Mt....That should narrow it down a bit. smile Really neat to find one. I found it while Antelope hunting. Its on BLM land so I didn't take any of it and I have told no one of its exact location. Really fantastic to find.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, you might google "Dalton Hunter". He is one of my best friends for years, and lives in SW MO. I have always kidded him about his pointed rocks. I can give you a ph# if it's not on his site. His opening pic from Table Rock lake in the 1960's is hanging on my wall. Good luck.

Last edited by croldfort; 03/05/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a few I found by Hebgen Lake. We used to go there every spring and hunt the beaches where the water was low and we found dozens of artifacts.

The top casing was actually found not far from Reno-Benteen battle site, down on the Little Bighorn river. It is a 50-70 casing.

The other casing is a 45-70, found on the beach by Hebgen Lake. Notice how the case mouth is smashed, something that whites were told to do with fired casings so that Indians couldn't reuse the case.

The large implement is a knife found in the same area. The square implement is a flint from a flintlock rifle that an Indian had converted fro use as a scraper.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here some my father found, in Tenn. as a boy plowing behind a mule![Linked Image]The one with the silver chain, my Grandfather found as a boy in southern Ill. the native american that wraped the silver around it said, it was big Med. as it has blue veins running thru it!
John

Last edited by saddlering; 03/05/10.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is one of the plates we have showing various artifacts. All of these were found in the same vicinity, showing various mediums which were used in making the artifacts. This is also an indication of different tribes as well as the possibility of trading materials between tribes.

[Linked Image]

This particular point is unique in it's design and purpose. Although it looks crudely unfinished, it is not.

[Linked Image]

Looking down on it from the end you can see that opposite sides are parallel, something very rare, but still the design of this point...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I live on a road known to be an old indian trail. When I was a kid I found a few arrow heads while helping my dad farm. Here is an axe head I found while woodchucking a few years ago
[Linked Image]

I am one gun away from happy
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My Great Grandmother gave me this stone axe head when I was a kid. I've been told by a collector that it was the biggest one [of that type], that she'd ever seen.

[Linked Image]

She also gave me this piece. It's basically just a flat volcano type rock that I was told was a cornmeal grinder or something to that effect.

[Linked Image]

Although this isn't exactly an artifact, I've always liked it. I found it on a hill top in Kansas. It's some type of coral.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've picked up a bunch of arrowheads in South Texas but nothing really over an inch long. I've seen them in ranch houses, big spear heads but I've never seen them.

I once walked down a sendaro for about 300 yards and it came up the lightest rain in the world for about 5 minutes. I turned around to walk back to the truck and I musta picked up or saw about 50 arrowheads that just seemed to pop up after the rain that I missed just minutes before. Wierd.

I've never found one here in East Texas or Louisiana where I used to live but vegetation grows up so fast. What I do find here in East Texas every year when I run the turning plow thru the ditch to clear it out is a bunch of shark teeth.

Last edited by NathanL; 03/05/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, ground cover here in east Texas is a killer to finding stuff. Not much row cropping to expose it anymore either.

I have some stuff I found over the years. Had a really nice Caddo pipe I found cute little thing had a shallow bowl @ inch in diameter on top of a lump of clay that had a bear?Dog? wolf?something on the front. Back had a hole for a reed stem.

I professor from Steven F Austin that I showed it to talked me into lending it to him to study. I guess he is still studying it because that was forty some years ago and I have never gotten it back.

Ended my co-operation with professional archeologists.

Prize of my modist collection is a clovis type. A couple of archelogy pros that have seen it wanted it bad and said it was authentic. I still have it.

Found a few burials but our Indians were poor as job's turkey. Nothing there but bones. You can see them but you can't excavate them. Touch them and they crumble due to the soil being so acid. I won't tell anybody where they are.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I went out the front door of our cabin in Central Oregon one morning to find two real Indians standing by my truck. We were going hunting.

I threw them back. Thought about keeping them but the ate way too much. grin

Man I miss those guys, they were keepers.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.