Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yeah, it might be capable of more FPS's. I've not pushed it to see where the top is. it does 2950 with the 260 AB and that will probably suffice my needs. I'm gonna play with seating depth to see if I can pull the 3rd shot flyer on each group back in with the other two. The first two shots are cutting each other's holes. Third shot is stepping out an inch and more. It is a 24" bbl rum whereas most of the earlier ones were 26". I just have gotten started on loading for this 375 so as time goes on; I'll probably find the magic pixie dust it dotes on. For now I'm concentrating on IMR 4350. Going by the Nosler book in a 26" bbl, IMR 4350 was fastest at 96gr-3026fps w/260 gr bullet. If I'm at 2950 in a 24" at the same charge weight, I'd say I'm close enough. No animal on earth will notice I left 50 or 100 fps on the table. Firing the max charge of 4350-- 96gr, When I reloaded the cases today the brass was in good shape with nice tight primer pockets still. With my other Rums that is usually the most common/consistent indicator of running too hot--expanded primer pockets, which render your brass to the junk heap. I'm not talking about the primer falling out but still when repriming with a hand primer, the primer seats with WAY less resistance than the last time the case was primed (after the 1st firing on the case. I want to get several firings out of a case since they aren't exactly super cheap.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
hey , I'm all for ya if the 2950 is where you want to be .

thats the nice thing about the big case ......you can load it up or down as the situation calls for .

the accubond is a dandy bullet and I can tell you it is quite flat at those speeds .

you might consider a somewhat slower powder though.....4350 is about ideal for the smaller Weatherby case

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a .375H&H along with a .375-Wby, no need to stock pile .375 calibers other than those at our place. If it comes to cape buffalo, I personally like the idea of the .416 Remgington a whole lot better, it shoots plenty flat with 300 grain bullets too. Just my 2cents!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Fotis,
Sorry for the speedy mistake, I have no idea where that 180 gr. came from, a senior moment I suppose...

Yes I have seen Saeed and his coharts use both the 270 and 300 gr. monlithics, both Barnes and those of his own make, the famous Walter Hogg bullet! smile smile

No doubt the fast .375s work on buffalo very well indeed, but then so does the old standard .375 H&H with the right bullets..As a matter of fact the 30-06 with 220 gr. Noslers and 220 gr. Woodleigh solids works pretty darn well on the black bulls, but the .375 would be a better bet for sure, and the 40 calibers are even better.

Last edited by atkinson; 02/18/10.
D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thats what I thought but H4831 SC was a slow dog! Wayyy shy of predicted velocity at max charge of 101 gr. 4350 kicked its ARSE.. Thats why I kinda think that with the 260 gr bullet that 4350 prob is ok. fills the case but don't have to tamp the bullet down!! lol!

Last edited by Dufur; 02/18/10.
IC B2

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I made it out to shoot this weekend. Played with seating depth and stayed with the 96 gr imr4350 charge, rem 9.5m primer, rem case, 260 ab. I thought that seating deeper would pull that flyer back in but it really didn't do much. went from 3.610 all the way down to 3.570. I did find sub inch group out of 3.630 oal. I'll try it again. It was about .9 Ctr to ctr @ 2950 fps. I might switch primers and see what that does. I actually had a complete misfire with the 9.5M; hit it twice with the firing pin but to no avail. so will try fed 15 and cci250's.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I shoot a custom 9.3mm RUM (9.3 Ashley). I built the rifle on an SPS 300 RUM doner action and was talked into a standard weight 26" tube by PACNOR (Big MISTAKE!)I had wanted to go with a 25" safari profile heavier barrel. For reference I enjoy recoil to include my RSM 500 Jeffery, RSM 458 Lotts.... However, that 9.3mm in my 8lb rifle is a whole different ball game. I haven't done much with it lately because of this. I find it to be less than fun to shoot. I was able to push 250grn Nolsers over 3100 fps and 286grn NP at 2850fps (until I finally got Quick Loads and realized my calc. pressures were about 75k PSI)YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK YOUR LOADS since my 700 didn't show a lot of pressure signs. At this point I think that one needs to really set a rifle up for this kinda recoil much more so than for your standard big bore rounds. Since I got a 325 WSM and a 416 Rigby (and 2 375 H&H's) the 9.3mm is kinda of an odd duck right now. I'll mostly buy a HS stock with TWO recoil reducers and try some more with it once I draw an Elk tag. However, I may rechamber my Win 70 Safari in 375 H&H to 375 RUM? confused Since I picked up my Kimber 89BGR my winchester has gotten a little too dusty. I was thinking about convertinga RSM in 375 H&H to 378 Weatherby but opening the Win 70 up to 375 RUM might be the best way to go?

Brad smile

Last edited by pillshooter; 03/02/10. Reason: Added Info
D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
well, I am at book max.. ur right.. it doesn't show any obvious over pressure signs. bolt lift, ejection, are good. no head stamps on the case head. Primer pockets are still tight. I'm at book max per nosler. 260 gr ab at 2950 w/24" bbl. Imr 4350 96 gr. You are right however...the more I shoot this 8 lb gun, the more I have decided that yes it does kick the [bleep] outta me. At first I thought it was a walk in the prk but after 20 rds in a session I have a headache. it comes back hard and fasssst. moreso than my other rums. The gun is just so light and that's the reason. I am determined to learn to shoot it well however. I figure if I can shoot the hard kickin sob well then all the rest will seem really like a walk in the park.. mind over matter! I do usually run my rums right at book max or so.. I figure I have them for the performance so wring it out. To a point...that is. Still like my face and enjoy getting 5 or more reloads per case. I haven't owned a 375 H&H or others so I cant know how much they kick or if the extra one gets with the rum is worth it. The rum is what I have and that's what I'll shoot. It can't be much worse if at all over the 378 wby even though the mark V is heavier. That has to push back at book loads. no question. The bench is the hardest part of shooting these I think... just have to fool the brain and relax and take the hit with it to get good groups... turn it off if you will smile.. I usually bring several rifles to the range and start with the lightest caliber and end with the 375 rum. That way shooting the 375 doesn't make me jumpy when testing loads on the others. It do make you feel like it has enough power to kill all creatures that walk/crawl however. Not a bad thing smile

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dufur
well, I am at book max.. ur right.. it doesn't show any obvious over pressure signs. bolt lift, ejection, are good. no head stamps on the case head. Primer pockets are still tight. I'm at book max per nosler. 260 gr ab at 2950 w/24" bbl. Imr 4350 96 gr. You are right however...the more I shoot this 8 lb gun, the more I have decided that yes it does kick the [bleep] outta me. At first I thought it was a walk in the prk but after 20 rds in a session I have a headache. it comes back hard and fasssst. moreso than my other rums. The gun is just so light and that's the reason. I am determined to learn to shoot it well however. I figure if I can shoot the hard kickin sob well then all the rest will seem really like a walk in the park.. mind over matter! I do usually run my rums right at book max or so.. I figure I have them for the performance so wring it out. To a point...that is. Still like my face and enjoy getting 5 or more reloads per case. I haven't owned a 375 H&H or others so I cant know how much they kick or if the extra one gets with the rum is worth it. The rum is what I have and that's what I'll shoot. It can't be much worse if at all over the 378 wby even though the mark V is heavier. That has to push back at book loads. no question. The bench is the hardest part of shooting these I think... just have to fool the brain and relax and take the hit with it to get good groups... turn it off if you will smile.. I usually bring several rifles to the range and start with the lightest caliber and end with the 375 rum. That way shooting the 375 doesn't make me jumpy when testing loads on the others. It do make you feel like it has enough power to kill all creatures that walk/crawl however. Not a bad thing smile

I'm picking up my 375 Wby today. I'm kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum. It's aleady a 9-lb rifle, and I'm installing on it an-11-oz mercury tube, a Harris bipod (on a yet to be installed swivel stud at the end of the forend), and a one-metric-ton Bushnell Elite 6500 scope. I think I will be looking at about 12 lbs when it's done. My 340 Wby Accumark is about 11 lbs, and its recoil feel milder than my Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. This kind of thing gives me motivation to keep my own weight down (to offset my fattened rifles) and to work out hard so I can carry them around. At age 42, I still prefer carrying around a heavy rifle to having it kick my brains out.

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Cool, I don't have any big game rifles that weigh in that much. I can't help but think the weight would help with staying steady when shooting from field positions as well as help the recoil factor. Like you, I'm in my mid 40's and work out alot. I find that the lightest rifle I own-WBY lgtwt- is the toughest to shoot well from field positions (and the bench for that matter). The light whippy barrel makes it pretty muzzle light. I prefer a little bit of muzzle heaviness to help steady myself. just seems to "hang" better for me. If I get another "big bore" I am going to probably go for a rifle that has some weight to it. I actually think that this 375 rum xcr is the 2nd lightest big game rifle I own. I'd have to weigh them all to be sure but it sure feels light.

IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have three Ultras, 300, 338 and 375. Love them all. I load my .375 with the Barnes 300grain, and have found it extremely accurate and deadly. I shot Cape Buffalo, Giraffe, Elk and a water buck with it. Each one took 0 to only a few steps. Seems to shut em right down. I load it with 93gr. of imr 4350 and it goes about 2780 fps.

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.