-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both a 12 and 20 in the upland special config. Like them both.

Don't have the cash for a Benelli UIltralight.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I too have 12 and 20 gauge BPSs. No complaints. I have a hankering to get a 16 with the 'Upland' stock.

Que scais-je?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got a 12, upland. Love the thing, recently put a cantilever slug barrel on it, and it is an awesome slug gun too. Wouldn't mind having a 16 Upland. Used to murder Grouse with a 16ga. 97 Winchester. [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice !!!

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
When it comes to Browning shotguns (or their clones), I've been real lucky. I've never had to buy one. My BIL gave me a 20 ga BPS with the shiny stock and metal deep bluing. My BIL used it some. It does have 2 small rust spots on the receiver but, hey, it was free. It functions great. Then, years ago I had a Cajun friend, who had a Remington Model 11 (A5 clone) 12 ga that he claimed would not eject and had wood chips all through the action. I told him that the friction rings were probably not installed properly for the light field loads he was using and that the wood chips were almost certainly from the original wood plug in the magazine (this SG was made in 1924, according to the SN). Well, he angrily stated that if it did not shoot, he did not want it. When he asked me if I wanted it, I couldn't say "yes" fast enough. I rearranged the friction rings and gave it a good thorough cleaning. In over 8 years, it has not missed a beat. This SG had green camo painted over the barrel, receiver and stock and it also has green tape wrapped around a crack in the stock. But, hey, it was free. I think you'd have to try real hard to destroy a Model 11/A5.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have one in 12g. Just bought it new last year, so far, a very nice shotgun. I find it carries and shoulders quickly but I will be shortening the LOP. I find the 14 inch LOP to be a bit much as I am 5'6".

No functioning issues which based on my recent luck with other new gun purchases lately is impressive. Fit and finish are real nice too.

My Canadian 2 cents.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a BPS in 12, liked it and bought one to match in 20ga. I have had them for about 20 years I guess. Both are the short barrels, 21" IIRC with pistol grips. I bought the 12 to shoot wood ducks in heavy timber/cover, where you have to have a short barrel quick handling shotgun, it worked great. My 28" 870 was too slow to get on target, and the birds were gone before I could find them. I used the 20 on dove. The 12 also makes a good turkey gun with it's short barrel. With the short barrels 21" they are quick handling. Both have functioned flawlessly, and though I have other shotguns I have been reluctant to give them up. If I were looking for one I would consider a 24" depending on the intended use, if they are available in that barrel length.

Last edited by AJD; 03/08/10. Reason: # Years, I can't seem to add and subtract these days.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by troutfly
I have one in 12g. Just bought it new last year, so far, a very nice shotgun. I find it carries and shoulders quickly but I will be shortening the LOP. I find the 14 inch LOP to be a bit much as I am 5'6".

No functioning issues which based on my recent luck with other new gun purchases lately is impressive. Fit and finish are real nice too.

My Canadian 2 cents.

I'm 5"4", and found the stock a bit long as well. I just removed the recoil pad, and made a walnut butt plate. Worked real good !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting idea but I have had surgery on my shootin shoulder and it likes a pad. I like a LOP of around 12 1/2 inches with the pad but that is a lot of wood to chop off. Will likely settle on 13 even.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one in a trap grade and it swallowed a lot of rounds. It was a tank...indestructible...BUT HEAVY!
shocked

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had mine shortened as well.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an early Japanese BPS,12 gauge,fixed modified choke,28"barrel,with a magazine cut off selector.It has very nice wood,and I've had it many years with no problems at all.A friend gave it to me for some work I did.I've always liked the gun.Did Browning ever market an American made or produced BPS?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son is left handed, so when looking for a shotgun for him, I naturally gravitated toward the BPS. I found a nice, engraved 20, then a 20 slug gun, then a 20 ladies, youth model. All substantially discounted from list. I just won a matching engraved 12 at a DU dinner last week, so he now will have a matching 20/12 pair of engraved BPS's. I swap out barrels and stocks to keep the nice stuff nice and we don't have to worry about him banging the nicer stuff up. As he grows, he is only 12, we will swap stocks again and let the gun grow with him.

They seem to be more solid than the 870's I have, definitely nicer looking and seem to perform well.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have 2 a 12a Deer Special and a 20ga 28". They feel and look better built to me than the popular pumps.I have had several fine 870's and my Mossberg pumps have always worked but I hate the noise the sloppy forend makes on the Mossbergs.For now the BPS is by far my favorite. My Deer Special shoots Hornady SST slugs into groups that would make alot of rifles blush. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Beautiful buck!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you Mule Deer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow!! Nice buck! The SST's are the best stuff for mine too. Incredible how well it shoots them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.