Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

.....................Coyote Hunter! And your next jokes are??????

Well, you got that right � it was a joke.

Would you take a 30-30 on a sheep hunt, where the killing ranges are likely to be beyond 400 yards? What if one can`t get closer without spookin the game and yet still have an opportunity for a 400+ yard shot on a nice trophy??

I�ve often stated that it is not always possible to �get closer� and no, I wouldn�t choose a .30-30 for a sheep hunt where ranges were likely to be 400 yards.

Would you take a 30-30 on an open plains pronghorn hunt?

To be serious, I haven�t, but I haven�t taken an antelope I couldn�t have taken with a .30-30, either. The last was at 300 yards, a stretch, but I shoot the .30-30 at that range frequently and a 170g Partition RN would still do the job � antelope just aren�t that big.

Open ranged elk hunt?

Would, and have. Without success, but that is beside the point � carrying my .300 Win Mag wouldn�t have changed the outcome on those days.

How about them big bears? 30-30 for them too?

I think I�d rather have my Marlin .45-70...

That said, more than one big brown has been turned to rug by a .30-30.

The 30-30 has its good uses for what is was designed to do, which may fit perfectly into your particular,,,,,"shorter ranged",,,,hunting needs.

Scroll up a ways and you will find a picture of my red F250 in an area where I took a 6x5 bull elk at 350 yards. With my 7mm RM. I actually practice out to 600 yards, the longest range at my local club. Clay pigeons at 400, the steel gongs at 500 and clay pigeons and steel at 600 are my favorite targets. I don�t shoot them with the .30-30 or my other leverguns, but I do shoot them with all my bolt guns, from the .257 Roberts to the .300 WM.

Although I cannot speak for the others, I will speak for myself. Now maybe you think a 180 grainer fired from a 308 is "more recoil" than most hunters need. But for me, and I`ll bet for quite a few others as well, that is,,, "chump change",,, recoil.

Agreed. I don�t find my .308 or .30-06's objectionable, nor do I find my .300 WM objectionable. Compared to my top-end .45-70 loads they are pussycats.

And!.........Speaking again for myself anyway, and after 35+ years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 Win Mag, plus 3 years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 WSM including 2 years reloading/shooting/hunting with a 375 Ruger, plus shooting experience with a bunch of other hi-powered magnums, (with great accuracy), I can`t still find my privates without looking down, AND without the need of a magnifyer.

Could it be,,,that you yourself,,,can`t handle the biggys and shoot them straight???? Sounds like you`re a little jealous there uh????????????.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No jealousy here, it was a joke. Guess you missed the winky ( wink ) at the end of my post. I was just, in a very facetious manner, putting forth the arguments others have made for not using magnums � arguments I�ve never agreed with.

By the way, I like my 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag a lot...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/07/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.300 Win Mag - Who woulda figured from me????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still thinking...that I'll be taking a long look at the 84L coming out this year in an 06 and punched to Ai

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

.....................Coyote Hunter! And your next jokes are??????

Well, you got that right � it was a joke.

Would you take a 30-30 on a sheep hunt, where the killing ranges are likely to be beyond 400 yards? What if one can`t get closer without spookin the game and yet still have an opportunity for a 400+ yard shot on a nice trophy??

I�ve often stated that it is not always possible to �get closer� and no, I wouldn�t choose a .30-30 for a sheep hunt where ranges were likely to be 400 yards.

Would you take a 30-30 on an open plains pronghorn hunt?

To be serious, I haven�t, but I haven�t taken an antelope I couldn�t have taken with a .30-30, either. The last was at 300 yards, a stretch, but I shoot the .30-30 at that range frequently and a 170g Partition RN would still do the job � antelope just aren�t that big.

Open ranged elk hunt?

Would, and have. Without success, but that is beside the point � carrying my .300 Win Mag wouldn�t have changed the outcome on those days.

How about them big bears? 30-30 for them too?

I think I�d rather have my Marlin .45-70...

That said, more than one big brown has been turned to rug by a .30-30.

The 30-30 has its good uses for what is was designed to do, which may fit perfectly into your particular,,,,,"shorter ranged",,,,hunting needs.

Scroll up a ways and you will find a picture of my red F250 in an area where I took a 6x5 bull elk at 350 yards. With my 7mm RM. I actually practice out to 600 yards, the longest range at my local club. Clay pigeons at 400, the steel gongs at 500 and clay pigeons and steel at 600 are my favorite targets. I don�t shoot them with the .30-30 or my other leverguns, but I do shoot them with all my bolt guns, from the .257 Roberts to the .300 WM.

Although I cannot speak for the others, I will speak for myself. Now maybe you think a 180 grainer fired from a 308 is "more recoil" than most hunters need. But for me, and I`ll bet for quite a few others as well, that is,,, "chump change",,, recoil.

Agreed. I don�t find my .308 or .30-06's objectionable, nor do I find my .300 WM objectionable. Compared to my top-end .45-70 loads they are pussycats.

And!.........Speaking again for myself anyway, and after 35+ years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 Win Mag, plus 3 years of reloading/shooting/hunting with a 300 WSM including 2 years reloading/shooting/hunting with a 375 Ruger, plus shooting experience with a bunch of other hi-powered magnums, (with great accuracy), I can`t still find my privates without looking down, AND without the need of a magnifyer.

Could it be,,,that you yourself,,,can`t handle the biggys and shoot them straight???? Sounds like you`re a little jealous there uh????????????.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No jealousy here, it was a joke. Guess you missed the winky ( wink ) at the end of my post. I was just, in a very facetious manner, putting forth the arguments others have made for not using magnums � arguments I�ve never agreed with.

By the way, I like my 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag a lot...
......................You`re funny!!!!!! I thought you were jokin but not quite sure, so I threw a few things in anyway!!!!!!!.................LOL!!!! grin

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.....................You`re funny!!!!!! I thought you were jokin but not quite sure, so I threw a few things in anyway!!!!!!!.................LOL!!!! grin

By the way, I am a little jealous � you have a 375 Ruger and the closest I�ve come is to shoot one.

It�s on my wish list. (As is a .338 based on the full-size .375 Ruger case.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.