Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have not been very happy with my day packs. So much so that I rarely wear one. The main problem is that I'm tall and have a long torso. The typical day pack rides above my hips and is not very comfortable. I have an LL Bean pack that fits my torso but is just too big with too many backpacking-camping features, pockets, zippers, flapping straps. Is there a day pack geared toward the hunter for a tall hunter?

Thanks,

Scott

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you search for "technical" day packs from companies that make regular backpacks or mountaineering backpacks they will normally come in S/M/L sizes and will list what size torso first what length.

I have to use one of those type because a one size fits all doesn't fit me either.

But offhand I don't know of any specifically geared toward the hunter so maybe someone else can chime in.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
the Badlands "2200" I think it is

Im 6'4" with more of that in the torso than some folks and it fits me pretty well.

its geared for the hunter and for carrying out meat .

but it may be a bit more heavy duty than what you are looking for , its best described as an "elk hunting" day pack .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just ordered a backpack from these people yesterday. I prefer the single shoulder strap. I purchased the Sitka gearslinger.

http://www.maxpedition.com/

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a 19+ torso and the 2200 was border for me. It fell apart so returned it. The Kifaru Spike is a dream. Try and find a gently used G1 if trying to keep the price down. The Eberlstock X1 has good adjustability and well built.

Good Shooting!
IC B2

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
All:

Thank you for the replies. Time for some internet searching.

Scott

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not a tall guy, 5'11", but I have a long torso, which makes me kind of a tall upper short lower guy. I'd suggest taking a look at the Beretta packs the GU Wholesale is selling on eBay under "GUOMAHA". I bought a couple of them before Christmas and they fit me pretty well, plus the $35 close-out price is also pretty appealing.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am 6'1", and prefer large/long packs. I second the post above about looking for climbing/mountaineering packs. You could also look for a used Dana Design - they came in torso sizes, and in a large variety of volumes/configurations.

I use a North Face Oryx in size Large: TNF Oryx
I don't think they make it anymore. It's a little "strappy" buy you can remove the shovit pocket.

I like the burnt orange color. It stands out but is relatively neutral at the same time. It has a pretty burly suspension for a day pack. One day I'd like to compare it side by side, loaded up, with a Kifaru Express. I have carried a 4x4 elk head in the shovit pocket, as well as a sleepy 4 year old, and it did well (both in addition to regular day gear in the main compartment).

One irritation is that it has a loop for carrying carabiners etc on the hip belt, instead of MOLLE webbing, so it's not easy to attach pockets or holsters to the hip belt.

Last edited by JRaw; 03/04/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many of the Blacks Creek packs are torso length adjustable. But the site does not specify the length range.
http://www.blacks-creek.com/www/New%20Site%20pages/Sub%20Pages/Packs%20Pages/WesternPage.html

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've looked long and hard for the right pack for long hikes elk and mule deer hunting. I've tried daypacks, fannypacks, and fullsized backpacks. Fannypacks were light and comfortable but didn't hold enough. Daypacks were about the right size, but were not long enough to rest the weight on your hips. I even tried a frame with just the daypack on, too bulky. What I wanted was a long skinny daypack with a descent hipbelt.

I was at Wal-Mart last year after hunting season and saw they had their hunting stuff on sale. As I looked around, I found a Fieldline pack that was daypack/fannypack combination for $29. The two packs are zipped together with a nice hipbelt. I tried it on and together it accomplished want I wanted. The length is good so the weight is on your hips and not your shoulders, and the material is pretty good. The only thing is the hip belt is attached by passing through elastic straps. I easily fixed that by sewing it directly to the pack with strong nylon thread. I used it this past fall in Colorado elk hunting and worked as well as expected. I'm sure there are better packs that fit as well but I bet none for that price.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out the Beretta pack that I cited above. I have a couple of Fieldline Glenwood Canyon packs and they are OK, but not in the same league in terms of materials and construction as these $35 Berettas.

Jeff

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm 6'3" and know what you mean. My Badlands Superday has annoyed me long enough to look for another. You are correct in looking for adjustable yoke/backpanel. Most packs are for Avg guys and fit is everything with a pack.

The mtn style packs that may work- Something like Osprey Kestrel series, Mystery ranch Snapdragon
I don't like the cordura packs due to fabric noise- but I bowhunt so it may not be a factor for you

Eberlestock adj yoke; The X1, Dragonfly, Blue Widow

if you just need low volume that Nimrod fanny pack is nice

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like enough options. I just need to track some down and see how they fit. Kinda like buying shoes off the internet. You just don't know until you try them on.

Scott

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SWJ
Looks like enough options. I just need to track some down and see how they fit. Kinda like buying shoes off the internet. You just don't know until you try them on.

Scott

Scott, thats where I'm at also. You really have to try them on.

I tried on a couple of packs at a show but even that was worthless without being able to put beanbags or some kind of weight in them.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've become a fan of spending the cash up front to buy the two or three things that look good, trying them out and sending back what I don't like. Keeps the postal and delivery services busy.

Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,634
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.