-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own my dad's custom deer rifle with a Flaig Ace barrel on a Savage 110L action (.243 Winchester) and custom stock. It was built in the mid-60's and as I recall it was a real tack-driver with his handloads. I only shot it once, around 1972, and since I've inherited it it's been display-only in the gun cabinet since I'm right-handed. I've always wondered about the origin of the barrel since I've had the rifle, and this thread has answered that, thanks to all who posted!!

Last edited by gonehuntin; 03/11/10.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
if memory serves Flaigs used Douglas barrels

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flaigs did use Douglas and they are out of business. Have been for some years now.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by flaig
In what town was Flaig's Barrels located?

There never WAS a "Flaigs's barrels" that ever exsited as company..

If you would read this thread, you would see it was FLAIG'S GUNSHOP..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Millvale, PA.
North of Pittsburgh, PA.
Flaig did some awesome gunsmithing, but did not make any barrels.
Charley would let me scrounge through his stockmaker's scrap barrel for knife handle size pieces, and would chatge me $1 for a whole hand full of pieces. grin

Last edited by DMB; 03/14/10.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DMB

Millvale, PA.
North of Pittsburgh, PA.

It sat up on a little pine covered knob of a hill, in an area that was actually quite built up. It was like it's own little oasis or sanctuary.

Quite a place....

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by DMB

Millvale, PA.
North of Pittsburgh, PA.

It sat up on a little pine covered knob of a hill, in an area that was actually quite built up. It was like it's own little oasis or sanctuary.

Quite a place....

Yep.
Charley owned 11 acres of down town Millvale, and it was the best 11 acres too, with that hill he had his shop and store on. Magnificent location.
One day I wnet there in winter, and the switchback you had to go up to get to the lodge was covered with ice, and there was no way I could make it up. So, I went to a local restaurant and drank coffee till the sun melted the ice, then went up...[Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage2005
Those 12ga mausers are about the most unsafe thing you can shoot. smile

Since this old thread has been resurrected, I'll take the opportunity to ask:

Savage2005-
How do you know this to be true?
Thanks.
--Bob

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The wife's cousin has a 243win in a mauser action with a flaggs barrel on it.If I remember right it cost him 14.00 way back when.
It does shoot like a house afire.

G
G
Flaigs made some of the finest guns in the world bar non. They also handled guns from Austria, and Germany. They had 2 stock makers, a machinest, and several beginning gunsmiths putting actions on barrels,cleaning the floor,ect.
While I was there, I heard a story of John Unertyl coming into the shop. They had just finished mounting a Unertyl scope on a custom rifle, and had to dissemble the scope so the rings could be soldered on. Well the scope fogged, and the owner came back to Unertyl frothing at the mouth about the junk he was selling. He promptly explained what had happened, and went to Flaig. He told Flaig and I Quote. "I don't mess with your f-----g rifles, so don't mess with my f-----g scopes" Then he stormed out.
I heard this while I was apprenticing at Flaigs right before they closed.
I own one Flaig rifle. A 25-06 that was in a fire. The springs were all collapsed and the finish was burned off. But the rifling was nice, and the chamber was clean. So it was off to the test bench, to fire some proof loads in it. After 10 oiled cartridges, no change in heasdspace, no problems what so ever. So a stock was put on it, and a scope was mounted. 5 shots in a half inch. I gave it to my son, after it was refinished, and blued a brilliant blue. It is sitting in the room with me as I type this.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Gunsmith, I'm glad you wrote this. I have been looking at a Flaig 270 built on a Mauser action for some time now. I haven't moved on it because it's priced at the top of its value range and it has a thumbhole stock - which would have to go. It is in beautiful condition and, as you would expect, beautifully built. I may have to see how flexible the owner is on pricing.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunsmith
Flaigs made some of the finest guns in the world bar non. They also handled guns from Austria, and Germany. They had 2 stock makers, a machinest, and several beginning gunsmiths putting actions on barrels,cleaning the floor,ect.
While I was there, I heard a story of John Unertyl coming into the shop. They had just finished mounting a Unertyl scope on a custom rifle, and had to dissemble the scope so the rings could be soldered on. Well the scope fogged, and the owner came back to Unertyl frothing at the mouth about the junk he was selling. He promptly explained what had happened, and went to Flaig. He told Flaig and I Quote. "I don't mess with your f-----g rifles, so don't mess with my f-----g scopes" Then he stormed out.
I heard this while I was apprenticing at Flaigs right before they closed.
I own one Flaig rifle. A 25-06 that was in a fire. The springs were all collapsed and the finish was burned off. But the rifling was nice, and the chamber was clean. So it was off to the test bench, to fire some proof loads in it. After 10 oiled cartridges, no change in heasdspace, no problems what so ever. So a stock was put on it, and a scope was mounted. 5 shots in a half inch. I gave it to my son, after it was refinished, and blued a brilliant blue. It is sitting in the room with me as I type this.

Good post!! Thanks for the info.
Do you know what happened to all of the old drillings Charley had in the small room behind the store that originally belonged to the high ranking Natzi's of WW II era? Bill Knabel was running the store after Charley died, so he might know?
Re, John Unertl: My Brother in law knew John personally,. and said the John had the foulest mouth of any guy he ever knew.
But, 10 years ago, I bought a Unertl 1 1/2", 24x Target scope based on info that Freda Shaw provided. When Unertl moved to Mars, PA, Freda Shaw worked as their office manager, and served as their point of contact for all business transactions. Freda and her husband owned the building that Unertl was located in. When I talked to her about buying an older Unertl, she gave me a lead of a guy in PGH who was selling off his Unertl scope collection. I called him, and worked out a deal for the scope I bought from him. It was made the same year I graduated from High School, 1952.
I've often thought about those old drillings Charley had, and wondered what ever happend to them. Those guns were priceless.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
G
They all went at auction. I was there and saw everything go. I own the gun cabinet that was in the front of the store area. Big plate glass and all. Holds 20 guns at a time. Has to be bolted to the wall, or when you open the doors, it falls over.
I saw his Car, statues,funiture and all go at the auction. His Daughter had no feelings for anything but money. That and the rich Greek she was married to.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Flaig's used Boller (spelling) barrels as well as Douglas barrels. The Douglas were the Ace.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
S
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Flaig's used Boller (spelling) barrels as well as Douglas barrels. The Douglas were the Ace.

Not always an Ace, I have a Flaig custom rifle from 1970, It's a left hand Savage 110 Magnum Action, with a "Douglas Premium" barrel Cal. 338 WIN Mag, manufacture date 7/70, the action is a 1970 aswell, it also has the custom Flaig monte carlo stock with raised cheek piece left handed with 20 lpi hand checkering in looks to be Turkish Walnut. I have also read that there were ladies that worked in his shop and did the detail work on the stocks, I must admit it's some incredible detail work. It also came with Redfield bases.
It is unfired and as new from 40 years ago, it's a safe queen but I pull it out just to admire how beautiful it really is on occasion and give a Mobil 1 and sheeps wool wipe down for posterity. I have no idea of the value of mine either, but I would assume upwards of 1k would be close.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes I have seen Flaig's marked Flaig's Douglas Premium. Not much room for error when their marked like that!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Millvale, Pa. Ross Township!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
...Many on the "fire" still wave the confederate flag and talk about southern leaders with respect. The majority of us don't criticize them for that connection...
Battue

No one should be criticized for displaying or waving the confederate flag.

Why is it, battue, that you think I should be criticized for displaying the confederate flag?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by battue
...Many on the "fire" still wave the confederate flag and talk about southern leaders with respect. The majority of us don't criticize them for that connection...
Battue

No one should be criticized for displaying or waving the confederate flag.

Why is it, battue, that you think I should be criticized for displaying the confederate flag?

If you wouldn't cut just two sentences, out of context, and actually read the whole thing, along with what brought it up, I think you'd see that battue was actually doing the opposite of what you accuse him of...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ColdBore
If you wouldn't cut just two sentences, out of context, and actually read the whole thing, along with what brought it up, I think you'd see that battue was actually doing the opposite of what you accuse him of...

To begin, I did read the whole thread. Next, the two sentences battue posted that I cut out were the ones I have an issue with. I'm not accusing him of directly criticizing those of us who display the confederate flag; he says quite clearly that people who display the confederate flag are not criticized, they're given a pass (as if we needed one). What I have issue with is he is drawing a parallel between the bust of Hitler as a representation of Nazism in the Flaig shop and people who fly, or otherwise display the confederate flag.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 31 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.