Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay guys, I am intrigued by the .204 and am getting close to taking the plunge and buying a rifle. I want a bolt action and will use it for prairie dogs and occasionally, coyotes. I am not opposed to a heavier gun and in fact, don't want a lightweight, sporter-type rifle. Probably want at least a 24" barrel. I don't have a set budget, but like anything, would probably prefer the most bang for the buck, with accuracy being a prime consideration.

So, what are your opinions on the choices out there and what do you recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Would not be the best for coyotes as it is a single shot (although I have taken a few with mine) but I absolutely love my Cooper. It doesn't matter what model--they all shoot. It's the only gun I own that has never been out of the stock. No need to. It has shot excellent since day one. I own five .204's currently but for colony varmints, I always pick up the Cooper!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I sorta like the Savage Varminter, Low Profile (VLP) in the laminate stock. Don't own one, mine's the more plebian 12FVSS restocked in a Duramaxx. For PD shooting, there's not much better than that one, and the price is competitive with Remington, Ruger, etc.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Crusader: All five of my Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger are VERY accurate.
I would recommend as the "best bang for the buck" Rifle I own in 204 Ruger would be my Remington 700 VLS!
Followed closely by my two Ruger 77 V/T's!
In fact right now the chain store called Bob Wards here in Montana is selling the Ruger 77 V/T's for $549.00 - no sales tax!
I am not sure if they have any stores in Missouri but you could work a deal via UPS if they don't.
All my 204's have 26" barrels of the "heavy" type!
My third recommendation would be a 204 Ruger in the Remington Model XR-100 (unfortunately these are now discontinued by Remington)!
These are single shot Rifles and they need to be found on the used market and now and then a new one shows up on the gunsales internet sites!
The important thing is that YOU get a 204 Ruger and get it up and running before the roads dry out up in Prairie Dog land!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a big fan of the CZ varminter, but it might be lighter than you want. I hike quite a bit with mine, looking for rockchucks way up canyons.

It's accurate, comes with a set trigger. I find the detachable magazine very convenient. The 25.6" barrel is a little heavier than a "sporter" barrel, but not a heavy "varmint" type barrel either. The CZ seemed to be a good value for the money.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with VarmintGuy that the Remington 700 VLS would be a good choice. Mine is very accurate and is the right weight. However, my Kimber Varmint is my favorite. You cannot tell by this picture, but the wood is exquisite. Some hunters do not like to carry a nice wood stocked rifle, but it�s too nice to leave in the gun room. And it is accurate!
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/sbuttel/GEAR/Kimber204Ruger1-1-0811024.jpg

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That is a good looking rifle! I think a varmint rifle is the perfect place for something with fancy wood. Varmint rifles rarely see the hard use & bad weather that big game rifles are subjected to.

B
B
I am a big fan of the 204s. Have 2 Savages that put 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards, right out of the box. If you want a heavy rifle, check out the Savage 12 VLP, about 10 1/2 pounds out of the box. Great bench rifle. I would check out the Howa and a varmint Tikka if you can find one in 204. Coopers make fine rifles but are on the expensive side for my budget, especially since the stocks are too narrow for my liking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am quite fond of the Model 7 Predator and Kimber Varmint. I have both and like them alot. Both are available in 204.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of the above posters have alot more experience with the 204 than I do but I've been very happy with my 204 Savage Predator. I'll grant that you sacrifice a good deal in terms of ascetics when campared to a Remington or Kimber. Regardless of your rifle choice, Crusader, I'll bet you love the 204.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B3

P
P
Remington 700 VLS. You dont want to carry this around too much but have shot well in all the calibers Ive had it in without much extra done other than trigger work.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't think there is a wrong answer when the topic is a varmint rig in .204 Ruger. It is a great cartridge that is a blast to shoot.....pun intended. You get 22-250 tragectory without the recoil and you get a low report (which the area farmers prefer).

I own a Remington VLS in 204, have a Remington Predator in .223 REM and a Remington XR-100 in .223. Like them all.

I don't use the XR-100 in the field, it is one of my dedicated target-only rifles. Being a single shot with a hair trigger, I wouldn't recommend it although some love it for varmint duty. It is the best shooter I have ever had in a Remington. Bug holes all day shooting Sierra match.

The Remington 7 Predator is a superb rig and I love carrying this one when roaming the countryside looking for 'yotes. This rifle in 204 would be even better as a longer range coyote getter but I still wished it had a detachable magazine. My other beef with it is finding a scope that looks good on top of its' small frame. I use a Leupy VX2 2-7x33 on mine and it fits it size wise but I still would prefer more power (without the size).

For a still position setup, I can't think of a better rifle than the Remington VLS. Put a bi-pod on the front and shoot away! I would not want to carry it far...I have a huge heavy 50mm scope on top than takes it to the double digits in weight. It is a typical Remington shooter for great accuracy and because the low recoil and rifle weight, you can watch the hits with this one. Nice looking rifle as well.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Browning A-Bolt 204 with a 24"tube & shoots the 40 grain V-maxes very accurately.. Decent gun & not too heavy to carry. I shoot mine off sticks frequently.
[Linked Image]
Does a great job on groundhogs too..lol
[Linked Image]

Hey Varmint !... "Hoggin' Heaven" Is Where You're Goin' When I'm Done!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The rugerhunting.com site has quite a 204 following.

Myself, I lOVE my Sako and wouldn't trade it for anything. Magazine capacity is not much of an issue for pdogs, but mine stuffs 6 + 1. Action and trigger smooth as glass. Set trigger will blow your mind. Lights out 5 covered with a dime at 100yds off a portable bench.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I got a Remington VTR in 204 that I really like. It shoots very well.

Its all about the dogs and pigs!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Tikka T3 Varmint in 204 Ruger - freak'n awsome love mine.

I'd look at a Savage second, and then remy.

If your loaded go sako but the Tikka is more accurate anyway.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not going to go so far as to "recommend" it per se, but I got a Ruger M77VT MKII in .204 Ruger last summer, and have been pleased with it. It shot better (accuracy wise) on my first couple of trips to the range than any other rifle I have had. Shoots both the 32 & 40 gr V-max bullets very well. I handload for everything I own, so I have run zero factory loads through it. The Ruger is fairly heavy at 9.75 pounds, so it's like shooting a louder .22.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can give a 'thumbs up' to the ruger VT also. Haven't seen one that wasn't a shooter..... Personally, I couldn't take to the heavy, clubby, plywood beavertail stock, tho...... Swapped it out with a beater walnut sporter. much-o better-o.....
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Crusader: It appears that your main targets will be p-dogs, therefore you would be most happy with a heavy barreled rig.
I have three 204's. Two heavy barrel rigs, savage 12 VLP & BTVSS, which are my main p-dog rigs and I also have a laminated stainless T3 which is my main yote rig (nice and light) but always comes out into the p-dog fields with me (can never have to many). If I was to pick another one it would probably be the tikka varmint hunter. All three of my rigs will do 1/2" or better at 100 yds. Our ground squirrels are just coming out so have been very busy with re-loading. I still have about 1800 pieces of prepped brass waiting for powder. I'm hoping for another good season like last year (I went through over 2000 rounds).

Savage Vaporizer
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.