Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Listen pilgrim, the .45-70 is the preferred big bore around here. I got three of 'em, two Browning M-1886's and one Siamese Mauser. Deer die just from looking down the bore, that's how deadly they are. Pig and bear drop like they was pole axed - whatever a pole ax is. Why I shot end for end through a derelict'56 Ford at the ranch once, punched the trunk lock, took the clock out of the dashboard and knocked the carburetor into smithereens. Loaded with 53 grains of 3031 and a 500 grain cast bullet it'll shoot clear through a bison, ricochet off a flat rock and open a case of tall necks back in camp. Try that with a .17 caliber pee-wee.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got an older Marlin, pre-side safety 1895, I think, and it's great with jacketed bullets. It's got Micro-Groove rifling and I haven't had much luck with limited experience with lead.

My bud has a Guide Gun, and it's very accurate and taken lots of deer. His had the ported barrel and sent it back for a non-ported barrel that's not nearly as loud.

Marlin makes a strong rifle. I don't load mine very hot, as I enjoy the use of my shoulder, and neitehr does my friend. With a hot load, which I've shot a time or two, it's a bit too much for me in the recoil department.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the looks of that gun. I've had eight 45-70's, including three Marlins. They were all good guns and the caliber is an excellent one, having the ability to be loaded way up or way down. You've heard about the hot loads being nearly up there with a .458, but the caliber is equally capable of 45 Colt velocities that are downright gentle to shoot. I've shot a squirrel and a big old cow with the round and both were DRT. I can't recommend it highly enough. The worst thing I can think of about it is the fact that Wal Mart doesn't carry it around here. Lots of places do though and WM doesn't carry 45 Colt either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by luv2safari
+1 with Ray...Why???

It sure is limiting and not suited to a lot of hunting, but it does make a hunter out of you...so...why not? wink

Your experience has been negative with the 45-70?

It isn't very suited for my area with the longer shots we have to take often, but I have never had any negative experiences with the 45-70. It just isn't an open country round, compared to the later smokeless-based rounds or even the 30-40 Krag... wink

I love to play with my Trapdoor Cadet Mdl, however.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It appears to be in vogue for African hunters to malign the 45-70. Maybe they just can't deal with the fact that they spent so much hard-earned money on ridiculously expensive rifles when a five-hundred-dollar Marlin levergun has been proven effective against all the species on this planet. That would make me a little sick too.

Duck911, get the 45-70. They are just a bunch of fun to shoot and load for, and they kill game extremely well.

By the way, the range limitation resides with the hunter, not the caliber. A 45-70 will kill game at any range the shooter can hit the vitals. The same is true for the 30-378 magnum or 50 BMG. Words to the effect that the 45-70 is a short-range cartridge is pure horse pucky.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
+1 with Ray...Why???

It sure is limiting and not suited to a lot of hunting, but it does make a hunter out of you...so...why not? wink

Your experience has been negative with the 45-70?

It isn't very suited for my area with the longer shots we have to take often, but I have never had any negative experiences with the 45-70. It just isn't an open country round, compared to the later smokeless-based rounds or even the 30-40 Krag... wink

I love to play with my Trapdoor Cadet Mdl, however.

A proper search will turn up results that show the 45-70 was used to take game in the old days out to 600 yards and beyound. The round is not the limiting factor, the skill level of the shooter is.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
It appears to be in vogue for African hunters to malign the 45-70. Maybe they just can't deal with the fact that they spent so much hard-earned money on ridiculously expensive rifles when a four-hundred-dollar Marlin levergun has been proven effective against all the species on this planet. That would make me a little sick too.

Duck911, get the 45-70. They are just a bunch of fun to shoot and load for, and they kill game extremely well.

By the way, the range limitation resides with the hunter, not the caliber. A 45-70 will kill game at any range the shooter can hit the vitals. The same is true for the 30-378 magnum or 50 BMG. Words to the effect that the 45-70 is a short-range cartridge is pure horse pucky.

I have a friend that has taken 4 Elephants with Contenders. The first one was with a 45-70 that he borrowed from JD Jones and it worked to perfection for Ray

Last edited by jwp475; 03/15/10.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a man is gonna own three centerfire rifles , the third one should be an 1895 in 45 70 with a reciever sight [ for young guys ] or a low power variable scope for us older ones . And you really ought to reload for it .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer The 45-70 in a #1.The Marlin does not balance as well in my hands.With 62 grs. of N133 I am getting 2,350 with a 350 gr. Boolit.Some serious stuff right there.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds like you have plenty of rifles in plenty of calibers if everything is all rounded out. Problem I see is you'll likely get addicted to the lever-action type rifle and there go all the others. I don't have any bolt guns anymore, since getting hooked on levers. I have a shotgun, a semi-auto .22 that my dad just gave me, and the rest are levers. So, what'll likely happen in a few years is you'll have a safe/gun cabinet full of lever actions in various calibers and be having almost the same conversation, except it'll go something like, "Should I get a Marlin 39A? I've got a lever-action in every caliber and Marlin is coming out with a stainless 39A. What say ye?"

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Got to love the Marlin 1895's and the 45-70. Relatively inexpensive and big boom. if you shoot anything with it anywhere near properly, it will die. Roundball plinker loads at pennies a round? Check. Thermo nuclear, snot flinger loads with the requisite softball sized fireball at the end of the barrel? For sure. One gun that will surely do it all ifn' you can too.

I have had 2 and will have another soon. Unfortunately for me, the only 45-70 I have now is a NEF handi rifle and it is a great gun at a dirt cheap price (< $175). The only potential problem I see isn't with the round itself but catching marlinitus and then owning just one isn't going to cut it.

Buy it, you will like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a time when I owned three CF rifles; a Rem 788 223, a Winchester 670 in 30-06, and a Marlin 45-70. I lost that Marlin and picked up a few more rifles. I have another Marlin, a Guide Gun, again which I rarely hunt with; it's more generally a bear gun for boat and camp. I do enjoy hunting with a 45-70 though; this single shot:

[Linked Image]
The distance was only 40 yards; the temperature was the only limiting factor: -25� F. Didn't affect either rifle or cartridge.

Same rifle again at half the distance (and 50� warmer):

[Linked Image]

And then there was this critter at 246 yards, ranged after the drop-dead shot; same rifle:

[Linked Image]

And, if the 45-70 was my only rifle, I'd probably be half decent with it. As with anything, it all depends more on the guy holding the tool than the tool itself. Killing stuff with cartridge rifles is actually pretty darned simple. If you already own two CF rifles, you probably owe yourself one that is plain pure fun, and a Marlin lever gun can be. Yeah there is some recoil. grin But they can be made to work.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure a 45-70 will kill at suprising ranges. If you are going to be taking shots past 200-250 yds. there are better choices IMHO.

One of the best Factory offerings in this caliber has a drop of -28" @ 300yds. and that is sighting the rifle in 3" high at 100 yds.

Anything further than that, you'll have an arc like a mortar round, making hits to the vitals alot more difficult to pull off.

It's a great rifle and caliber, but it ain't no long range rig.

That's just a fact.

JM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acesandeights
Marlin is coming out with a stainless 39A. What say ye?"

GET OUTA' TOWN! I gots to have one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don�t have a 45/70 but I have its cousin the 450 Marlin�

I believe they are both fantastic rounds�

If you keep in mind they are what they are� if you need something more powerful than either can provide� move up to one of the DG 458� (Win, Lott�)don't try to push either one harder.

That seems to be the main bone of contention.

IMO

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A Buffalo Bore 300 grain at 2350 fps is more like a 17"+ drop at 300 yards as well as the 300 Nosler at 2367 fps...

Well withing aiming at hair instead of the horizon for an Elk.

[Linked Image]

But I do agree..There are better choices for 300+ shots although it can be done.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
A Buffalo Bore 300 grain at 2350 fps is more like a 17"+ drop at 300 yards as well as the 300 Nosler at 2367 fps...

Well withing aiming at hair instead of the horizon for an Elk.

[Linked Image]

But I do agree..There are better choices for 300+ shots although it can be done.

Jayco

I agree which is why I say � They are what they are

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be using hot compressed loads I would imagine.

The fastest 300 gr. load Nosler Manual shows is 2282fps @ 105%.

At 300 yds and further with book max. loads, you do not have the 22" from vitals to backline, as the trajectory of the bullet is arcing giving you a steeper angle of entry, which reduces this area.

Best,

JM

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
John

The Nosler load is from Real Guns data pressure checked to 38-40,000 PSI while the other load is Buffalo Bores 300 grain Speer Unicore they offer in there factory loads.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570.htm

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=35

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While I'm a big fan of Marlin's lever actions, and have seriously considered the .45-70 in one on several occassions, the very heavy recoil of any load with anything like 2000 fps. convinced me to look elsewhere for a hunting rifle.
Now, if ringing steel is what you want, Marlin makes several which are excellent and fun for that. Any of their Cowboy Action Rifles would be my first pick. There is, or was, even a long, heavy .45-70 in that line. Other offerings include the .38 Special, the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt.
You can also step down a tad to the .444 Marlin. Another round in that same class with a little less recoil at 2000 fps. plus.
As a hunting rifle, I've learned over the years that the critters don't follow my preconcieved game plan by standing around at the ranges and under conditions that allow me to shoot my best.
That's why my iron sighted, heavy cover rifle is a Rem 760 in 30'06. Much easier to reach with than the .45-70. E

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.