-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's cause that 200-AB has enough junk in the trunk to keep on keepin' on... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mule Deer,
That coincides with my meager test of them...I don't believe they have the penetratition of the Partition, but they had enough. I suspect that is because they appear to retain more weight and expand to a larger cross section, and I like that because I have the option to pick one or the other based on hunting conditions and the game I intend to hunt, so Nosler has given me a good choice..

I have found the same with Swifts A frame and the Siracco, I now have the choice, but I have never been an A-frame fan except on Buffalo and Eland and they do work very well on the big species..

Some years back I talked to Swift and told them IMO the A frames melted into a smooth ball with perfect expansion but that I had seen deer size game make a lot of tracks when shot with with my 338, and not leave the blood trail that I had come to expect with Noslers and Woodleighs...They agreed and said that had been reported to them and that they were coming out with the Siracco for that reason..Id really like the Siracco bullet in my .338 and I bought about 1000 of them in 217 gr., that they were selling on special at SCI during that conversation. Unfortunatly I don't think they ever produced that wonderful bullet, but I still have some of them.

I always liked the long ragged wings of the Woodliegh with the lead still adhereing to them, they rip and tear and let out a lot of blood..A great bullet. The GS Custom bullets grind out a huge baseball size hamburger hole in game and the really put stuff down and not a lot of bloodshot meat, another great bullet.

Todays bullets are so far beyond what I had to begin with. I recall about every 4th bullet worked back in the 40s and 50s, The Sierra was the very best game bullet, in fact it was the only bullet available to a handloader except for Rem and Win. as I recall and later Hornady..I mostly used Corelokts back then and still today in my .308...I was always impressed with the WW Open Point Expanding but it always blew up inside, but killed fast..The Bronze points were a disaster, sometimes they worked great and other times the failed for a number of reasons.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
use nothing else Bob....

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Getting to this thread late...but I've killed 4 Aoudads, 8 whitetails and one Axis deer with AB's out of 7-08, 308 and 30-06 in 140-165 grain weights.

All one-shot kills with great penetration and dramatic internal damage. In fact, a 165-grain AB out of my 30-06 entered through the front shoulder of a bedded buck, traveled through the length of the deer and exited the rear lower leg - complete front to back penetration.

Oh yeah, these critters were all killed using Nosler AB "seconds" and we all know these things won't shoot (grin). I still shoot Partitions but the AB's are a terrific bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread has been fantastic information! I just got my first box of AccuBonds as they were described as a cross between the Partition and Ballistic Tip, which sounded ideal. Can't wait to use 'em!

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by atkinson
Mule Deer,
That coincides with my meager test of them...I don't believe they have the penetratition of the Partition, but they had enough. I suspect that is because they appear to retain more weight and expand to a larger cross section, and I like that because I have the option to pick one or the other based on hunting conditions and the game I intend to hunt, so Nosler has given me a good choice..

I have found the same with Swifts A frame and the Siracco, I now have the choice, but I have never been an A-frame fan except on Buffalo and Eland and they do work very well on the big species..

Some years back I talked to Swift and told them IMO the A frames melted into a smooth ball with perfect expansion but that I had seen deer size game make a lot of tracks when shot with with my 338, and not leave the blood trail that I had come to expect with Noslers and Woodleighs...They agreed and said that had been reported to them and that they were coming out with the Siracco for that reason..Id really like the Siracco bullet in my .338 and I bought about 1000 of them in 217 gr., that they were selling on special at SCI during that conversation. Unfortunatly I don't think they ever produced that wonderful bullet, but I still have some of them.

I always liked the long ragged wings of the Woodliegh with the lead still adhereing to them, they rip and tear and let out a lot of blood..A great bullet. The GS Custom bullets grind out a huge baseball size hamburger hole in game and the really put stuff down and not a lot of bloodshot meat, another great bullet.

Todays bullets are so far beyond what I had to begin with. I recall about every 4th bullet worked back in the 40s and 50s, The Sierra was the very best game bullet, in fact it was the only bullet available to a handloader except for Rem and Win. as I recall and later Hornady..I mostly used Corelokts back then and still today in my .308...I was always impressed with the WW Open Point Expanding but it always blew up inside, but killed fast..The Bronze points were a disaster, sometimes they worked great and other times the failed for a number of reasons.

My experience with the Sciroccos is that they are quite tough too. I know a lot of guys that don't like them because stuff runs too far when shot- they like the more explosive nature of the Partition.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This past year I recovered a 200 grain Accubond from a 300 WM 3000FPS and a 150 grain TSX from a 7mm-08 2650FPS. Both shot into an elk at 20 feet. Me and the wife made a double. I need to get some pics up

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I tend to like tougher bullets as I get less bloodshot meat and I am very particular about that..I don't really care if an animal runs 100 yards as long as I get a good heavy blood trail. You can't have it both ways and a bang flop gets you a lot of bloodshot meat, end of story.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

My experience with the Sciroccos is that they are quite tough too. I know a lot of guys that don't like them because stuff runs too far when shot- they like the more explosive nature of the Partition.

No BG with them but I noticed the same thing on coyotes......nickel sized exits where Partitions would almost cut the yellow dogs in two....Swift made the new ones pretty tough it seems.......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is my Accubond vs SII picture. Both 130g bullets shot into milk jugs with water at about 10 yards shot from my 6.5x284 at around 3100fps IIRC.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I know I have posted these pictures a lot.

Last edited by kyreloader; 03/19/10.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anything surviving at 3000+ is going to work just fine at my 338-06 or 338 Fed velocities. Cool pics. I'd like to try something like that with a bunch of bullets. Would like to generally replicate hitting an animal (hide-bone-guts-bone-hide).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A new year of reloading for my deer hunting rifles is starting now that our spring turkey season is winding down.

I appreciate all the input and this year will be using AccuBonds with even more confidence after all the great feedback I got here.

Thanks to everyone.

This year I expect to load my 7mmSAUM Model Seven with 140gr AccuBonds for whitetails across clearcuts. I added another hunting lease this year so I have more clearcut shooting which is my favorite.

It seems that taking deer at 300yd plus ranges just winds my clock more than up close shooting ever did. I also fidget in my stands too much to be very successful with the old wary bucks so longer ranges make the whole process more enjoyable for me because I don't have to be constantly reminding myself to stop moving around. I also love the challenge of the longer shots.

I selected the handle LDHunter quite a few years ago because of my love for Long Distance Hunting and shooting and that passion has led me to the AccuBond which seems to be a good choice from 5 yards out to 500 yards with accuracy that is close to the Ballistic Tip with the reliability and penetration of the Partition.

I've been a Nosler fan for a very long time and except for their first runs of Ballistic Tips I have always had stellar results from their bullets.

I also want to thank John Barsness for being the one that originally encouraged me to try AccuBonds. I'm reluctant to try new bullets because I highly value the "boring reliability" of Partitions and their unfailing performance for me over the years but this departure from Partitions was a good one.

He also was my inspiration for trying the SAUM cartridges and I'm thrilled with them as well but that's fodder for another thread again some day.

Life is Good and Hunting is my PASSION!

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KY: Those pics of the S II look great, and my only use of the S II is as stated with the 150 7mm....I love the end result of your tests but I am wondering "when",or how soon after impact they expand to that form.....in your media they apparently had plenty of time to do that....

I whacked one coyote through the chest at about 80 yards,expecting him to "explode",like I have seen them do with Partitions, but he just ran like a scalded cat,blowing blood from the lung shot; I thought I missed!

I know they are good but they seem really tough now.But what do I know, I have not shot anything with them really....just first impressions. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sound alot like the Bear claws I used to shoot. Great penetration, but I wanted a bullet with good penetration and more expansion on the deer size game I hunt.

I have always used Partitions and started using AB's when they came out. I shoot both in (3) different 7 MM rifles and in (2) .308 calibers. All my experience has been with 140, 150 & 160 weight grain bullets.

All I shoot is Whitetail, Russian boar and yotes. I use those 2 bullets exclusively. No need to mess with what works.

JM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
11 deer on a management hunt last fall with 180ABs out of a 300 saum. Not a single deer thought about moving after they were hit. Range from 25 to 225. All high shoulder shots except 1 head shot. That was my first AB experience. Needless to say i'm a fan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From my big game forum thread on our Axis hunt.

For those that care about such things here's the .257 110 gr Accubond from my Axis doe. I hit her in the chest at about 50 yards and she toppled over backwards. The bullet was back in her ham. Weighed 69.9 grains so call it 64% retention. MV was 2880 fps and it must have been moving pretty close to that when it hit.

I'm satisfied.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot six or seven decent-sized whitetails with the AB's in various calibers - as soon as I can get one to stay in a deer, I'll post a pict. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have made the switch from Sierras GK's to Nosler Accubonds in the last couple years and like them just fine, but I can't say they are any better than what I was using before.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.