Hop To
#3889909 03/12/10
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
A friend and I are thinking of getting into IDPA. Anyone else here shoot it? Any advice for beginners?

Thanks,
Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot in an IDPA match last night, indoor range. Tomorrow there is an outdoor IDPA match in a town 15 miles from Boise. I like to shoot to improve my skills and familiarity with the handgun I carry for self defense.

I suggest you visit a match, watch, and if they have a class or qualification afterward, take advantage and shoot.

Understand that even though they set the various stages based on what might happen in many self defense scenarios, it's really about competing against yourself, rather than trying to beat the "main man" there.

Having a good concealment holster and belt, plus a couple extra magazines or speedloaders, plus hearing and eye protection is about all you really need. Oh, having some ammo doesn't hurt, either. smile

Go and observe, have fun, and if you like it, join in. It is good practice.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Advice:

If you don't reload - start. Unless you're rolling in dough and willing to spend a large chunk of it on ammo.

Don't be a 'gamer'. Gamers tweak their equipment to inch right up to the rules. They ignore the principle of IDPA to improve their scores. Use the firearms you carry. Solid IDPA shooters fart in a gamer's general direction.

IDPA, and most shooting competitions, boils down to a half-dozen different shooting positions/stances. The rest of it is mostly running around. Learn the positions and practice them.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks guys. We are signed up for a class next month. I am going to use one of my carry guns as realistic practice is the main reason I want to do it. At this point I'm not really interested in being competitive.

What do you wear as a cover garment? I don't have a vest and am thinking just a light jacket or shirt depending on weather.

Thanks again.
Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave284
What do you wear as a cover garment? I don't have a vest and am thinking just a light jacket or shirt depending on weather.

Like you said, it depends on the weather. Being from Minnesota that covers a lot of ground, but the overall average would probably be a hooded sweatshirt and a stocking cap. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A friend and I became certified by IDPA to run matches. Like every other thing there is a core group that does all the work. We tried to get others more involved so we could spend a little more time shooting than working and setting up.

If you enjoy it, then certainly have fun, but pitch in to help where you can. Hopefully you won't run in to a range nazi or too many gamers.

Work on the basics and worry about competing later.

It is supposed to be enjoyable!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As for a cover garment - I always suggest that you wear what you're likely to be wearing if/when you carry concealed.

You won't find too many folks doing this because it often isn't competitive. The "competitive edge" factor too often takes over and shooters will wear something far removed from what they wear everyday. Your "real-life" cover clothing may not make to competitive, but it'll make you well prepared.

You'll have to decide which issue is more important.

Last edited by 41magfan; 03/15/10.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks guys. You have reinforced what I was thinking. I normally carry inside the waist band and use a loose untucked shirt to hide things. That is the way I will go.

Dave.

www.wvcdl.org
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's something I ran into in law enforcement. When we'd qualify, everybody would dump the hot, HP ammo out of their .357's and shoot light, target wadcutter ammo to qualify or to practice. That stuff wouldn't shoot anywhere near the same zero as the magnum HP ammo, nor would it handle/recover like their duty stuff.
I refused to do that. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like it, you might also try shooting matches at other nearby clubs. Most are fun, but occasionally you get one that is operated for IPSC practice.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot my first IDPA match a couple of Saturdays ago. I had a great time. Carried my everyday, full size Kimber in my IWB holster. Wore my everyday "cover" shirt and britches. Used it as a chance to do some practical practice. Can't wait to do it again.

PS....roll your own ammo is a must, just from the cost savings.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I shot my first match last summer,I watched a couple matches and stayed after and shot a stage with the so.I showed up at the next match to shoot,turns out it was a classifier.
Felt Like I was moving in slow motion compared to the others but at the end of the day I made marksman.What I learned in the next few matches was I had a lot to learn,Ive put a lot of rounds down range in my back yard range.But shooting paper standing in one place is quite different than solving problems ,shooting both on the move and moving targets.I also leaned I was nowhere as good as I thought I was and could'nt wait for the next match to see what improvements I made.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.