Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you have used the 45-70 successfully, then your doing something right, and I suggest you keep on using what works for you..I understand it will work fine if you know what your doing, and if you are a hunter, not just in name but ability.

I also have a few kills on film with clients using hot loaded 45-70s and they would be good ammo for the anti hunters. There desire for a one shot kill was a disaster to the elk, they wanted to wait until he died as he wobbled around for 20 minutes or more, then I shot him, and they got mad.....thus my distrust of the caliber for the once a year hunter, and those that just want to prove a point. al I do love the old Winchester 1886s, 71s and 94s and I am guilty of hunting with sub calibers such as the 25-35, 30-30 and 250-3000 that I have used on elk..I know they are not an ideal elk calibers, but they have worked for me and none are in the power range of th 45-70..I just get close and place my shot or shots in which case they work. If used properly with common since, they 45-70 is an elk rifle. I just have had some bad experiences and perhaps I am taking it out on the caliber instead of the shooter. I will conceed to that extent.

Last edited by atkinson; 03/20/10.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I could tell the same story about a 7mm Magnum on black bear!

It is the Indian that matters not the arrow.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I could tell the same story about a 7mm Magnum

So could I but that would ruffle more feathers than I want to deal with today. grin

Jayco

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The .45/70 is a useful cartridge for the hunter that can stalk or timber hunt. The ballistics are there, the competence is there and the history is there, both in age and the number of animals taken over that time.

This simply means that when someone says it is not good for whatever reason, they are simply stating lack of first hand knowledge with the cartidge.

The .30/06 is a competent 300 yard cartridge and more, and if you learn it's capabilities, the drop out to even 500 yards is not impossible, more than plausible, and again, the history is there in length of years and the number of animals taken over that time.

A thread is well worth skipping when it is clogged with negative comments from experts who recite over an over a single issue that is obviously relating to bullet placement.

I reread Jack Lotts story about the infamous cape buffalo that tossed him back in 1959 and created so much inspiration for the experts that followed. I will comment no more on this, other than to suggest reading Jack's own words on where the bullet struck. The article is floating around on this web site.

Placement is always the arbitor on cartridge competence which is why the denigrators contradict themselves when they cite in other threads the competence some very small cartridges demonstrated in their hands and due to their skill.

If a .45/70 is such a lousy elk cartridge, why has the 7x57, 270, 25/06, (shall I keep reducing the power?) ,243, .300 Savage, 25/35 enough.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Animals could really give a hoot about headstamp. You do your part and pick a proper bullet, you'll have meat.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Pig and bear drop like they was pole axed - whatever a pole ax is.

pole�ax or pole�axe (plks)
n.
1. An ax having a hammer face opposite the blade, used to slaughter cattle.
2. A medieval battle-ax consisting of a long shaft ending in an ax or a combination of an ax, hammer, and pick.
tr.v. pole�axed, pole�ax�ing, pole�ax�es
To strike or fell with or as if with a poleax: "When a gang of doves circled above the flowing water and swooped in to feed, he poleaxed the leader with a clean head shot" (William Hoffman).

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I like the looks of that gun. I've had eight 45-70's,.....but the caliber is equally capable of 45 Colt velocities. I can't recommend it highly enough....and WM doesn't carry 45 Colt either.

Well at least you have your priorities straight. Gotta love those 45's !!!!

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by atkinson
If you have used the 45-70 successfully, then your doing something right, and I suggest you keep on using what works for you..I understand it will work fine if you know what your doing, and if you are a hunter, not just in name but ability.

Poor bullets mean poor performance, great bullets mean great performance. That fact hold true for all calibers even the great Nitro Express big bores

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Whew, just got done reading all 11 pages of this thread. I was out of town hunting hogs with my son. I bought the Guide Gun in 2003. I have used a .45-70 for every out of state/country hunt I've made since then. If it was legal, I'd use it to hunt deer, here in Indiana. I've hunted with my Marlin Guide Gun, in Tennessee, Texas, Idaho, and RSA. I've harvested hogs, bear, and 7 head of African plains game with the ole girl. My go to load is a 300 gr. nosler partition @ 1950 fps. To the origional poster, yeah get one, you will love it. BTW, here's what I shot with the 45-70 last week, and the meat is great!

[Linked Image]

I've hunted deer and other big game for over 30 yrs. My longest shot ever was a lasered 186 yds, taken with....the 45-70, on a Texas hog. I just love the cartridge.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 03/21/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soulful post, Maddog,

...and to the point.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep, for what I can still hunt, both physicaly and monetarily, the .45-70 can do it all. Hell, I may try it on lopes, in WY., next yr.grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 03/22/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Duck911... I have the same gun you are looking at, it shoots great still working on loads for it with both the 405 grain hardcast and 300 Nosler partions. I plan to keep it open sights for bear hunting in the thick heavy brush. I did find out that marlins have a little problem with the hornady lever evalutions, they are a little long and cause feeding problems. I read on another site marlins has the part to fix this problem for around $10. BTW this rifle makes for a great camp gun... had some problems with the two legged critters while camping, it solved that problem really quick! I give this rifle 2 thumbs up!!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Why not? Fun to shoot, can loaded BP power or more powerful than a 450Marlin, exists in a lot of different firearms,lot of bullets shape and toughness, good for most game in Europe or the USA, even some African games or Australian ones. Part of history of your country, good and bad,easy to handload...
Then why do look for reason to buy one. I you want it buy it. Passion is the word: the heart has reasons that reason ignore (Pascal). Own four of them 2 1886 and one 1895 plus a Shiloh and an original 1885 in 45-90. Need no excuse for that.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maddog
Whew, just got done reading all 11 pages of this thread. I was out of town hunting hogs with my son. I bought the Guide Gun in 2003. I have used a .45-70 for every out of state/country hunt I've made since then. If it was legal, I'd use it to hunt deer, here in Indiana. I've hunted with my Marlin Guide Gun, in Tennessee, Texas, Idaho, and RSA. I've harvested hogs, bear, and 7 head of African plains game with the ole girl. My go to load is a 300 gr. nosler partition @ 1950 fps. To the origional poster, yeah get one, you will love it. BTW, here's what I shot with the 45-70 last week, and the meat is great!

[Linked Image]

I've hunted deer and other big game for over 30 yrs. My longest shot ever was a lasered 186 yds, taken with....the 45-70, on a Texas hog. I just love the cartridge.

maddog

Maddog your post done convinced me. I'm out of a 45-70 right now but it's officially on the list of what to get...soon. Right behind a Garand and one of them new stainless 39A's.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cole, don't matter whether ya git a ruger #1, H&R Handi, or any of the Marlins, they're all fun! Got a 39A....but its blued, bought in 1974, and prolly has killed 500+ squirrels.

maddog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree maddog. I've had a bunch of different 45-70's. They were all fun in their way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"its the indian not the arrow"

I like that quote. I really like the 4570, hits hard, leaves a heck of a blood trail, comes in a rifle platform that fits me very well (the marlin guide gun). I like the ability to load it up or down, very versitle that way.

I like old rounds, the 45acp, the 30-06, 45/70 those are my kinda things. I like the 1911, the marlin 1895, and bolt actions I'm warming up to. I drive a '89 gmc with a TBI 350. I like things that have proven themselves over the years and that are easy to work on should the need arrise. Funny thing is I'm 28 and all my peers are running bolt actions in the new ultra supper short magnums with huble telescope like sights and driving brand new trucks they take to a shop just to get the oil changed. Not my style, but To each their own.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
It's just one of those things. The 45-70 is a piece of Americana. I recently bought a Marlin 1895GBL myself. Working on a pet load that will push a 405gr cast at 1300-ish fps.I'd say go for it. Upon shooting it you will either love it or not. If not, you can probably move it along for about what you have into it.

I am using 25 grains of AA5744 with my home cast 407 gr (wheel weights - water quenched) and getting very close to 1300. Very accurate even out to 100 yards and beyond. Easy on the shoulder too.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.