-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And yotes are full of fight, I usta have a male plott that would and did take on all comers, hard headed was he,,,,any dog that was in his area was nailed,,three or four of them and there was a real brawl....more than one large yote though and he would have been in trouble.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
GB1

A
A
I have two Akitas a 125 pound male and a 95 pound female. They are both excellent hunters and very fit. They will bring back coyotes from time to time. The only time I have witnessed them in a fight with coyotes is when my wife and I were walking them and a pack of six coyotes rushed us from the brush. The male killed one immediately by grabbing it by the head and shaking it to break its neck. (This is how they kill most of the animals they hunt.) The female then rolled one and ripped its throat out. By that point I had fired a shot into the air and the other four took off. The dogs gave chase and came back with one about 10 minutes later. Keep in mind that coyotes only weigh in around 30 pounds so in a one on one situation they would be serously disadvantaged if caught by a large aggressive dog.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
sorta depends. there are yotes and then there are YOTES. we got 'em around here that weigh 45 pounds or more. 4 of those would be a tough fight for ANY dogs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have a friend in Fence Lake NM who had the largest dog I have ever seen, a Ridgeback it was. I saw that dog on several occasions kill yotes. All of the encounters, but one, were singles, the double just took it a wee bit longer.

If the yote was out in the open it was toast, however if the terrain was brushy the yote would always escape. That big dog just could not turn and dart around like a scared yote could.

That dog was not a very friendly thing to anyone but the man it trusted.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, Rhodesian Ridgeback, bred to hunt lions and other critters. They should make short work of any coyote.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're gonna pit one dog against any other canid the dog with the most fight is the American Pit Bull Terrier. This is exactly what he's been bred for decades to do, ie. fight and win. If you're looking for a dog to hunt AND kill coyotes the Fila Brasileiro and Dogo Argentino are both used in South America to hunt "boars" and big cats (puma and jaguar). The Anatolian Shepherd is used in Turkey to protect sheep from wolves. He may be a candidate. My uncle runs quite a few sheep and he has settled on a pair of Great Pyrenees. This has eliminated his coyote problems, which is something previous breeds had been unable to do. On our farm, we had a large (like 120 lb) Bloodhound cross male that was hell on coyotes. He really liked to go after them. But any dog is gonna get torn up some if he finds himself in a scrap with several coyotes. I'm sure this post will piss someone off but I'm an experienced and knowledgeable dog owner.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akitalover
I...

You guys realize this thread was over three years old before akitalover resurrected it?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nope, didn't notice. whoops.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Coyotes at the ranch would bait my dogs away from the house and then the pack would jump on them and whip them up good...Either dog could kill a coyote one on one every time.

My worst problem was Javalinas, my dogs hated them and those pigs would rip them up good, those dogs never seem to learn. I just kept sewing them up. One morning Charcol had his chest ripped open and I could see his heart beating and his lungs..took him to town got him sewed up and 3 days later he and Smokey were at it again...both were also immune to rattle snake bites..both had been bitten nemourous times until finally they just puffed up a bit and were good to go in two or three days without medication. Hated snakes too..killed them all the time.

If you get a dog or horse rattle snake bit stick a rubber tube up there nostrils, mostly they suffacate from rattle snake bites because the nostrils swell shut...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by eddief
my uncle used to have a 217 lb. Tosa. I would've put that dog against a couple yotes.

Eddie

the ? would be coud the tosa have the speed to keep the coytes from runing rings around them

Jonathan Henson
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eddieef might not still be around or even alive anymore. If he is he’s 15 years older than when he made that post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love these resurrection.

Start reading, "hmmm, this seems familiar".

"Oh,hell. Have read this several times"

How in the crap do they find a 15 year old thread that hasn't had a post
in ten?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.