Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Needing to take out a few squirrels and crows but I live in a busy neighborhood, what is the most quiet air rifle out there. Not wanting to spend over $200 but am open to hearing higher priced options if they are definitely silent. This wont be a target gun rather probably only shot a few times a week.

Have seen the gamo whisper in magazines but have never seen one used.

They also have a couple of less expensive models on sportmans guide.com, can anyone comment on these? The ruger looks nice but will a $98 air rifle fall apart in a year. If it's loud as a 22 I don't need it.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3A%2FDefault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=air+rifle

GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I would recommend a Co2 gun, pistol or rifle with a moderator.
Springers will be loud, not due to muzzle blast but from the spring inside the action, it really is loud. Pumpers can also be loud so I'd also stay away from those. All of my Co2 guns have a moderator and are a lot more quite and neighbors don't know when I'm shooting. All can be heard is the hammer hitting the valve and a blast of Co2 from the barrel. I would highly recommend looking at the Crosman forum, use the search and you'll find plenty of info on how to build and customize the gun, or, look at the classifieds, lots of guys sell their guns that are already modified and quite, and most of these guys tune for power so it's not like you're buying a stock gun. these guns put out A LOT of power besides being quite.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/

This is one that I built from after market parts, very quite and has power enough to take a pidgeon at 40 yards.
[Linked Image]
This one is my long range sniper rifle.
[Linked Image] 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 55 yards are normal for this one, but normal shots are taken beyond 70 yards. This one is even more quite than the first gun pictured and will shoot a 14.3 gr pellet at about 12 ft lbs, that's more than enough power to take a rabbit at 40 yards with the right shot placement.
Good luck in your search

S.W.A.G. it
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found that a .22 shooting CB shorts is very, very, quiet - actually quieter than most air guns. I've used them to dispatch marauding squirrels in my backyard garden for years. They shoot a 29 gr. bullet about 700 fps, and the sound is a mere "pfft." The bullet is heavier than a pellet and IMHO is more lethal. Consider it, since if you already have a .22 you can save yourself the bucks you'd spend on the air gun.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by John_G
I've found that a .22 shooting CB shorts is very, very, quiet - actually quieter than most air guns. I've used them to dispatch marauding squirrels in my backyard garden for years. They shoot a 29 gr. bullet about 700 fps, and the sound is a mere "pfft." The bullet is heavier than a pellet and IMHO is more lethal. Consider it, since if you already have a .22 you can save yourself the bucks you'd spend on the air gun.

That's a good idea, shoot a powder burner in a neighborhood, no one will call the cops. At least with a airgun, the cops will tell you not to shoot it. Will they say the same thing with a real rifle? Just saying, is that a good recomendation? Shooting a real gun where people are around?

S.W.A.G. it
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
yeah I've got a few 22's and don't want to go that route..I've also got a CCL and don't want to do anything to put that in jeopardy.

How many shots can you get on a CO2 cartridge, how expensive are they to replace, and how many ft/sec do they shoot?
Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may shoot one of the Aquila Sans Poudre .22's to dispatch a squirrel rather than buy an air gun.

They just make a pop.

Link

Note: I have the Sans Poudre. I could not find its link in a hurry. The one I posted above is for the "super".

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote/]That's a good idea, shoot a powder burner in a neighborhood, no one will call the cops. At least with a airgun, the cops will tell you not to shoot it. Will they say the same thing with a real rifle? Just saying, is that a good recomendation? Shooting a real gun where people are around?[/quote]

No one's complained yet. Like I said, it's quieter than most air guns and the bullet isn't travelling any faster.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by John_G
[quote/]That's a good idea, shoot a powder burner in a neighborhood, no one will call the cops. At least with a airgun, the cops will tell you not to shoot it. Will they say the same thing with a real rifle? Just saying, is that a good recomendation? Shooting a real gun where people are around?

No one's complained yet. Like I said, it's quieter than most air guns and the bullet isn't travelling any faster. [/quote]

Yeah, no one's complained, YET. You think it's a good idea to tell someone to shoot a powder burner in a neighborhood, regardless if it shoots the same speed as a pellet? Just because YOU shoot one in your neck of the woods doesn't mean the rest of us would. We're reponsible, not reckless. Then again, I don't know what the laws are in Canada regarding firing live rounds in a neighborhood, but I know that you wouldn't catch me doing something that stupid. IT'S LIVE ROUNDS!!!

I've also shot those rounds before through my .22 Marlin. Both of my Co2 gun's and the rest that I didn't post pictures of are A LOT more quite than those rounds, and safer too. There are several ways to quite down a Co2 gun, it's also a lot safer to do this than to shoot live .22 ammo, regardless of power levels.

Live .22 rounds in a neighborhood?
I'm glad I don't live near you.

S.W.A.G. it
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad I don't live near you.

BB gun kills 11 year old.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=12140277

Last edited by LNF150; 03/15/10.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
How many shots can you get on a CO2 cartridge, how expensive are they to replace, and how many ft/sec do they shoot?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistics don't lie - you can get air guns that would outperform a CB short. You would be legal but just as lethal.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by prowannabe

Depending on the modifications done, some guns can get 20-25 shots per cartridge and depending on caliber will get up to 700-800 FPS. Don't let the FPS numbers get you, what good is speed and power if you can't hit the target? My guns shoot anywhere between 650-800 FPS, you only need between 300-500 FPS at 30 yards to kill birds with good shot placement. Co2 carts can be bought just about anywhere, Walmart, sporting goods stores, etc.. It's just a 12 gr. cart that's used for all kinds of things.

Reasearch the Crosman forum, lots of good info.

S.W.A.G. it
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You may want to consider at what temperature you are going to be shooting. I think Co2 guns fps may be adversly affected by cold temps. An R7 would work quite well for your application, I think.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What about the new crossman marauder? I've read that it's pretty quiet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can also get a barrel shroud for your rifle. Try this site.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/My_Homepage_Files/Page16.html

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Clint
You can also get a barrel shroud for your rifle. Try this site.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/My_Homepage_Files/Page16.html

Is that an after market part or can you order the complete gun like that? Does this make the gun completely silent?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several rifles come with them from the factory. The new Marauder comes with a shrouded barrel. Rich in Michigan can make one for most air rifles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by xposo

This is one that I built from after market parts, very quite and has power enough to take a pidgeon at 40 yards.
[Linked Image]

That's a sweet looking build...how much did it cost to put together? Any idea on the velocity you're getting?

B
B
I use my spring piston, you have air gun defense. It aint that loud. Lets face it, your biggest danger is being seen, not heard.

B
B
I use my spring piston, you have air gun defense. It aint that loud. Lets face it, your biggest danger is being seen, not heard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.