Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was at a gun show today, and found a beautiful little B C Miroku O/U that I almost took home.

The problem is that is is choked Full and Full. Probably a great duck gun back in the days of lead shot, but not so practical now.

Does anybody have any suggestions on who to send it off to to get it reamed a bit? I'm figuring to maybe to I/C and Mod or so? Or maybe I should just go ahead and spring for getting it threaded for tubes?

Ballpark figures on cost?

I know Briley can do it, but ouch.... eek

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.ahlmans.com/shotgunalterations.html is a little lower than Briley's. I put a Browning A5 on layaway today and I was comparing prices.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
An older Miroku probably has barrels to thin to tube with anything but Briley Thin Walls, if it can even take them. I use a Sunnen Honing Machine to enlarge choke diameters in fixed choke barrels. It's pretty quick and easy to control size and finish. Most all quality automotive machine shops have one and if you know your desired choke diameter I'm sure could oblige you.

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here again the caution flag must come out. If the person opening the choke isn't absolutely careful in aligning the cut to the bore, the column can stray enough to crate serious holes in the pattern resulting in misses. Because there is no practical way to adjust a shotguns point of aim using sights, shotguns rely heavily on precise bore/choke alignment for accuracy. So be careful!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've opened up some chokes on shotguns with hones sold by Brownell's, IIRC.
As Malm mentions, you just need to be careful when doing it, so the shot from both tubes go to the same POI.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike Orlen in MA will do it for $35 TO $40 a barrell. Look him up on Shotgunworld.com.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
79 Salem Street � Amherst, MA 01002 � (413) 256-1630 � fax (413) 253-5665
michael.orlenverizon.net
Shotgun Barrel Services Offered:
Dealer List
Choke Tube Installation (per barrel) $35.00 $55.00
Cut Single Barrel (to rib post) Reset Bead N.C. $15.00
Cut & Fill Double Barrel (reset bead) $35.00 $45.00
Furnish & Install Center Bead $10.00 $12.00
Install Sun Spot, Raybar or Bradley Bead $10.00 $15.00
Lengthen & Polish Forcing Cone & Chamber
(10, 12, 16, 20, 28ga. & .410) $35.00 $55.00
4 inch �Super Cone� (12 ga) NEW!! $45.00 $65.00
Adjust To More Open Choke $35.00 $45.00
Jug Choke Barrel (12, 16 or 20ga) $60.00 $85.00
Port Barrel $45.00 $65.00
Install Permanent (soldered) Choke Sleeve $75.00 $95.00
Drill & Tap Shotgun Receiver (includes Scope Base) $45.00 $65.00
Stock Bending $95.00 $135.00
Rust Bluing of Double Barrel Sets - (from) $225.00 $275.00
Back Bore and Polish (12 gauge & 16 gauge only) $125.00 $165.00
Regular (flush fitting) Choke Tube $17.00 $22.95
Sporting Clays Extended Tube (12 & 20ga.) $19.00 $24.95
Ported Choke Tubes (12 & 20ga.) NEW!! $39.00 $45.50
Steel, Card, Turkey, or 10ga Thin Wall $21.00 $27.50
Rifled Choke (Rem, Inv, & True) 12 or 20 ga. $39.00 $49.50
Return Shipping & Insurance (UPS Ground) $12.00

The above info is from Mike Orlen's site. Looks like good prices.

Last edited by like2shoot; 03/28/10.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One thing you better find out first: are those barrels chrome-lined?

If so, your choices will be limited..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good point Redneck! I own a Miroku SXS that was literally made for him while my uncle stood waiting for it at the factory. He was stationed in Japan at the time. Anyway that one doesn't have chrome barrels but that doesn't make it so for all.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So what would be the options with a chrome-lined bore? I have a Beretta Silver Snipe that has a imp cyl upper and a full lower with no selective trigger. I would like to open the lower to Imp cyl. I think the barrels are a little thin for tubes and without a selector I would rather have them choked the same.

Harry
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i remember reading about loads developed to open up more than usual. No clue on the what or who.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks to everybody for the info so far.

For now though, I'm hesitating on buying the gun. Just not sure if it's what I want to do.

I did find two local guys though that are both tooled up and able to open them up, if I change my mind on it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had two of my shotguns opened up and thin walled choked and the only smiths i trusted to do this work was Briley. They aren't as expensive as most would think, but if they do charge a few extra dollars it is worth it, because you can bet the work will be done right.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"So what would be the options with a chrome-lined bore?"

There used to be a gunsmith that wrote for one of the magazines, I think his name was Baker.

He said that you had to have the plating removed. I don't know how this is done, or how expensive the set up would be for removing chrome.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I would go ahead and buy the gun. Miroku's are a great value for the money. Pattern it and shoot it a bit. You may well find the chokes to be not as tight as indicated. You can always have them opened up later if you want or you may decide to just use it as is.

Spreader wads can be had from several sources. I use the "X" wad inserts from Ballistic Products. They reliably open the pattern up by about one full degree of choke. That provides me with greater flexibility with fixed choke guns. Since I found myself not changing chokes very often in guns with choke tubes I've come to re-think the necessity of them and in fact almost prefer guns without them.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Mike Orlean open up an older SKB 28 gauge for me. Fantastic work, and if you are a member of shotgunworld.com it's $35 a barrel, plus $10-15 return shipping. Have never heard of anyone who has had anything but excellent results from him.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I would go ahead and buy the gun. Miroku's are a great value for the money. Pattern it and shoot it a bit. You may well find the chokes to be not as tight as indicated. You can always have them opened up later if you want or you may decide to just use it as is.

Spreader wads can be had from several sources. I use the "X" wad inserts from Ballistic Products. They reliably open the pattern up by about one full degree of choke. That provides me with greater flexibility with fixed choke guns. Since I found myself not changing chokes very often in guns with choke tubes I've come to re-think the necessity of them and in fact almost prefer guns without them.

Interesting that you mention the "X" wad insert to spread the pattern. I used "Post" wads years ago to shoot the 16 yard line with a full choke trap gun.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Since I found myself not changing chokes very often in guns with choke tubes I've come to re-think the necessity of them and in fact almost prefer guns without them.

Many competition trap shooters use high-end guns w/o tubes.. It eliminates potential problems..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Since I found myself not changing chokes very often in guns with choke tubes I've come to re-think the necessity of them and in fact almost prefer guns without them.

Many competition trap shooters use high-end guns w/o tubes.. It eliminates potential problems..

Agreed.

But if I buy it, I'd plan on using it for a "general purpose" gun, mainly hunting and maybe some informal clays (no trap though).

I'm just concerned that Full/Full is going to be a bit tighter than I need, or want.

I'd open it up to about a nice middle-of-the-road I/C and Mod, and could be perfectly happy with that.

Still tossing it around....

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Redneck

Agreed.

But if I buy it, I'd plan on using it for a "general purpose" gun, mainly hunting and maybe some informal clays (no trap though).

I'm just concerned that Full/Full is going to be a bit tighter than I need, or want.

I'd open it up to about a nice middle-of-the-road I/C and Mod, and could be perfectly happy with that.

Still tossing it around....

That's the choking I go with for field shotguns. And, I shoot skeet with them too, informally. If Post wads are available for the chambering, I'd use them for the tight choke barrel at the skeet range. With the I/C barrel, it is so close to skeet bore, no need to spread the pattern. Lots of ways to skin the cat..

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.