Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The A7 has a metal bolt shroud whereas the T3 has a plastic one. The A7 has metal feed lips on the magazine whereas the T3 has plastic.
I think this is wrong, the A7 also has a plastic bolt shroud................VaHillbilly.

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Believe Me I've had a few Sako rifles over the years that would not live up to the 5 shot MOA guarantee, so don't put a lot of stock in this claim,hell I think even Thompson Center is making a similar claim with their fugly Icon rifle and they even supply a target from the factory to prove it, (something else Sako doesn't do) the A7 guarantee is not 5 shots it is a 3 shot MOA guarantee......................VaHillbilly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I view the T3 action more for bench work given you can't get your fingers in it as easy. The tighter ejection port makes it more accurate - which I think the T3 wins.

The Sako 85 is 1300+ and is built tough, so is the 75 - metal magazines, and all metal. I see if more of a well built big game rifle.

The A7 is the in the middle compromise. without the dumb sako ring mounts but the big game action, and a good amount of the T3 recoil lug features. So if you want a cost effective production rifle the A7 is a good one.

NOW the accuracy thing - Sako's are throated differently than any other rifle I've had. And they definitely like a specific bullet weight. Try to make them shoot something they don't like and you'll have the VaHillbilly experience mentions above. And in fact that's the first thing the Sako Rep will tell you if you ask him what weights your rifle might like.

Spot

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If Sako knows what bullet weights their rifles like, why don't they publish it? It would make it much simpler.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The A7 has a metal bolt shroud whereas the T3 has a plastic one. The A7 has metal feed lips on the magazine whereas the T3 has plastic.
I think this is wrong, the A7 also has a plastic bolt shroud................VaHillbilly.

SamOlson and others who own the A7 claim that the A7 has a metal shroud coated in plastic. This is unlike the 100% plastic T3 shroud.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread.../Since_We_re_An_Honest_bunch#Post3922066

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/29/10.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, the A7 shroud is some sort of metal covered by some sort of hard plastic, that should clear things right up.....(grin)

I've never owned a T3 so I can't comment on them but I do have an 85 and A7(both in 300 WSM).

The biggest difference I've found between the two is how much slimmer the A7 is when carried in your hand. Given the A7 has a single stack mag unlike the staggered version in the 85, it is a full .3" thinner(measured at the front action screw). That doesn't sound like much but you really notice it when carrying the rifle for more than 5 minutes. The A7 also feeds slicker than the 85.

My A7 is also lighter but that's partly because I have a larger scope and Optilocks on the 85.
All up ready to hunt the A7 weighs 7.6lbs., while the 85 weighs about a pound more.

Accuracy-wise they are both 100% equal.
.5-1MOA out to 400-500 yards is the norm with the right bullet/load.
FWIW, both rifles shoot the EXACT same 180 Partition/R17 load pretty damn well which will really make things simple this Fall.

Verdict, save the money and get an A7. IMHO, it's a better (hunting)rifle regardless of price.

That said the 85 is still a fine rifle and has a 'nicer' action and didn't require bedding where as I wish the A7 has less plastic and did require bedding.

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/29/10.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I agree with nsaqam - when the A7 comes out in left-hand, I will consider it, but until then, it looks like the Tikka is the answer for the left-hand shooter. The problem is that even if the A7 is made in a left-hand, Beretta probably won't import it. The left-hand T3 is made in all the same calibers that the right-hand model is made in, but Beretta refuses to import them all to the US. Why they will import the 6.5x55 and 338 Federal, as well as other calibers, to Canada but not the US, is a mystery to me, which Beretta has refused to answer every time I have asked. While I love the Tikka and Sako rifles, and the Beretta shotguns, Beretta's customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Normally, The Sako 85 SS is out of my price range. But i picked one up NIB from a fellow member here for $725.00 in .338 Federal and I love this rifle.

Sako A7 SS in 30-06 NIB right now on GB for $565.00

Bottom line is that there are some great deals around right now on some Sako's. And IMHO anyway, it's very hard to beat their quality. YMMV

CLB

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I got that nsaqam, It has a plastic shroud with a metal liner, a step above the Tikka, I'm really considering trying an A7 SS in 30.06, at $565.00 I don't think anything else can compete, certainly not in this price range.............VaHillbilly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No question Va, when I saw the price you can get a new A7 for now I almost flipped.

I've seen some T3's selling for more than $565!

When there was several hundred dollars difference between the A7 and the T3 it was kinda hard to make the case for the A7.

Not anymore!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I posted this review on another A7 thread and I like how he compares it to the T3 and the 75/85:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_and_Products/Sako-A7-Review-09090804.html

Not that it matters but the 85 and A7 come with 5 shot guarantees and if I remember right the 75 came with a 3 shot guarantee.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
brent, the 5 shot guarantee is news to Me on the A7,thanks but I don't put a lot of stock in any guarantee that doesn't include a factory shot target as proof.......I did notice that on Beretta's site that the A7's were listed as the new A7 ST model (ST for soft touch), so I'd say some distributors got some good deals on last year model rifles and the low $565.00 price won't last long, I better make My mind up soon smirk...............VaHillbilly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I got Cabelas flier yesterday that had A7's on sale from $850 to $699. Prices seem to be all over the map or there has been a significant increase.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think VaHillbilly got it right above.

These sub $600 A7's are probably last years models and they will be going away soon.

You folks who are thinking T3 or A7 right now better act quickly if you prefer the A7.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brents99
I posted this review on another A7 thread and I like how he compares it to the T3 and the 75/85:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_and_Products/Sako-A7-Review-09090804.html

Not that it matters but the 85 and A7 come with 5 shot guarantees and if I remember right the 75 came with a 3 shot guarantee.

FWIW the Sako M-75's had a 5-shot guarantee.

What their guarantee basically says is that it has to shoot a 5 shot MOA group before it leaves the factory, yes it would certainly be nice if they would give the load and group with the gun but they don't. But in any event if your M-75/85/A-7 isn't shooting MOA or better you need to find the load it likes or work on your shooting skills, it's not the rifle if it doesn't...................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't put a lot of stock in it either but with bullet tech today I think a lot of bolt action manufactures could get away with a guarantee...at least a 3 shot one.

I have been watching the guy on Gunbroker since the first of January and at that point he had a boatload of A7's for sale so you are probably right on last year's models. I'm sure he got a bulk purchase deal from Beretta.

I'm sure Sako uses their own ammunition for the accuracy check; too bad we can't get it in the states. I am currently working up a load for my 22-250 A7 and so far my best 3 shot group is 5/8" and I believe it will do better.

I really want to buy another one but can't justify it right now....

A7 5 Shot

Last edited by brents99; 03/30/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brents99

I really want to buy another one but can't justify it right now....

Brents99, Trust me on this, you'll never own as many guns as you really want if you have to JUSTIFY each one! smile

Now I've managed to come up with some pretty lame EXCUSES for buying guns but please don't make me JUSTIFY a Gun purchase, if I did I'd probably only have a 22 rifle a 12 guage pump and a 30-06 Rifle, what fun would that be? smile ..................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot my A7 again this morning and it continues to be very consistent. Shoots way better than I can.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Sako Guarantee, and you can throw in Weatherby also for that matter, is no more than words on paper, and not even a big deal, any relaoder with time and minimal skill should be able to make all but the worst examples of riflery shoot MOA, Rifles today are made using CNC machines that leave tolerances that rifle makers could only dream of back in the day....I think we should get over these guarantees, they aren't a big deal.................VaHillbilly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly, Hillbilly...
(grin)

It takes a little experimentation to wring out the potential.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.