-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The oven method.If the purchase of cast bullet is made and they are inserted into an oven with 2/3s of the bullet covered by water how long do you heat the top 1/3 and at what temp?And how does this take the bullet from say 22bhn to a softer nose?I would think the heat would be like heat treating them which would be harder.Get a little info here please?

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Cottonstalk, if you use the pan method with the bullets standing in water you don't place them in the oven, you just quickly heat the exposed nose with a torch, watching the color carefully, this draws the temper (hardness) out of the nose & makes it much softer than the submerged portion, then you tip them over in the water.
This method does work but can be a little tricky to get a handle on.
When using the oven method (without water) you can harden bullets & you can "draw" them back in hardness, say you have some bullets that are 22-30 hardness & want to use them for plinking loads, you put them in the oven at maybe 350 degrees & draw them back down in hardness, you really need to get a copy of Veral Smiths book on cast bullets, its worth every penny & explains everything in great detail. Beartooth Bullets also has a manual out but its just a copy of Veral's.
When you start heat treating in the oven it takes some experimenting but you can take certain alloys to about any hardness you desire, some alloy's won't heat treat. Wheelweights work great here, Linotype is already about 22 BHN but won't heat treat beyond that.
Hope this helps.

Dick

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC,

If you are making a softnose with WW alloy trying to draw, its not going to go below its original air cooled hardness.

WW metal for all but the fastest handgun speeds is going to be too hard to expand, and only alloys that respond to heat treating will draw to softer levels once they air cure.

A pure lead, lead/tin or lead/silver/tin make hollowpoints and softnoses work like we want them to: They wrap like ductile foil at even the mildest speeds.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
then you tip them over in the water.

I think that will re-harden them, won't it?

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Outdoorman, you might be right, I don't do it this way (in the water) it would seem that the heat will transfer down the bullet somewhat if you don't tip them, but again I could be wrong on this method. Also the water has to get quite warm in a hurry from the torch which might also affect the hardness. I'll continue to do it my way as its proven to be reasonably fast & the bullets come out perfect.

Dick

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I've done the annealing in the water with the torch, and even though the water does get quite warm the shank stays super hard. I've had mixed results by annealing in the water. I use a 50/50 alloy of ww/soft, and the bhn is still up there a ways on the nose (maybe 10-12) even after torching it. for rifle velocities it works fine, but for handgun the two-part method is better.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.