Print Thread
Hop To
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've been looking for a Marlin 1894, as everything that I've read about them sounds great. They are very hard to find. One question - are there peep sights available for them? If so, what do the peep sights cost, and is any drilling needed for mounting?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
XS or Skinner sights require no gunsmithing. XS about $85, Skinner about $60.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems a few years back Marlin stopped D&T the left side of the receivers for micro sights. If you get an older Manuf Model you can use the Lyman sights or can also have the Tang D&T for a Marbles or Lyman Tang. I have a Skinner - which screws down to the rear scope mnt holes. Its very simple, but rugged as can be.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There are a few different peep sights that are available for the Marlin 1894. I have the Williams on mine. I like it alot. I have it mounted in the forward scope mount holes. It was just a little too far back for my taste in the back holes. I like all the different apertures that are available for the Williams sight. I also like the fact that all you have to do is take the aperture out and you have a "ghost ring" sight. I never could understand why people pay so much for "ghost ring" sights. They have no additional options while the peep sight has a bunch of different options, and is usually a little bit cheaper. The Skinner is also a fantastic choice. I have one that was made for a Marlin 1894, but I mounted it on an Encore 45/70 barrel. Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 04/02/10.

West By God Virginia
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No trick to have the XS threaded to accept all the different Williams inserts, though I never understood why people need 47 aperture options nor 53 different loads for one rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Skinner on my Guide Gun and am quite pleased.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
+1 on the skinner. I have a skinner rear with a williams fire sight on the front.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
There are a few different peep sights that are available for the Marlin 1894. I have the Williams on mine. I like it alot. I have it mounted in the forward scope mount holes. It was just a little too far back for my taste in the back holes. I like all the different apertures that are available for the Williams sight. I also like the fact that all you have to do is take the aperture out and you have a "ghost ring" sight. I never could understand why people pay so much for "ghost ring" sights. They have no additional options while the peep sight has a bunch of different options, and is usually a little bit cheaper. The Skinner is also a fantastic choice. I have one that was made for a Marlin 1894, but I mounted it on an Encore 45/70 barrel. Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hogghead,

Are you using the Marlin factory front sight or a replacement?

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 04/04/10.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Big +1 on the XS. Tough, and dam usable.

MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the skinners on two of my 1894's. They work.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hogghead,

Are you using the Marlin factory front sight or a replacement?

Doc

I did not even try using the factory front sight. I personally like a taller white bead front sight. A taller sight seems to give me more light through the peep. And I really like the white. I think I know what you are getting at. However I can not tell you if the factory front sight is tall enough or not. I never even tried it. Nor have I tried it on any of my other rifles with peep sights. I replace the front bead immediately. Tom.

West By God Virginia
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the info on all those options. Now if I can only find an 1894C in stock anywhere, I'll be in business.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Daveman, I just watched one sell on Auctionarms for $475 used but in good shape. There are usually a few on Gunbroker as well. I picked up a couple three years ago for the grandkids and they have gone up in price since then. Of course everything has. Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.