Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I read someplace that the Savage magazines fit the Cooper Model 57 so I ordered one from Brownells and it fits and works fine. It looks different from the one Cooper supplied because it has 2 grooves in the side of the magazine where the factory mag has only one groove. Also the "floor plate" doesn't have the nice contoured bottom but the function is normal in my rifle. Never yet had a feeding problem with either magazine but I never have tried the odd shaped bullets, only round nose or hollow points. The Savage mags are only about $11 in my last catalog. Might be worth a try. (I see Midway has a 6 round Savage mag from John Masen company but I don't think that's the same one Brownells has.)

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know thanks.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
That's some good information, Thanks..........VaHillbilly.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got three Coopers now. Had to do some gun tradin' because they are a bit spendy, but well worth it. I prefer buying them online because that way I have been able to find ones with particularly nice wood. My .22 LR is an older model 36 that was my first one. I have never been able to shoot that one hole group either, but I haven't shot it with a 36X scope in a tunnel either. Doesn't matter though; this rifle is accurate enough with winchester super x ammo that I have often used 12 ga shotgun shells lying down and shooting at the bases as targets... at 100 yds (off a bench rest and no wind) with good success. My 22-250 routinely shoots in the .3's, bench and no wind, and my 270 is shooting .5 consistently.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Your right cobrad, I didn't have a 36x scope and a tunnel but I'm not still not overly impressed with this rifles accuracy, I have several rifles that will at least shoot as good. I have an Anschutz 1416d HB that will out shoot it, hell I got a Remington 504 that I got NIB for $350.00 that will shoot with this rifle using comparable ammo, I guess the accuracy issue to Me has got Me down more than the feeding issue (I think it's a bad magazine no big deal) but I paid some damn big bucks for this thing, for Me anyway, and it is only slightly more accurate than My $300.00 6 year old CZ 452, the factory supplied target that came with this thing really had Me fired up.................VaHillbilly.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, that is something to be fired up about as they are spendy rifles. I once had a Kimber I thought did not perform up to par and they had me send it back to inspect it. Have U asked Cooper to do the same? A one hole group is attractive, but the rifle has to shoot very small groups consistently to live up to it's guarantee.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cobrad
A one hole group is attractive, but the rifle has to shoot very small groups consistently to live up to it's guarantee.

I tried a box of Lapua Midas M that my test target was fired with and it really was a more accurate load than any other round, nearly matching the factory target but on an open 50 yard range with an 8x scope but at $15 for a box of 50 I can't see doing that much eek

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never have tried the match ammo mine was tested with, too expensive and slow to hunt with. I tried several different brands that I would actually use, and found that Winchester Super X was the best in my rifle. And it does shoot very small groups consistently.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried several different brands that I would actually use, and found that Winchester Super X was the best in my rifle. And it does shoot very small groups consistently.

Yep, that's where I settled too. 7x57Steve and I split a case of it so I'm stuck with it now!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never have tried the match ammo mine was tested with, too expensive and slow to hunt with. I tried several different brands that I would actually use, and found that Winchester Super X was the best in my rifle. And it does shoot very small groups consistently.

I have tried several lower end target loads,as well as some high velocity loads,and SK Standard Plus shoots much smaller groups than anything else that I have tried.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gotta love a Cooper. Super slick bolt travel, built to order, accurate and will be a firearm that your kids can pass onto their kids.
One word of caution though, their .22's are built with match chambers so there is a good chance they will not chamber most of the cheap ammo being sold.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'll tell ya what this Cooper Mod 57M reminds me of is a Kimber of Oregan Cascade model 22lr I had years ago, and as I remember it didn't feed well either, I wonder if it is the same rifle?....................VaHillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought two magazine when I purchased my Cooper.One feeds perfectly,the other was replaced under warranty because it didn't like to feed the last round on occasion.The replacement magazine feeds perfectly,as long as I don't try to shoot CCI standard velocity ammunition in it.It takes much more effort to close the bolt with those loads,and accuracy isn't great either.I just received my order of 5000 SK Standard Plus loads,so I am good to go for a while.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I sent My bolt and magazine back to Cooper, the guy at Cooper (Mike) thinks between the two that he can fix it without boxing up the whole rifle and sending it back.........My fingers are crossed eek..............VaHillbilly.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I once had a problem with mine, which turned out to be a broken extractor. I sent it back and they made it good as new. I am still happy about that. Through many factory rifles and a number of customs, I have not found a better value than a Cooper. The last custom I had built was an ultra-light .338 mag. Metal work was great, except for the 3/4" wide burr on the side of the action where they had milled it down, The stock work was unbelievably poor, simply unfathomable that it ever left the shop. Accuracy, guaranteed to be sub-moa, was 1.5 moa with their loads, and I shoot well enough to tell the difference. My Coopers have all easily met their accuracy guarantee, look superb, and cost half what a custom does. Did I say I like Cooper rifles?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My SK Standard Plus loads arrived from Hirsch Precision,so I shot a few groups with my Cooper 22lr to verify the accuracy.At 50 yards,five shot groups under 1/2" were easy despite the +5C temps and 19km wind.I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of even better accuracy,but I am not willing to spend the high price of top end match ammunition to prove it.The SK Standard Plus loads are under $500 per 5000,and offer good accuracy for a reasonable price.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
That's nice accuracy but for competition you need a little better, but just for fun shooting or hunting this is more than acceptable.................VaHillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I once had a problem with mine, which turned out to be a broken extractor. I sent it back and they made it good as new. I am still happy about that. Through many factory rifles and a number of customs, I have not found a better value than a Cooper. The last custom I had built was an ultra-light .338 mag. Metal work was great, except for the 3/4" wide burr on the side of the action where they had milled it down, The stock work was unbelievably poor, simply unfathomable that it ever left the shop. Accuracy, guaranteed to be sub-moa, was 1.5 moa with their loads, and I shoot well enough to tell the difference. My Coopers have all easily met their accuracy guarantee, look superb, and cost half what a custom does. Did I say I like Cooper rifles?
Well? Quit beaten around the bush, do You like Cooper's or not? grin.............VaHillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's nice accuracy but for competition you need a little better, but just for fun shooting or hunting this is more than acceptable.

The gun is a sporter weight Jackson Hunter bought for plinking and some small game hunting.In fact,I actually prefer the 17mach2 for ground squirrels,crows and magpies.My 17mach2 is also a Cooper Jackson Hunter. grin

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
You have some extremely nice rimfires, Mach2 and ground squirrels? sounds like loads of fun! I had a Mach2 once in a CZ 452 and it was unreal how flat the trajectory was out 100yds with that little lightening bolt of a cartridge...............VaHillbilly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.