Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Not as a panacea, of course, but as another potentionally useful tool, I'd like to see the Border Patrol douse border-crossers with indelible dye from aircraft, as fire-fighters air-drop retardent spray.

Some wetbacks would go back.

The rest would be easy to ID.

Locals would be less likely to start shooting.

(I think.) s

That is not only funny, but a damn good idea. Welcome back Ken and Happy Easter!

JM

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I can see the headlines now,....

"Migrants sprayed with chemicals".

For the life of me I can't figure why that cracks me up.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe we could mix in a sterilizing agent...

I know, that's mean.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pepper Spray,.....?

Seems appropriate,....no ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gentian violet -- fluorescent if possible.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll predict that THIS WEEK is going to be the real "Breaking News" week,....regarding this sad tale.

Call it "Gut". Some coverage of meetings that took place yesterday will be released,.....etc. This is an interesting article, for anyone in the dark. There's OTS of good commentary fro "Everyday Joe & Jill" .

CHECK OUT THE LAST PARA.

GTC

Link: http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12252267

Viewers flood KGUN9 with border security comments
Posted: Apr 03, 2010 2:03 PM Updated: Apr 03, 2010 2:37 PM

Viewers have inundated KGUN9 News this week with commentary on border security issues. The security debate erupted anew last weekend following the murder of popular rancher Robert Krentz. In fact, few subjects in recent memory have sparked such an outcry to KGUN9. Traffic on this subject even rivals the volume of comments we received over health care reform.

"Guest" wrote: "While I appreciate that it is a serious matter when someone is murdered and while I do not know the full circumstances. WHY MUST THE STATE OF ARIZONA ASK FOR THE NATIONAL GUARD? DON'T WE SPEND ENOUGH ON POLICE OF VARIOUS KINDS AND LEVELS? How much would our good friends in Phoenix scream if the President called our fine Governor and said, 'I don't like what is going on in Arizona, and I think that there is a clear and present danger, so I am sending in the National Guard.' Wow, the screaming would be heard all the way to the border."

"Dennis L": "Arizona should deploy the National Guard the same as New Mexico has done. The primary function of government is to provide a defense against foreign powers. The rest of the country unfortunately does not grasp the gravity of the border problem yet and it may take sometime before Washington gets it. In order to awaken the rest of the Union to the danger, Arizona must spend the money for the first line of defence. It is a shame that the Arts, Education, Social Programs and Justice System must take the budget hits, but we must keep our priorities straight."

"Gary A": "The governor has the ability to deploy the Arizona National Guard. Why doesn't the Governor take the same actions that the Governor of New Mexico did yesterday. He deployed the NM National Guard to patrol the border."

"AmericanP8triot": "Sad that this issue is coming to this. This is a matter of national security, but the current administration is ignoring it. This is insane. Obama needs to get his head out of his [deleted] and defend the borders.... Rest in Peace Robert Krentz... condolences to his family."

"Anonymous:" This morning you spoke with John McCain regarding the border issues. It upset me to hear him blame President Obama for not handling the problem. The illegals coming across the border got dramatically worse during the Bush Administration and he did little. The failed attempts cost us an enormous amount of money, but those were Bush policies not Obama's. Obama has been cleaning up after the Republicans ever since he took office.... We also need a legal means for Mexicans that want to move here to come legally, so they can pay taxes and are not a burden on Americans.... I'm confident that Obama will work on this issue and make progress, like he has in dealing with all the other messes that he inherited. McCain has been in the Senate a long time, and nothing worthwhile has been done to secure our borders and reduce illegal immigration. It's a joke for him to now blame Obama."

Ray Bouton of Palominas: "John 'Amnesty' McCain is partially to blame for Robert Krentz' death. We in Cochise County have been asking that something be done about the illegal alien invasion for years. Now in the wake of this tragedy these politicians will use it to their purpose of scoring political points for their re-elections. Put the U.S. Military on the border!!"

TWo viewers also commented on the difficulty, as documented in KGUN9 reports, of getting the White House to even respond -- yes, no, or maybe -- to the request to send in the National Guard.

"Mike": "What? Obama keep an campaign promise? Transparency is only important when you're a presidential candidate, not the president. Watch how many people fall for his same BS speeches in the next election even after they have proof that he lies."

"Deborah" of Green Valley thought we were being a little whiney in reporting on the difficulty of prying loose an answer from the Obama administration, a process one of our reports described as "painful." She wrote: "Painful? Really? Investigative reporting? I kinda thought that's what the media is supposed to do."

Here's a word of explanation about that. As we state in our Viewers' Bill of Rights, KGUN9 believes public officials have a duty to respond to the public about the public's business. Yes, that does include the President. He's an incredibly busy man, obviously. But this is an important issue. Governor Jan Brewer has been asking the administration for more than a year to send in the National Guard. An answer of "no" is one thing. But the governor told us those requests had failed to elicit a response of any kind. NOw, many other politicians and citizens are making the same request. Do the governor and people of the great state of Arizona not rate an answer from the President? We think they do. As part of our news philosophy, we do make the level of responsiveness we get from public officials part of our reporting. And that is why we were so persistent, and why we reported extensively on our efforts even on the day when we struck out completely. That said, to the credit of the Obama administration, we finally did get an answer (I believe we were the only news organization in the state to get one, but I could be wrong about that). In my experience previous administrations have been even less responsive. (BTW - the office of Homeland Security boss and former Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano told us that if we want to speak with her about these issues, to file a request, take a number and expect to wait at least a month, maybe two).

In addition to smacking us around for whining, "Deborah" also makes these points: "What a terrible tragedy that this poor man was murdered near the border. Sadly, not a surprise, tho. AZ is fast becoming a police state - we have county sheriffs, police, state police, border patrol, reservation police, fish and game police, ICE, sheriff's and BP helicopters flying over our homes at all hours of the day and night. BUT, they're not ON THE BORDER. Instead, we have hundreds of gigantic gas-guzzling SUVs driving up and down I-19 all day (speeding AND wasting gas) because their headquarters is in Tucson, 75 miles away, instead of ON THE BORDER. It might be beneficial for the National Guard to be assigned to the border again. It would be even more helpful to have the Border Patrol ON THE BORDER."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Something for the Chopper Jocks

Photo of the day,...and some text,......These things fly RIGHT over my place on their standard ingress / egress,

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As noted earlier today,......THIS will be the week that whatever serious MSM "attention" that's gonna' get paid,....gets paid.

Call it a hunch,

GTC

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/05/border-fence-renewed-rancher-killing/

Updated April 05, 2010
Border Fence Under Renewed Fire After Rancher Killing

By Joshua Rhett Miller

- FOXNews.com

The killing of Arizona rancher Robert Krentz allegedly by an illegal immigrant has drawn fresh scrutiny to the patchwork of fencing along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border.

* print
* email
* Check recommend (3)

Decrease Font A A A Increase Font

Local rancher Glenn Spencer stands by a vehicle barrier along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona. (Courtesy of American Border Patrol)

The killing of Arizona rancher Robert Krentz allegedly by an illegal immigrant has some critics pointing out that hundreds of miles of U.S.-Mexico border fencing isn't even high enough to stop a person on foot.

Of the 646 miles of barriers currently constructed along the 2,000-mile southern border of the United States, 300 miles are vehicle barriers, according to the Department of Homeland Security. That means they're meant to keep out cars and trucks, but aren't high enough to keep out people crossing the border illegally on foot.

Fencing in place just south of the Krentz family ranch in southeastern Arizona is exactly that kind of vehicle barrier, plus there's a sizable gap in the fence nearby.

Residents and officials say the security barrier is simply ineffective, and that the killing last month is shining a light on the problem.

Rancher Wendy Glenn, Krentz's longtime friend and neighbor who heard the man's last radio transmission to his brother, said she has roughly 4 miles of border fence along Malpai Ranch. The "wildlife-friendly" barrier -- one that allows large animals and determined people to pass through freely -- ranges from large Normandy-style "X" crosses to standard posts and rails, topping off at no more than six feet high, she said.

"It doesn't keep any people out," Glenn told FoxNews.com on Monday. "We don't want any more fence here. We want more people on the border. No matter what they put in, they're going to tunnel under, cut through, or use ladders. We don't need that."

Glenn characterized the border fence as a "big waste of money" and called for increased federal presence along the remote areas, as well increased communication among law enforcement agencies.

"We need more people on the border," she said. "And we need more horse patrols -- they are awesome."

Jenny Burke, a spokeswoman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said 646 of approximately 670 miles of pedestrian and vehicle border fencing has been constructed as of March 26. Just six miles of fencing infrastructure remains to be completed along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, Burke said.

The roughly 1,350 miles that will not be protected by a border fence of any kind will be patrolled by border agents, other infrastructure or technology, Burke said, or a combination of all three.

Pedestrian fencing used along the border is determined by the geography and have several variations, including steel picket-style fences set in concrete, blockades similar to those found around federal buildings and concrete walls with steel mesh. Vehicle fences, meanwhile, are about 6 feet tall and are typically large Normandy-style crosses.

"And they're all welded together," she said. "So they're impossible to move."

Burke said areas selected for physical fences are locations where illegal immigrants could easily blend in with local surroundings if those individuals successfully crossed the border.

During a tour of the border along Fort Hancock, Texas, last week, Border Patrol Agent Joe Romero said security in the area was improving despite rising fears in the community that drug cartel-related violence in El Porvenir, Mexico, could spill over into the U.S. town at any moment. Still, threats remain, he said.

"At no point am I going to indicate that we have full control of the border, or that we're 100 percent secure on the border," Romero told FoxNews.com. "It's still a struggle, there's still some work to be done. But we've made huge strides."

Romero, one of about 2,600 U.S. Border Patrol agents scouring the 125,000-square mile El Paso sector, extending from Fort Hancock to the New Mexico-Arizona state line, said apprehensions in the area have fallen approximately tenfold in the last four years, from roughly 122,000 in fiscal year 2006 to about 15,000 last year.

The border fence in Fort Hancock roughly 50 miles southeast from Ciudad Juarez, the epicenter of Mexico's ongoing drug war, stands about 20 feet tall in some areas and is entirely absent in others. And along some stretches of land between Fort Hancock and Tornillo, Texas, the nearest town, all that separates the U.S. and Mexico is the ankle-deep Rio Grande River.

Despite its perception as a cure-all blockade, Romero said the border fence is meant to deter large groups of illegal immigrants from entering the country illegally. It's also meant to slow down any would-be border-crossers, giving crucial seconds to roving border patrols in trucks, all-terrain vehicles and on horseback.

Former Colorado Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo, whose touchstone issue is illegal immigration, told FoxNews.com the federal government needs to ideally have a "layered" fence along with National Guard patrol along the entire southern border. A layered fence is a barrier that includes a fence, a road and another fence.

But he said the hundreds of miles of fencing along the border now are not effective.

"That's what's so maddening," Tancredo said.

"It doesn't stop people," said Charles Heatherly, executive director of Tancredo�s Rocky Mountain Foundation. "It's a lie."

Heatherly said in an e-mail to FoxNews.com that the kind of fence by Krentz's home is incapable of stopping "drug smugglers like the one who killed Rob Krentz."

It's unclear who killed Krentz, but local authorities said they suspected an illegal immigrant since footprints near the scene of the crime led back to the Mexican border.

FoxNews.com's Judson Berger contributed to this report.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This IS,....and has been a good clean source of current intel.

Today's postings no exception,

Understanding that one must actually be able to READ!

GTC

M3 Report
Reports derived and translated directly from Mexican and Central American News Sources
� Mexico is falling apart!
Over the weekend: US continues to be blamed for arms traffic; Violence continues in border state
By m3report

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FORMER BORDER PATROL OFFICERS
Visit our website: http://www.nafbpo.org
Foreign News Report

The National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers (NAFBPO) extracts and condenses the material that follows from Mexican and Central and South American on-line media sources on a daily basis. You are free to disseminate this information, but we request that you credit NAFBPO as being the provider.
To subscribe, click here

Saturday 4/3/10

El Universal and El Financiero (Mexico City) 4/2/10

Mexicans up in (fire) arms

A Mexican citizen�s organization, National Confederation of Popular Organizations (CNOP), advised that in 2009, Mexican authorities seized 29,000 firearms, 95 percent of which were made and sold in the US. In an interview, Edmundo Ramirez, Secretary of International and Migratory Affairs of the CNOP, complained that these arms have entered Mexico illegally by land, many through border ports of entry. Ramirez pointed out that not even countries at war in any period of time had received 770 arms per day, legally or illegally, as Mexico has received in the past 14 months. He said that an analysis reveals that the sale of arms in the US in the first months of 2010 and all of 2009 increased 18 percent because of the demand on major arsenals on the part of bands of Mexican narcotraffickers and criminals. According to the Mexican security agencies, they were only able to intercept 10 percent of the total arms and ammo that entered illegally. Ramirez said that according to data from the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Phoenix, AZ, sales of high caliber handguns have increased 50 percent within the past 14 months. He indicated that part of the firearms traffic into Mexico is carried out by individuals who buy the arms for organized crime and then smuggle them in their autos to deliver them to the criminals. (Ed. note: It has already been shown that the 95% figure that continues to be bandied about by both governments is based only on the 18% of weapons� serial numbers provided by the Mexican authorities to the US ATF. That would indicate that over 82% of the weapons Mexico seizes come from elsewhere, which include grenades, RPGs and high explosives not legally available in the US. Their figures routinely ignore Mexico�s virtually unguarded southern border with Guatemala and its equally porous Pacific seaports.

��

Mexico offers 5 million pesos for murderers

Last December 16, the Mexican Naval Special Forces carried out a well-coordinated operation in Cuernavaca, Morelos that brought down drug kingpin Arturo Beltran Leyva, �the boss of bosses.� The operation resulted in the deaths of Beltran and six of his henchmen, but also cost the life of one of the Marines, Melquisedec Angulo Cordova. Following Angulo�s military funeral, a group of hired assassins were dispatched to the home of Angulo�s mother in Paraiso, Tabasco, and killed her and three other family members, apparently in retaliation for the blow struck to the criminal organization by the Marine operation. The killers have remained at large since the December 22 atrocity. Today, the Mexican federal Department of Justice (PGR) is offering a 5 million peso [$405,000] reward for information leading to the arrest of the assassins.

��

Battle in Reynosa leaves five dead

The governor of Tamaulipas reported the deaths of five people following a gunfight between elements of the Mexican Army and criminals in the border city of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, across the river from McAllen, Texas. The battle took place early Friday morning.

��

US students ordered home

The University of Texas in Austin ordered those students in an exchange program with the Technical Institution (TEC) in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, to immediately return home because of increasing violence in the past few days. Authorities at the U of T said the order does not affect students enrolled in other programs in Mexico.

�������

Sunday 4/4/10

El Universal (Mexico City) 4/3/10

More violence in Tamaulipas

Another message via internet to Mexican news media by the governor of Tamaulipas reports that at least seven people were killed in Tampico in a clash between rival criminal groups. Among the dead were two women. Another three people were killed in a gunfight between prison guards and gunmen who assaulted the jail in Reynosa. The report did not include details about the victims. In another report from the information center, armed men in 10 vehicles burst into the offices of the penitentiary in Reynosa unleashing a firefight with the guards. As a result, three inmates were killed and order has been restored at the facility. This story concludes with a note that may explain the recent rise in criminal activity in the northeast of Mexico: In the states of Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon, the Gulf cartel, allied with other groups, is carrying on a war with its former militant guard, Los Zetas, which began two months ago due to internal conflicts. (Note: there has been virtually nothing to report regarding crime from the Tamaulipas news media for quite some time. There are hints from other sources that such reporting is simply too risky. This may explain why news is now issued from the governor�s office.)

�������

Monday 4/5/10

El Universal 4/4/10

Update on Reynosa prison attack

Thirteen prisoners escaped after a group of armed men broke into the Reynosa, Tamaulipas, prison and killed three inmates [as reported yesterday ]. This additional information regarding the escapes comes from the Mexican federal justice department (PGR). This is the second collective attempt of prison escape in less than two months in the state of Tamaulipas. The governor had reported the death of three prisoners yesterday, but did not mention that 13 others had escaped. An agent of the PGR said that 31 prison guards are being interrogated in Reynosa, �a city across the border from the cities of Hidalgo and Pharr, Texas.� Last week, 40 members of the Gulf cartel were liberated from the prison in Matamoros, Tamaulipas.

��

Fear thins population in Ju�rez Valley

The violence of the past few years in Ciudad Ju�rez, Chihuahua, and surrounding areas has caused hundreds of residents to relocate in the US and central Mexico. The towns of Guadalupe and Praxedis G. Guerrero in the Ju�rez Valley and the counties of Hudspeth and El Paso in Texas have been affected by this rise in organized crime. In the Ju�rez Valley, 80 people have been victims of mob killings so far in 2010. In Guadalupe, with a population of 4,700 residents, criminal elements have burned down 30 homes in less than a month. Many of those awaiting bus transportation along the Ju�rez -Porvenir highway say they abandoned their homes and are carrying their essential belongings on their backs because what is important now is saving their lives. �Look, there is my house that my husband and I built 30 years ago,� said a woman, seeing her home in flames set by the criminal gangs. For many, their option is to escape to Hudspeth County, Texas, just across the river. Not only are they fleeing the criminal violence, but also the operations of federal forces that have arrived by thousands to combat the cartels. The people feel disillusioned because the authorities �have practically abandoned them.�

�������

La Jornada (Mexico City) 4/4/10

Six killed, one gravely wounded in Torreon, Coahuila

An armed group in several vehicles gunned down six men gathered in front of a house Saturday evening in Torreon, Coahuila, according to police reports. One other man was gravely wounded. in the attack. Coahuila is another of Mexico�s northern states bordering the US.

�������

Frontera (Tijuana, Baja California) 4/4/10

War against narco is lost: �El Mayo�

According to drug boss Ismael Zambada, �El Mayo,� one of the leaders of the Sinaloa cartel, the war begun by the government against narcotraffic �is lost� because� narco is in the society, ingrained like corruption.� In a meeting with veteran Mexican news reporter Julio Scherer, Zambada said, �The narco problem involves millions� and the replacement of bosses come from that fact. The Mexican government has offered a reward of 2.3 million dollars [US] for the capture of El Mayo who is a close friend of �El Chapo� Guzman, leader of the cartel.

�������

-end of report-

This entry was posted on April 5, 2010 at 10:15 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
4 Responses to �Over the weekend: US continues to be blamed for arms traffic; Violence continues in border state�

1. Sean Says:
April 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Reply

Wonder where the weaponry is really coming from? Check this out!

IMP (Russia�s Izhevsk Manufacturing Plant located in the Urals) announced in 2007 it would construct two separate factories in Venezuela, one to make AK-47s and the other to provide ammunition for the weapons. Both plants are scheduled to be completed by 2010.

The Izhevsk Mechanical Plant (IMP) has already manufactured and supplied 100,000 AK-103 assault rifles to Venezuela.

You can read the report yourself. http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Se...ezuelas-Kalashnikovs/UPI-12731187204944/
2. JJB Says:
April 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Reply

It seems that the Mexican government is suffering the results of all fascistic governments that deprive their citizens of self-defense. They apparently do not even trust their own military with guns. When they do have a victory, they seize the guns and herald the occassion with declarations that the U.S. provided them all. Yet , there are arms dealers all over the world, AK47s seem to be the most captured of all weapons and those are Russian!

Increased arms sales in the United States are blamed for increased violence in Mexico. I am sure that some of that statement is possibly true. However, American citizens increased insecurity and resulting purchase of legal arms is the reason for the spoke in domestic sales. Most of those stayed right where they were intended to be-safeguarding the health and safety of American citizens at home. The last few democratic administrations have been accompanied by increased crime, violence, illegal immigration and calls for gun confiscation. That is the insecurity Americans are buying guns for, that and the possibility of illegal incursions by Mexican mob groups along the border.
However, as usual, our own government is trying to diminish the second amendment by acepting non-existent blame for Mexican gunfire and terror in order to disarm our own still free citizens.
3. brandon Says:
April 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Reply

this site is GREAT!! best news source out of mexico i have found online. I thank everyone involved in this website.
4. pf Says:
April 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Reply

Once again, the Mexican press is �BSing� us when it comes to arms smuggling. We all know where this is going. It lends ammunition to those who would abolish our second amendment rights.

Fact:
. Only 17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to the U.S. (source: AFT*** � While 90 percent of the guns traced to the U.S. actually originated in the United States, the percent traced to the U.S. is only about 17 percent of the total number of guns reaching Mexico).

*** In 2007-2008, according to ATF Special Agent William Newell, Mexico submitted 11,000 guns to the ATF for tracing. Close to 6,000 were successfully traced � and of those, 90 percent � 5,114 to be exact, according to testimony in Congress by William Hoover � were found to have come from the U.S.
But in those same two years, according to the Mexican government, 29,000 guns were recovered at crime scenes.

I DO NOT CONDONE traffiking in firearms to Mexico � but I also DO NOT CONDONE our second amendment rights in this country being trampled to death. We need to establish permanent south bound checkpoints to intercept contraband going south.

Yes, this will inconvenience many travelers � however if they don�t like it, they don�t have to go!

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/05/10.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wish I had 50 cents for every dollar I ever spent getting liquored up at Pelicos' and the Delfron club, along with the money I pissed off on the entertaining ladies of the Caballo Blanco and the Linda Vista. I have not been across the line in over 20 years now, and wouldn't go now if you put a gun to my head. Mexico has nothing I need, and we have no nned for any of them, over here. I'd be quite pleased to see the border sealed off tighter than a mason jar. I go to twon now, and realize, they might as well move the border up to Hwy 80, all signs and advertisment in storefronts is in spainish. Ive even the staff at the deli counter in Wallmart, when I am ordering up some thin sliced pastrami ask..."no habla espanol?"
We are being taken over, like a cancer, and I don't know if there is a damned thing we can do about it?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I sure miss ramblin' and rollin' around Old Mexico myself, Jefe.

Last worked there in '97,....and it was pretty easy to tell that things were going away,...into another new, and different mode.

I wouldn't take the "Aqui le Habla" thing to serious,....there's folks here will tell you that you can find that in NAMPA IDAHO !

That, I'd have to comment is a LONG way North of our SR 80,...No?

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like our daredevil barnstormer Glenn, is not gonna' be quiet about this nonsense.

I think I'll follow his lead,

"The squeaky wheel" and all that.

GTC

Link: www.americanpatrol.com

Focusing on the "Fence"
Killing of Krentz Exposes Fraud
Fox used this photo by Melissa Jaramillo of American Border Patrol to show what is on the border south of the Krentz ranch.
Fox News -- April 5
Border Fence Under Renewed Fire After Rancher Killing
The killing of Arizona rancher Robert Krentz allegedly by an illegal [alien] has some critics pointing out that hundreds of miles of U.S.-Mexico border fencing isn't even high enough to stop a person on foot.
Of the 646 miles of barriers currently constructed along the 2,000-mile southern border of the United States, 300 miles are vehicle barriers, according to the Department of Homeland Security. That means they're meant to keep out cars and trucks, but aren't high enough to keep out people crossing the border illegally on foot. [See Maps]
Fencing in place just south of the Krentz family ranch in southeastern Arizona is exactly that kind of vehicle barrier, plus there's a sizable gap in the fence nearby.
Residents and officials say the security barrier is simply ineffective, and that the killing last month is shining a light on the problem.
Red DotAmerican Patrol Report Comment: It took the cold-blooded murder of Rob Krentz to focus attention on the border fence. As we have reported many times, the problem facing ranchers such as Krentz has not been vehicles racing across the border - it has been foot-traffic. Illegal aliens and drug smugglers easily walk the 15 to 20 miles to Arizona Highway 80 where load vehicles pick them up. They do it in 4-5 hours. So what did the DHS do to stop this foot traffic? They built vehicle barriers. And what would the National Guard do to stop them? Very little. However distasteful it may be to some, the only thing that will really stop this nonsense is a double-layered fence.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sure hearing a LOT of good solid editorial comment,.....

Basic "Gut Level" , unembellished American Journalism, I says'

"Providing for the common defense is one of the fundamental duties of government as envisioned in the U.S. Constitution. Doesn't adequate policing of our borders seem pretty basic to that mandate?"

Good words, these

GTC

Link: http://www.dailynews.com/opinions/ci_14815309

Tom Sirmons: The killing of an Arizona rancher dramatizes a growing border crisis
Tom Sirmons, a freelance writer and former Los Angeles resident, lives in Florida.
Updated: 04/05/2010 10:15:17 AM PDT

THE last anyone heard from Arizona cattle rancher Robert Krentz was when he called in to say he'd encountered an illegal immigrant on his land.

That was the afternoon of March 27. That night, the bodies of Krentz and his dog were found near a watering hole on the 30,000-acre ranch that has been in the Krentz family for more than a century. Both were dead of gunshot wounds. Local police figure the cross-border intruder who shot them fled back into Mexico.

I'm not a big fan of anecdotal evidence. It's too easy to manufacture a crisis by telling a few stories of people severely affected by this or that. But the killing of Robert Krentz is drawing new attention to the alarming state of affairs on the U.S. border with Mexico.

The stretch to which the Krentz ranch is adjacent is especially active. The beleaguered Border Patrol estimates that several million illegal immigrants cross over the 2,000-mile long southern border every year. Obviously, they're not all staying. The interdiction effort is so overextended that huge numbers are able to cross back and forth on a regular basis. And the traffic in undocumented workers, ruinous as that has been for schools, hospitals and law enforcement throughout the Southwest, is the least of it.

The Mexican drug cartels smuggle thousands of tons of heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine across the border every year, the majority of it through Arizona. They use private and commercial vehicles, human "mules,"
Advertisement
Quantcast
tunnels and light planes to penetrate U.S. territory. The drugs are distributed to around 20,000 street gangs in 2,500 cities across the United States, representing a million gangbangers, who grip their neighborhoods in a reign of terror. Billions of illicit dollars flow back across the border to the cartels, which are growing in power. A federal report concludes their production of heroin alone has doubled in the last 12 months.

The murder of Robert Krentz serves as a tragic focal point. Countless thousands die in gang-related killings, of drug overdoses, or commit suicide in despair over their addiction - all directly attributable to the government's failure to carry out one of its primary responsibilities, securing the border. What little patience I had with hearing about the "plight" of illegal immigrants is exhausted. And I'm far from alone.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer wants the Obama administration to send in the National Guard to help police her state's porous border. If the feds continue to renege on their obligation, Brewer says she'll mobilize the Arizona Guard herself. But she's angry that the state might have to pay for a service that rightfully falls under the purview of Homeland Security. The administration is not stepping up, Brewer says.

If millions of pounds of illegal drugs flowing in from Mexico annually doesn't alarm you, what if it were tons of anthrax or high explosives? Don't think for a moment that terrorists somehow have missed the fact that the U.S.-Mexico border is an imaginary line in more ways than one. The time is coming, and doubtless is not far off, when they strike on our soil again. No one should be surprised on that dark day when we learn that the instrument of terror entered the United States across our southern border.

For every conceivable reason, the federal government must act quickly to stanch the flow of illegal immigrants into the U.S. Half-hearted stabs at building walls and using high-tech monitoring systems won't cut it. Neither will the Democrats' unwillingness to offend a reliable constituency - an unwillingness which, at its most cynical, equates future Democrat hegemony with amnesty programs and laws, such as those on the books in many Southern California cities forbidding police even to inquire about immigration status. It is the lowest form of political patronage.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has just returned from Mexico City, where she led a delegation aimed at coordinating efforts to quell cross-border drug trafficking and violence. Yeah, well, talk is cheap. This is an administration that proposes to spend trillions of dollars on an unworkable, unwanted scheme to socialize health care. Diverting a mere fraction of that money to border security would go a long way toward relieving overcrowded hospital emergency rooms in southwestern states, many of which have had to shut down because of the demands placed on them by indigent illegals.

Providing for the common defense is one of the fundamental duties of government as envisioned in the U.S. Constitution. Doesn't adequate policing of our borders seem pretty basic to that mandate?

Return to Top

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GTC; if you were made king for a day, what steps would you take to stop illegal trespass from mexicans and what would be your remedy for the illegal drug flow into our country?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Jefe,...I gotta' dash over to the Neighbors, and pick up some fresh dug transplants,.....that I'll be planting on my digs.

GOOD , and challenging question, Sir, and I thank you for asking.

Little tractor ride's gonna' give me time to reflect on how to answer,....

from the Heart.

Back in a bit.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
GTC; if you were made king for a day, what steps would you take to stop illegal trespass from mexicans and what would be your remedy for the illegal drug flow into our country?

Holy Smokes, this is not that complicated,......on the surface,
Horrifically so,....when studied in depth !

I'll toss out Ideas / Proposals, just don't call em' carved in stone. Call em' Strategic goals.

Flexability and RAPID adjustment of tactical doctrine is the mark of success......ask George Patton.

A.) First initiative.....Halt any further "Lateral Encroachment",....the established "Routes" being used are the Laterals,.....5 or 6 exist in Cochise and Santa Cruz counties alone,....They are basically "DMZs" laying on a North / South axis. Sound Infantry doctrine (not really my area) should be IMMEDIATELY applied to taking control of and establishing dominance over these Laterals. Capture and Incarceration of the Aggressors attacked in these laterals should be of SECONDARY concern. Air superiority is already ours, and should be used to fullest effect.

B.) Virtually in synch with the sanitization and re-ocupation of the Laterals,.....the actual designated International Border should be Massively reinforced, The United Nations having been advised that actions being executed there are NOT within their charter.....or any of THEIR business.

As an aside, .....it would be nice to have the EVICTION of the UN going foward in NYC,....again,....in Synch with Border ops." Diplomatic immunity " having been suspended, strip searches and arrests for Drug and other contraband should be excersized. All property of the United nations to be approriated,....and the "Members to be sent home in the clothes on their backs.

MASSIVE and flamboyant "Firepower Demonstrations would be good for beleaguered American National Morale,....and would give Cartelistas pause. A 10 Gun runs,....artillery fire, and perhaps as one good Bud of mine suggested some 'Arc light' shennanigans might be of merit.

The objective of this initial cataclysmic thrust is going to be to PUSH a 10 Mile minimum DMZ into the Nation of Mexico,....the clearly stated objective being to SIEZE, and hold said territory in perpetuity, and for all time, as NEW American property. Sorry about that, .....

C.) Internally coordinated operations to eradicate / terminate with extreme prejudice ALL resident Narco-Terror Gangs, their affiliates, and colaborators should go foward in synch with A.) and B.). As per those missions,.....Capture and Incarceration of those targeted will be of SECONDARY consideration.Any survivors should be in shock from a very swift, violent, and ruthless campaign against them. Known repeaters and general bad actors would be summarily executed in an expeditious and efficient manner,....with local authority responsible.

D.) Once a secure "Line" is established,.....one might anticipate a period of "rest" and "Cooling Off".
WRONG !,........at that point select American forces should push South,....losing no momentum or tactical edge gained in the initial "Secure The Line" ops.

I'm famished,.....gotta' go wrangle some beans.

Nothing I've written above goes outside of the "Rules of engagement" already in place,.....as written by our aggressors,....does it?

The basic bare bones outline proposed above could certainly stand some fleshing out,.....bearing in mind that BREVITY is the heart and soul of good text.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Certainly a verifier,and damn good argument for a War of total extermination.

Bastards are operating from WITHIN Texas Prisons ?!

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/06/mexican-assassin-teams-target-law-enforcement/

Mexican 'Assassin Teams' May Target U.S. Law Enforcement, DHS Warns

By Joshua Rhett Miller

- FOXNews.com

Law enforcement officers in west Texas are on guard following an alert issued by the Department of Homeland Security warning of retaliatory killings for a recent crackdown on the Barrio Azteca gang.

AP

March 30: Police officers escort Ricardo Valles de la Rosa, right, to a court hearing in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

Law enforcement officers in west Texas are on guard following an alert issued by the Department of Homeland Security warning of retaliatory killings for a recent crackdown on the Barrio Azteca gang.

David Cuthbertson, special agent in charge of the FBI's El Paso division, said the paramilitary-style gang has an "open policy" to kill its rivals and may turn its sights toward local law enforcement officers.

"[They] are extremely cold-blooded and aggressive," Cuthbertson told FoxNews.com. "The killings are done really without thought and any kind of remorse."

Citing uncorroborated information, Homeland Security issued an Officer Safety Alert on March 22, advising lawmen in the El Paso sector to vary their routes to and from work and to wear body armor while on duty. The alert also suggested that officers' relatives pay closer attention to unusual activity in the area.

"The Barrio Azteca gang may issue a 'green light' authorizing the attempted murder of [law enforcement officers] in the El Paso area," the alert read. "Due to the threat, it is recommended that [law enforcement officers] take extra safety precautions."

The Barrio Azteca gang, which formed in Texas prisons in the 1980s, is a brother organization to the Aztecas gang in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, the epicenter of Mexico's violent drug war, Cuthbertson said.

He said members of the gang's "assassination teams" are thought to work for very small monthly fees. One official from the Drug Enforcement Administration has said Aztecas have been known to kill for as little as $100. Since 2006, drug violence across Mexico has claimed nearly 18,000 lives.

Eduardo "Tablas" Ravelo, the reputed boss of Barrio Azteca members living in Juarez, remains on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List, and the FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading to his arrest. He and other Barrio Azteca gang members serve as hitmen for the Vicente Carrillo Fuentes drug trafficking organization -- also known as the Juarez cartel -- and are responsible for several killings, according to the FBI.

The DHS warning came just days after hundreds of Barrio Azteca gang members were interviewed by officials from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and FBI following the murders of three people linked to the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez on March 13. More than 200 officers from at least 18 agencies participated in "Operation Knockdown," which resulted in at least 26 felony arrests of alleged Azteca members.

The Barrio Aztecas are believed to be aligned with the Juarez cartel against the Sinaloa drug cartel for control of the billion-dollar drug-trafficking routes through the El Paso-Ciudad Juarez corridor. Since 2008, the Aztecas have been rivals of the Artistic Assassins, or "Double A's," who serve as contract killers for the Sinaloa cartel, Cuthbertson said.

"They're very organized," he said. "They have a code they go by and certainly a communication network inside and outside of the prison system."

Cuthbertson said Barrio Azteca gang members have been found in central Texas towns like Odessa and Midland, as well as in southern Mexico.

Ricardo Valles de la Rosa, an Azteca sergeant, said last week in a purported confession that his gang was hunting for the vehicle of a Texas jail guard who was killed in one of two SUVs attacked in the March 13 shootings that killed El Paso jail officer Arthur Redelfs, his wife Lesley Enriquez, who worked as an employee of the U.S. consulate in Ciudad Juarez, and Jorge Alberto Salcido, the husband of another consulate worker.

Valles de la Rosa, according to his statement, was instructed by Azteca brass to target Redelfs due to alleged harsh treatment of Azteca members in jail. Valles de la Rosa was ordered last week to be held for trial on weapons charges for allegedly carrying a 9mm pistol when he was arrested.

Ron Martin, president of the El Paso Municipal Police Officers' Association, said that while he takes any threat to the law enforcement community seriously, he won't change his habits.

"It's not the first time a gang has put a hit out on El Paso police officers," Martin said. "Our guys are very highly trained, so they're pretty well prepared for just about anything. For them to come out and attack a law enforcement officer in the United States would be detrimental to their business."

Martin called the March 13 killings "unacceptable" and said he felt the killings were no less shocking because they occurred in Mexico, just across the border, rather than in El Paso or elsewhere in Texas.

"It doesn't matter if it actually happens across an imaginary dotted line, you're killing people for money," he said. "It's unacceptable."

Asked if he had changed his daily routines since the DHS alert, Martin said: "It's not like we're doing anything different because a bunch of murderers -- I call 'em terrorists -- are threatening us. Personally, I don't do anything differently than I did before. We're not changing the way we do our job because of them."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Reports derived and translated directly from Mexican and Central American News Sources
Violent Holy Week
April 6, 2010 by m3report

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FORMER BORDER PATROL OFFICERS
Visit our website: http://www.nafbpo.org
Foreign News Report

The National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers (NAFBPO) extracts and condenses the material that follows from Mexican and Central and South American on-line media sources on a daily basis. You are free to disseminate this information, but we request that you credit NAFBPO as being the provider.
To subscribe, click here

El Universal (Mexico City) 4/5/10

Guatemala, warehouse for the narco

Guatemala has become one of the main points for the Mexican drug cartels� delivery and storage of drugs that come principally from Colombia. From Guatemala, at least three routes of transport are used to deliver the narcotics to the US. Officials of the Mexican Secretary of National Defense (Sedena) report that the major cartels use transports identified as Central, Gulf and Pacific. The central route is controlled by the Sinaloa cartel; the Gulf, by the Gulf cartel and their former allies, Los Zetas; and the Pacific route is used by the Juarez, Sinaloa, Tijuana, Beltran Leyva brothers and La Familia Michoac�na. The Pacific route is used for the transport of chemicals needed in the production of synthetic drugs. These chemical products come mainly from Asia and Europe and enter Mexico through the seaports of Manzanillo, Colima and Lazaro Cardenas, Michoac�n, ports used by both La Familia Michoac�na and the Sinaloa cartel. Competition by the various rival transporters using the same areas keeps the violence rate high.

�������

El Financiero (Mexico City) 4/5/10

�The other Way of the Cross: 126 executed in 12 states�

Even Holy Week could not hold back the wave of violence affecting a large part of Mexico. Between Wednesday, March 31 and yesterday, 126 executions in 12 states were reported. Main contributors were the states of Tamaulipas, Chihuahua, Mexico and Morelos with a total of 110 cases reported. Add to that the armed attack on the prison in Reynosa to free prisoners and the Molotov cocktail attack by organized crime on the Catholic Temple near Cd. Juarez.

��

Venezuela � Russia arms deal

The purchase of Russian arms by Venezuela could add up to some 5 billion dollars under a new agreement, according to official Russian sources. The government of Hugo Chavez has already spent more than 4 billion dollars in arms purchases from Russia, including helicopters and 100,000 Kalishnikov rifles [the "K" in AK-47 ]. Quoting the closing statement of the article� �Venezuelan arms agreements are one of the various issues that have irritated the US in its relations with Russia.�

A second article regarding the arms agreement addresses a request by the US for Venezuela to make their purchases of arms transparent in order to prevent the �migration� of the arms to other parts of the region.

�������

-end of report-

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My thoughts...

1) They know all this chit, yet nothing is done? Too much money greasing too many politicians hands.

2) Anyone who believes religion is enough to "hold back violence" in this day and age, is an idiot.

3) I get supplying your army, but AFAIC, H.C. is a [bleep] idiot.

Later...

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/07/10.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.