Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah I just looked at the date on the thread, oh dopy me.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have to disagree a little with some of you.

A good barrel, let's say a Hart, will run you 330 bucks or so. Add flutes and your pretty near 500 bucks.

Yes its some money, but they are good barrels.

Ok?

Now the Adams & Bennett bbl I bought today at Midway cost 73 dollars and change.

So you spend 330 for a good barrel then another 300 for some action blueprinting and the bbl chambering and installation, at least check the face of the action and lap the lugs in and you got over 600 bucks for a new barrel installed.

Why buck for the blueprint?

Why spend that much money and not have it work right?

Ok now there is no way in hell that you are going to put a nice barrel like that on a small ring Mauser receiver, well not a whole lot anyway because you shouldnt load it hot in these guns, some of them weren't heat treated as well as they should have and the ring is smaller than the model 98s.

So you spend probably at least 375 for a beater Rem 700

Are you getting this? we are at a grand.

Will that gun shoot?

More often than not yes. Some guns never shoot period no matter what you do it seems.

Ok?

Now you got your 75 dollar Adams and Bennet and your smith charges you 100 or so maybe a little more, to finish ream the chamber, they are supposed to average about .025 short.

Ok, now you are into this project less than 200 bucks and all you are doing is building a hunting rifle, if it will hold zero and shoot like 1 1/4 MOA then u got a winner, NO ONE can hold that well on a real hunt without using a table with a front and rear rest.

So imho thats the difference close to 1k bucks for a hunting rifle that will work versus one that costs about 1/3 as much which will work most of the time, some will never shoot well.

Last edited by twosixfour; 04/07/10.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have an old pard who does his own gunsmith work. he's used a bunch of the A&B barrels and generally can get them all to shoot. A majority seem to be shooters right outa the gate, but some need to be lapped. He's had one or two that were just a pain to deal with. One he had to cut down short because it had a bad spot in the end of the barrel and one he never could get to shoot well due to a really rough spot directly ahead of the chamber. Long story short, for a smith or do it yourselfer, they can be a pretty good deal. I'd not take a chance on one myself these days, but for a cheap project gun they will generally work well. I've seen a number of 'em shoot tiny little groups consistently.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.