Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
How much would I expect to pay to have a Winchester M70-style three position safety installed on a Mauser action such as an FN or CZ?

Thanks, RS

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two so equipped, but it has been a while since I did one. Whatever the cost this is a neccesary and much preffered upgrade in my view, I think it will run you about $150-250 depending on WHICH 3 position safety is used (Gentry, LaPour, NECG, Brownells) and what your gunsmith charges for the install. My CZ550 MAgnum has an Ed LaPour unit that he installed and my FN has a Gentry installed by Jim rector of LaGrande Oregon.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can pick up a Chapman or Wisner that require a little extra machining that will cost you around $30 plus an hour or so of your smith's time. The guy who does my work would probably charge around 75 bucks plus parts.

Last edited by Aileinduinn; 04/11/10.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
I think it will run you about $150-250 depending on WHICH 3 position safety is used (Gentry, LaPour, NECG, Brownells) and what your gunsmith charges for the install.

Any preference in the aforementioned safeties? The action in question is an FN (JC Higgins).

I've had good luck with NECG in the past, but haven't used their safeties.

thx

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I run 2 position side swing safeties on 98's, not sure what the bloody attraction to 3 position is.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If You are intent on the three position ones, steer clear of the Gentry and Dakota. They have timing problems and are a bear to install. I offer the two postion ones for $105.

Jim

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a three position safety that locks the bolt, allows a hot chamber to to unloaded on safe along with testing ammo on safe. The M70 design that also controls the firing pin is superior to just a trigger safety.

The old style safety thats only two position that many mauser sporters came with like the Higgins are difficult to work by a right hander, click with noise when let off with just the thumb and of course don't control anything unloading a hot chamber.

I have had some 'mausers' converted to the M70 style three position. They are Dakotas. They work well but not as smooth as a Kimbers. My local smith installed them. Sure it costs some but it brings a nice rifle up to speed.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A two position side swing safety locks the bolt, but you can't work the action with the safety on. Don't see that as any big issue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used most of them. Once installed there is very little difference in any of the 3-postion safeties other than looks. The installation is the determining factor as to how smooth it is. Most gunsmiths charge between $75-$100 to install one. As to which one to buy. My advice is to find a gunsmith first, then buy the safety he recommends. Some Smiths prefer to work with a particular brand more than others.

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them. The one Gentry I own has been perfect from day one. Gentry will also install what they sell.

I think the nicest looking one I've ever used was a Stuart Satterlee model. It holds the original lines of the M98 bolt shroud but still has a nice custom look to it.
[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And it locks the firing pin as well!

When I unload a chamber that has a live round in it I prefer a M70 type safety. To each his own.

True my double barrel shotguns, 99's nor the falling block rifles have it. I just like the M70 design and the Kimber has the smoothest version.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage99, it's all about how the safety is timed. If the safety on your Mauser isn't as smooth it has more to do with the installation than the safety itself. I've felt "notchy" feeling safeties on M70's, Kimber's, M98's and Ruger MKII's (with aftermarket trigger's.) I've also experienced the same models with safeties that where very smooth. It's about the install, not the rifle brand.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a lot of old M70's here along with Dakotas on mausers along with Kimbers. Perhaps its Winchester and the smiths?

However none work as easy, quiet or smooth as the Kimbers.

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's because none are timed as well as the particular Kimber you own. All could/can be just as smooth.

These M70 style safeties have a small cam on the inside. This cam engages the cocking piece and has to move it back ever so slightly to hold it off the sear. The angle at which the cam on the safety meets the cocking piece are cut by the installer, This cut also determines how far the cocking piece is pushed off the sear. These all determine how smooth the safety is, going from fire to safe. Also, there is a pin that slides out of the inside of the safety shroud that locks the bolt when the safety is all the way back. If the channel in the bolt body isn't cut right, this can cause problems too and will affect the smoothness of the finished product.

If you took every safety you owned off the rifle they will all feel the same when you operate them. When installed they all feel different. It's because the different feel comes from the contact with other parts and how they mesh together. Installation is a MAJOR factor in the finished product.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Installation could be a major factor of course however dozens of pre 64 post war M70s all operate somewhat stiff and this includes many others that I have operated.

Also all of the aftermarket ones on mausers are not that easy.

A factor may be that the Kimbers parts and spring are not as heavy? The Kimbers operate much easier.

How can it be that all of these pre 64 M70's are somewhat stiff and rough and the Kimbers are smooth? Installation?, Workmanship? I don't think so but then I never installed one.

In any case I still prefer the M70 design.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked over the Kimbers here and the 8400 has a larger safety than the 84M. In fact its size and operation are closer to a M70 than the 84M.

Its the 84M's safety on its much smaller action thats so easy to use. Also the top corner of its safety has its edge rounded so it does not dig into my thumb like the M70 and Dakotas.

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Installation could be a major factor of course however dozens of pre 64 post war M70s all operate somewhat stiff and this includes many others that I have operated.

Also all of the aftermarket ones on mausers are not that easy.

A factor may be that the Kimbers parts and spring are not as heavy? The Kimbers operate much easier.

How can it be that all of these pre 64 M70's are somewhat stiff and rough and the Kimbers are smooth? Installation?, Workmanship? I don't think so but then I never installed one.

In any case I still prefer the M70 design.

No, it's because they aren't timed properly. The M70's can be made every bit as smooth as your Kimber. Same with the mausers. Not all Kimbers are smooth. It's not the shape it's the fit.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rip,

Some place around here, I have a new Ed LaPour 3 postion safety for a CZ 550.....If interested, I'll look for it and make you a good deal.....

Vern

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for one for an FN (JC Higgins) if anyone has one on hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a Kimber 84M? Do you have a M70?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Do you have a Kimber 84M? Do you have a M70?

Yes, I have owned both. I still own a M70 but not a Kimber at this time.

Why?

Terry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.