Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
Originally Posted by mudhen
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one. My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

Hope nobody thinks that is the going rate. Currently Gentry safety costs pretty close to $200. And we all know gunsmithing time is free.
Does your gunsmith do this for a living?

As a matter of fact, he did make a nice living at it for over 40 years. He retired late last year, much to my sorrow, although he did tell me that he will still build rifles for people he likes. smirk

And he is rebarreling a rifle for me as I write this.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've installed several Dakota three position safetys on VZ-24 actions.....and always in conjunction with a Timney trigger. Yes, there have been some difficulties but I have always got them to work and quite nicely.

I've had Jim Kobe install a Wisner two position safety and it too works quite well.....but the two position safety does not allow me to open the action while the rifle is still on safety. This is the only reason to make the converson IMO.....a two position safety can be had from Brownells for a whole lot less than any of the M-70 type safetys.

H
H
I have 2 swing safety's on my Mauser builds, a PTG, and a Wisner safety.
I love the PTG because it's a 3 position safety that allows unloading a live round from chamber while still blocking firingpin.
The Wisner and it's shroud was machined by another fella, and I installed it on a Turk Mauser chambered in 6.506, it still needs some smoothing out because it lifts cocking piece back a tad far, which isn't necessary.
The PTG cost 150.00 I believe and the Wisner was around 75.00.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have handled post 64 M70s with sticky safeties, but on every pre 64 M70 I have handled the safety was smooth.

Last edited by Jericho; 04/14/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anything one can do to smooth up a post 64 three position safety?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ask Don if he has an IQ past 73, that will get him wondering.

"When the argument is lost insults become the tool of the loser."
Socrates

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Ask Don if he has an IQ past 73, that will get him wondering.

"When the argument is lost insults become the tool of the loser."
Socrates

Luckily, you ain't Socrates, just a dumbf&ck.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steelhead,

You remain on ignore because your rude, profane posts spoil this forum.

Most of us are here to enjoy talking about hunting or our guns. You reduce that enjoyment by your disgusting behavior. You could please try to improve.

Thank you

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob
How did this get new life after 8 years??? I have a few of the two position ones left and I use the best of the three position ones, the LaPour. Email me for info if interested: [email protected]

PM sent ......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Steelhead,

You remain on ignore because your rude, profane posts spoil this forum.

Most of us are here to enjoy talking about hunting or our guns. You reduce that enjoyment by your disgusting behavior. You could please try to improve.

Thank you

Then how to you know what I typed you dumbphuck?

Dumb Don, it's time to start pushing daisy's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I run 2 position side swing safeties on 98's, not sure what the bloody attraction to 3 position is.

+ 1

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one.
My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

Hope nobody thinks that is the going rate. Currently Gentry safety costs pretty close to $200. And we all know gunsmithing time is free.

How about you charge what you want and let others charge what they want?......probably best if you just tell CF readers your price.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Starman
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one.
My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

How about you charge what you want and let others charge what they want?......probably best if you just tell CF readers your price.

I stand by my comment.
On Brownells,retail price is now $279. Dealer is north of $260.+gotta pay for shipping. Do you really think people reading this thread should be able to find a gunsmith to sell and install one for $175?

Not at current prices.
Again, I stand by my post.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Starman

I stand by my comment.
On Brownells,retail price is now $279. Dealer is north of $260.+gotta pay for shipping. Do you really think people reading this thread should be able to find a gunsmith to sell and install one for $175?

Not at current prices.
Again, I stand by my post.

Kinda like the guys that come into my shop. After whining a lot, they say they would do it their self, but don't have the right tools,SURE!! I have a good plumber, electrician, and carpenter. They do great work and I don't whine about.
A Gantry safety?? Not on my rifles!

Last edited by butchlambert1; 08/09/18.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.