Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ask Don if he has an IQ past 73, that will get him wondering.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
His age and IQ go up at the same rate... Another 20 years and he'll break 100.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are a lot of keyboard experts here. Listen to what Terry says, he does have the experience.
Butch

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Costs will run you about $50 to $75 for installation...You can buy them from Brownells..They run $109 wholesale last I checked..

Add to TCIs post that when the u notch is cut in the cocking piece, many smiths do not reharden the notch, and they have cut through the case hardening..heat in cherry red and quinch it then polish it..that will add greatly to the smoothness of the 3 pos. safety. You can get a pretty nice feeling safety by simply following the directions and cutting the angles correctly.

Last edited by atkinson; 04/12/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them.

+1

I put Dakotas on 2 that I've built with perfect results & performance; also never had a problem on a factory Dakota or Winchester.

The Dakotas do need a mill & a little machining capability to put on, but once they are done right there's no problem.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SUPERCUB,

My lone FN, which came with the ubiqutous two position side swing safety now has a Gentry and I could not be more pleased with it. I did have a GOOD gunsmith, the same guy Ross Seyfried uses, install it (Jim Rector in LaGrande Oregon) so this is probably why the excellent results. My other conversion is my CZ550 with an Ed LaPour Safety but, again the installation was done by Ed LaPour himself so it is right X 10. This is on my serious DGR so I was needing to be sure it was done right.

+1, with enthusiasm, on the encouragement to get it done right by a good gunsmith whichever unit you buy. Good luck.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A two position side swing safety locks the bolt, but you can't work the action with the safety on. Don't see that as any big issue.

Maybe not to you.

I like 3 position safeties. I grew up with pre-64 model 70's.
I want my Mauser to work the same way.

No safety is a substitute for safe gun handling.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TC1
I've used most of them. Once installed there is very little difference in any of the 3-postion safeties other than looks. The installation is the determining factor as to how smooth it is. Most gunsmiths charge between $75-$100 to install one. As to which one to buy. My advice is to find a gunsmith first, then buy the safety he recommends. Some Smiths prefer to work with a particular brand more than others.

I've had more Dakota safeties installed than any other brand and have been very happy with them. The one Gentry I own has been perfect from day one. Gentry will also install what they sell.

I think the nicest looking one I've ever used was a Stuart Satterlee model. It holds the original lines of the M98 bolt shroud but still has a nice custom look to it.
[Linked Image]

Terry

Stu every time, makes a great safety. The only one I have now is a left sided one, and it's the bees knees.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A two position side swing safety locks the bolt, but you can't work the action with the safety on. Don't see that as any big issue.

Maybe not to you.

I like 3 position safeties. I grew up with pre-64 model 70's.
I want my Mauser to work the same way.

No safety is a substitute for safe gun handling.

Who the [bleep] else would I be talking about when giving my opinion, my Aunt Ethel's........

Guessing you drive the same car as your very first, cuzz Christ now's that's a tough transition also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
SUPERCUB,

My lone FN, which came with the ubiqutous two position side swing safety now has a Gentry and I could not be more pleased with it. I did have a GOOD gunsmith, the same guy Ross Seyfried uses, install it (Jim Rector in LaGrande Oregon) so this is probably why the excellent results. My other conversion is my CZ550 with an Ed LaPour Safety but, again the installation was done by Ed LaPour himself so it is right X 10. This is on my serious DGR so I was needing to be sure it was done right.

+1, with enthusiasm, on the encouragement to get it done right by a good gunsmith whichever unit you buy. Good luck.

Thanks ....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are most welcome.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Gentry on a mauser that is a little sticky. I also have an Ed Lapour on a Springfield that is like grease. Smooth and easy. The last Mauser I did also got a Lapour. It is also very nice.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
R
R
I have a Vz 24 I’m needing to get a 2 position safety for. I can be contacted at 918 521-1899 or if anyone has a contact number for anyone that does it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did this get new life after 8 years??? I have a few of the two position ones left and I use the best of the three position ones, the LaPour. Email me for info if interested: Jkob60msn.com

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one. My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My smith put the Dakota safety on my 7x57. Works like a charm, and looks great.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used several of the Dakota versions, but the LaPour is excellent as well.

Never used the Gentry but they fine from the ones I've seen.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mudhen
I specified a three position safety on a custom Interarms Mark X Mauser build a couple of years ago, but did not specify which one. My gunsmith used the Gentry safety, and charged me $175 for the safety and installation. I really like it.

Hope nobody thinks that is the going rate. Currently Gentry safety costs pretty close to $200. And we all know gunsmithing time is free.
Does your gunsmith do this for a living?

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the timing issue of the Gentry's that keeps popping up, it is too risky and too expensive to go with a them when you can go first class with Ed Lapour's.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Has the problem with the Gentry safeties always been there? I ask because of having three on Mauser-actioned rifles, with never a problem, but mine were all made and installed by Dave himself. He passed away a little over a decade ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
153 members (160user, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.