Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
i was in Louisville this weekend and picked up a bottle of Butch's Bore Shine at Bass Pro Shop. It says that patches are all that is needed. Has anyone used this? How does it work?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have used it for about 10 years. I really like it but I still brush my rifle barrels also. I will say if you push three wet patches through the bore it starts to look clean but I still have brush them.

Dink

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Try wipe out, you may never use butches again..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gave it up years ago. I use Wipe-out or if time doesn't allow I use Bore Tech Eliminator.

MtnHtr

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Used Butches for years for the regular cleanings. Patch out with accelerator for down to the metal cleanings. You still need a brush with Butches to get the powder and carbon out but after that wet patches beat down the copper just fine.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
IC B2

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've heard good things about Wipeout but I still use liquids because I've accumulated a pretty good supply. Butches is one of my favorites because it does a nice job on mild copper fouling as well as powder fouling. For heavy copper I still go to the Barnes CR-10 though because it is much quicker (but the powder fouling must still be removed first). I've found that I don't need to use brushes anymore either if I just allow the solvent to work chemically for a few minutes before pushing it out with a fresh patch. Now a bore that hasn't been cleaned in a while is a different story. By the way, I keep a small AAA flashlight on my cleaning bench and periodically check the bore during the cleaning process to see where we are copper wise.
Lots of opinions on cleaning products and methods out there, this is just my $.02.
Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been using it for some years now. No complaints here.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it for quite a few years. I use it with patches only - I don't brush out my rifle barrels. Over the last 5 years, I use it and wipeout. I'll run a couple of wet patches with bbs thru the bore to get the big stuff out, apply wipeout and later on a couple more patches of bbs. Seems to work. I finish with Kroil...

Regards,

Tom
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Not to start a fire fight but you guys that don't use brushes at some point when cleaning with Butches have tried using a brush after it looked clean and seen what comes out???

Wipeout specifically says clean powder and fouling out first before using Wipeout. Patchout claims no brushes needed but again it seems to work better if you clean normally first then use Patchout with the accelerator. No doubt the stuff cleans down to the bare metal and it often takes 10 shots to settle the barrel back down.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using it for years almost when it first came out, I think in the mid 90's. I use it with Nylon brushes only, then patch out. Testing it and all the others available at the time, and inspecting barrels with a bore scope, it was by far the best and fastest with the least amount of effort. Twenty passes with soaked Nylon brush adding solvent at the muzzle on the tenth pass, then let it sit a few minutes, patch out the gunk, another pass with a damp patch and your done. Never compared it against Wipe Out but when I tried it right after it came out it was just too messy for me. Prefer Butch's.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Butches for a couple years then tried Wipe-Out and now use Patch-Out pretty much exclusively on my rifles.
Butches still is my 1st choice for handguns though and I found it works great on carbon and will remove slight copper fouling too. Brushing is needed with Butches IMO though.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd use Butch's if nothing else was available.

After using most of the solvents on the market, these days I prefer a mixture of Shooter's Choice and Kroil (about 75/25 SC to Kroil) for powder fouling and Wipeout or Montana Extreme 50BMG for copper.

Weiners are health food - My dad
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What amazes me is how someone can use Butches for that many years and think its a good product..I see Butches as about the same as using distilled water! smile You get clean patches because it doesn't work not because it does!!

I like Wipe Out, Blue Goop that I mix, Barnes CR-10, and Hoppes for powder residue..and profusly oil the bore.

Last edited by atkinson; 04/14/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray~
If you notice, I DO have a bore scope and I DID compare the cleaning against all available a the time. Butch's quickly became the norm for the benchrest crowd as well but I don't know what they use now. I'll be happy to let you inspect any of my barrels after I clean them. You won't find one speck of copper anywhere and it's virtually effortless. It's not as strong as Montana Extreme, granted, and maybe not quite as good as that Barnes stuff, but it's not as messy as Wipe Out and far better than Shooter's Choice and not as involved and time consuming as Sweet's. Not much to dislike if you would care to do some actual comparisons. I did, head to head. So, you don't know what you're talking about!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like & use Butch's, but it doesn't really do much for any serious level of copper fouling.

Today, I use Ultra Bore Coat & that makes life a lot easier no matter what solvent you use.

KG-12 is a great copper remover with no odor, FWIW.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can you leave Butch's to soak for an extended period of time without having your barrel melt away?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. After my initial scrub I'll leave it in there for whatever time it takes to do other chores, such as reloading. I've left it in there for as long as overnight, but too much evaporates over that length of time so about 3 hours is max so that when the first dry patch goes through and comes out soacked. The secret, if any, is to use nylon brushes, the bronze brushes only last a couple of cleanings and they're eaten up by the "distilled water".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BBS is a good bore cleaner. I've used it for years. I've gotta try that Wipe Out stuff though...

μολὼν λαβέ
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ray, It might amaze you that I think Butch's is good stuff but if you would use it you might change your mind.

You know what amazes me is that someone claims a bunch of huge muledeer are killed every year on the ranches that he books for but can't post a single picture....That amazes me.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Butch's all the time. It works better than any of the other solvents IMHO. I only tried one of the foam cleaners and it was junk.

I use IOSSO Bore Paste on a patch wrapped around a Nylon brush and it gets rid of all copper and the carbon ring in 50 strokes, about 5 minutes. Then I patch out with Butch's. When I have the time, I just let the barrel soak with Butch's.

I tried KG12 and so far, was unimpressed. And it Stinks to high heaven! Not an ammonia stink, just stench! I haven't given up on it just yet though. The borescope doesn't lie. Get some IOSSO.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.