Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice looking stoves Dave. How dow they work??

GB1

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Dave,

Ecellent! Very well done.

What is the size of the larger stove?

Ed T

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ed's general design is really a winner. The large stove is 8" diam. by 10" deep, so ~ 10*3*16 = 480 cu. in. It was a wastebasket from Bed, Bath, Beyond $26? All up, it weighs 3.5 lb. but there's no way you need to use bolts as big as I used, they're 0.5 lb. I haven't burned this one yet. It has a 3" pipe and uses my TiGoat collar.

The small stove is exactly to Ed's specs, a storage can from Bed, Bath, Beyond. $12. The little SnowPeak kettle with 20 oz. water came to a rolling boil in about 15'.

The smaller collar was made from some galvanized sheet I had laying around. You can see how white and crusty it looks. It is definitely sacrificial and will need to be replaced. I just rolled a rectangular piece into a cylinder and gauged it by putting it into the stove hole, then clamped it and marked holes for a couple rivets and where the damper lever goes through. I bet if you had a punch, that would be cleaner than drilling the holes.

Then, you rivet the cylinder and use it as a template to trace the circular damper plate. Rather than explain all that, I'll get a picture up in a bit. My damper lever is like on a big house woodstove. It has that wavy part in the middle of the lever to lock it into the plate. TiGoat uses a straight lever with a washer welded onto it. I'd do that but I cannot weld.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huskyrunnr; 03/22/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well done David, and somehow I just get a chuckle thinking of you cruising the Bed, Bath and Beyond store for stove makings!

very well done on both counts the manufacture and the scrounging. (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hah, you got that right Randy! You shoulda seen the look the cashier lady gave me when I asked her where the kitchen magnets were so I could check the stainless canisters I was dragging around the store.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huskyrunnr
You shoulda seen the look the cashier lady gave me when I asked her where the kitchen magnets were so I could check the stainless canisters I was dragging around the store.

I know that look.
That look is probably the same one I received at the beauty supply store when I had to explain that the hydrogen peroxide paste I was looking for was for bleaching my elk skull.
They all stayed away from me in there after that. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huskyrunnr.

Nice job. Over the summer I am going to work on some new stoves but in a month trout season starts so yea know how that goes.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bitt, beat of a different drum, enit?

Woods, priorities! I'll be keeping an eye out for any creations you come up with, so please post 'em. I too gotta get the outrigger canoe in shape for bass season here. Almost done making a 600 lb. displacement float (ama) for it so we can sleep on the trampoline on the water.

I don't much care for working metal, but working fiberglass and epoxy resin has got to be the worst.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Silly questions:
-what kind of hinge on the door and how did you mount it? Can't tell from the pics.
-how do you feed the sticks in? open the door or through the holes?

I'm about done except for hinge and faulty rivet tool, I'm assuming you use steel rivets not aluminum?
thx

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Tom,

It is a lightweight stainless hinge. They come in 6' sections and then are cut to length. I left a flange of sorts on the bottom of the door to achieve the correct clearance.

The rivet are stainless, but steel would work OK.

Sticks go in thru the door.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is the stove I have been looking for, and you started this thread on my Birthday even. Very cool design. I want to put one of these in my SL 5.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Hardcore,

The Mini-Cylinder is a cool little stove, but I don't think it would heat an SL 5. Somthing along the lines of a Kifaru Small or Medium would be my choice for that tent.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ed, how do you think the little cylinder stove would do in a Golite SL3 compared to a Parastove?

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
The mini-cylinder is close to a Para stove in heat output and I used a Para quite a bit when I had a Hex 3 which is basicly the same as the SL 3. I would say you would be OK to 0-5 degrees F.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks Ed, I think I'll try an SL3. I scaled the dimensions out with chalk in my driveway and got a couple of sleeping bags and the stove out there (the neighboors already know I'm strange). Not a lot of extra room for two but it looks adequate. Certainly a palace for one.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I got to make myself one of these.
Thanks, Ed T

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.