Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4011011 04/19/10
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Does anyone here have any ideas on how I could scope a Browning B92. It is a top eject like the Winchester 94 but I cannot find a side mount for it anywhere. I've talked to a couple of gunsmiths who said they don't think a side mount for a Winchester 94 or 1892 could be adapted. I've called Browning. I tried Weaver, BSquare, Leupold, no help. My eyes just won't let me shoot out to 100 yards without a scope any more. Any help appreciated.

NRA Benefactor - Patron - Endowment - Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That Browning 92 is too nice a gun to cobble up like that. You might consider just getting a different gun that you can scope and use it instead. Save the Browning for closer shots you can see.

One thing we seem to forget as we acquire guns, they will be around long after we are gone and they need more consideration about what they are and what they were made to do.

If you like the 92 and want go ahead and scope one, get a Rossi and scope the heck out of it, but please leave the Browning alone. I would even be interested in trading you a Rossi for the Browning if you want to proceed with your quest.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Marlin which is scoped. But the B92 is the most accurate 44Mag I've ever seen. At 50 yards I can still group an inch. Which isn't bad for 44 Mag.

Others had talked me out of scoping it but then one fellow said to me "What use is the gun if you can't enjoy it?" Are you saving it for someone else to enjoy? If you are keeping it only for the resale value then you are not enjoying it and you might as well get rid of it." So I'm exploring the possiblity again.

Some people drill and tap for peep sights and most see nothing wrong with that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some people might even put a mustache on the Mona Lisa if they owned it, but that doesn't make it right. You can do what ever you like, but the Browning shoots so well at 50 yards, use it for what you can and get something else that is suited for optics.

There is a reason there aren't provisions for a scope on that rifle. You have already mentioned the top eject isn't compatable with a scope. You are trying to make a sow's ear from a silk purse, don't do that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"Some people drill and tap for peep sights and most see nothing wrong with that."

Exactly.

A rear reciever sight like a Williams or Lyman will not affect the looks or handling like adding a side mounted scope would. Which is why most folks don't have any problem with that.. The scope will ruin the resale value as well.

What is the point of taking a beautiful little 5.5LB lever carbine and making it feel and handle like a bulky bolt gun with a scope?

One other thing, the stocks on the B-92 are not exactly desgined for a scope use either..

IMHO, if you can shoot groups that tight with the B-92 and the factory iron sights you are answering your own question.

Unless you are going to use the B92 for 200 yard Prairie dog shots or enter the gun in a benchrest match ,I would put a good receiver sight on it. You might put a finer bead or blade sight on the front as well.

Last edited by jim62; 04/20/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jim62
"Some people drill and tap for peep sights and most see nothing wrong with that."

Exactly.

A rear reciever sight like a Williams or Lyman will not affect the looks or handling like adding a side mounted scope would. Which is why most folks don't have any problme with that.. The scope will ruin the resale value as well.

What is the point of taking a beautiful little 5.5LB lever carbine and making it feel and handle like a bulky bolt gun with a scope?

One other thing, the stocks on the B-92 are not exactly desgined for a scope use either..

IMHO, if you can shoot groups that tight with the B-92 and the factory iron sights you are answering your own question.

Unless you are going to use the B92 for 200 yard Prairie dog shots or enter the gun in a benchrest match ,I would put a good receiver sight on it. You might put a finer bead or blade sight on the front as well.
Best advice yet!!!

W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
There are two problem with a receiver sight
1) it requires the front sight to be altered. Or at least that is what I was told when I called Williams. And what my gunsmith says. The front sight on the Browning is neither pinned in nor does it use a groove. It is soldered in place. It seems to me as great a travesty to break that solder or to modify the front sight as to drill and tap the receiver.
2) after I've done the receiver and the front sight what happens if I still can't shoot it well?

I regularly shoot my scoped rifles at 200-300 yards. Of course they are not 44 Mag and I know 44 Mag is not an accurate 200 yard round. But I would like to be able to maximize the capablities of the gun. Otherwise I may as well just sell it. I'm half convinced to do that now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How much would you want for the Browning?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
W,

You need to go back and read the reponses here again.. You are missing several facts here.

First of all, as far as the "adequacy" of any peep sight. If you can TRULY shoot 1" groups with that rifle at 50 yards with the factory iron sight, -YOU HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION..

I have never heard of anyone who cannot shoot rear aperture sight better than open sights as long as the aperture size is large enough. The peep will be BOTH faster and moe accurate for most shooters. If you can shoot the factory irons that well, the peep will be even better.

Now, about the "travesty" of drilling the reciver for a peep sight..

HOW do you think you will get a side mounted scope on that rifle? With Duct tape? No- you are going to drill 2-4 holes in locations that serve NO other purpose than to put on a side mount. And, they will be bigger holes than for a peep sight. And, if you ever take that ugly looking side mounted scope off someday, the rifle will look like a block of swiss cheeze.

Most lever gun buyers would not mind two holes drilled in the side of a lever gun for a proper peep sight. That is becuase most lever gun buyers usually get around to putting a rear peep on any top ejecting lever gun to begin with. It certainly does not drop the value on a replica like the B92 if done properly. But most of folks WOULD holler like mashed cats if they saw the left side of that reciever with holes for a side mount.

The last point is,unless your gun shoots high right now with the lowest eleveator setting on the rear sight,I simply do not agree with your take on the receiver sights. They CAN be mounted low enough to hug the top of the action pretty closely. The center of the aperture should be able to be place right wehre you need it.

With most loads, I sincerely doubt yuou will need to do anything with the front sight if the reciver sight is mounted by anyone who really knows what they are doing. If you do need a higher front sight blade, here is how to do it. The orional m92 rifles had the same basic base design as the Brownings do, only the front sight blade was fitted into a slot in the base and pinned in.

Any decently talented gunsmtih could replicate the orgional Winchester setup without removing the orgional sight on the barrel. They could the actual blade and then mill a slot in the front base on a mill or simply cut a slot with a Screw slotting file by hand. Either way, you could put a higher front sight on it to the correct size.

And not "put a mustache on the Mona Lisa"... wink

Last edited by jim62; 04/20/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
What I had been trying to figure out is a way to either adapt a side mount for a Winchester 1892 or 1894 to the B92. I was thinking I could get an aluminum side mount. TIG weld over the holes and redrill holes to match the existing holes in the receiver. Use enlongated screws and avoid any drilling and tapping. If I can't use a Winchester side mount then get a machinist to build a suitable copy adapted to the B92. Using either my 2x7 Leupold or an even lighter Leupold compact (wieght 8-11 ounces) shouldn't affect the handling that much.

Now I have to admit I've never shot a tang sight or peep sight. (other than on my AR which I don't like) If I can find someone here near Houston perhaps I can give it a try. I belong to the Texas Hunting Forum so I can post there to see if anyone has one.

But still if I can adapt or make a side mount without drilling and tapping the thought intrigues me.

IC B3

W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel
How much would you want for the Browning?

I hadn't really thought about selling the B92. I have no idea what it is worth. It shoots and handles beautifully but its been used. So the wood has some scratches.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Williams peep sight on my Browning B92 and have been very happy with it. My eyes are nearly 59 years old and don't work like they did even a few years ago. I'm putting peep sights on more of my woods rifles, like a Remington 14 in 35 Remington, and still shooting them out to 100 to 125 yards with no problem.

Harry
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Did you have to modify the front sight? Williams told me I would have to do so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. But it wasn't a problem. The gunsmith just slotted the base and pinned in a taller sight. It looks like it belongs on the rifle. I did a Browning 86 SRC the same way. I put a receiver sight on it and needed the taller front sight, so I slotted the base and pinned a piece of a silver coin in place. When I saw how the 92 was done I did the 86 my self. It works great and looks like a period sight.

Harry
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Do you happen to have the Williams model number? Or a picture perhaps if no number? Thanks

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
BCP..

That bottom pic should be renamed "something stupid"

Last edited by jim62; 04/21/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will try to get a model number tomorrow. The rifle is at my shop. I'll try to take a picture of it too.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either a Williams FP-94 or a 5D-94 receiver peep sight will fit a B92 properly.

OR

You could mount a tang peep sight, like I did on this B92, and use the issue front sight.

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
BCP thanks for the websites. I called the the possibleshop and the scope manufacturer. Really nice people. They didn't have anything to help me but I was amazed at the number of those scopes they sell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.