Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
What reception is the Krieghoff Semprio getting from European shooting enthusiasts? Interesting reinvention of the pump type action.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my friends has one, very nice rifle but I personnaly have two problems with it:

1.The pump action doesn't allow quick follow up when stalking and shooting from a shooting stick or a high stand rest. It is mostly a driven hunt rifle.

2. According to the gunsmith that sold it, the gun owner has to replace some part of the mechanism every 200 shots (but it is for free). From what I did read from the Internet I thought it was every 2000 shots but they said 200 to my friend. It seems that deteriorating part is linked to the bolt's sealing performance.

The rear to forward pump motion, pushing the sight away from the shooter, doesn't seem so bad to me, I found it allowed to easily re-align the game with good management of the recoil.

The take down and mount up routine is very easy and quick.

My friend's rifle is the only one I ever saw on hunting grounds and shooting ranges.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just my impression -

Krieghoff Semprio, reinvention of the pump
Blaser 93, Blaser R8, variations of the straight pull sceme
Merkel Helix, spin on the straight pull

Mainly build for and well received by the hobbiests hunters - sold on the next best thing.

It never ends:

Now we are told, we need a straight pull with a illuminated reticle that is acctivated when cocking the rifle.

Or you need the ability to switch the illuminated section from a cross (stationary targets) to a dot (for moving game).

But I digress ...

Profiled products, I call them. Trouble is, knowledgeable hunters mainly are to much a minority and to poor to make up a big enough market share to convince the industry guys that we do not need the rifle "for the next century (Helix marketing" just for an example.

To your question?

They are well received - they sell a bunch.

Sorry for the rant.

In case it has not become clear - I much prefer to see a hunter show up with a battlescared 98 or so...

Last edited by cmg; 04/22/10. Reason: Sorry - harsher than intended

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True ...

And too usual among hunters to consider 2000 euros is a minimal price for a basic rifle without a scope (which has to cost 2000 more), and indeed you have to change it every 4 years (probably to suit the new range rover grin ). At least in Belgium ...

Last edited by grand_veneur; 04/22/10.

Va t'in tch�re !
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
How is a consistent point of impact maintained with the sliding barrel of the Semprio? The elaborate mechanics seem to go against everything that is generally thought necessary regarding achieving a predictable POI. Perhaps Krieghoff has developed a novel way?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering POI consistency, I don't know what can make the difference between a bolt sliding into a barrel and a barrel sliding over a bolt, or both of them.

I saw it only in driven hunts and "running boar" target shooting contexts, which involve shots on running targets at short range. POI consistency is less important in that context.

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have only handled and dried fired but what bothered me was at the moment the triger is pressed the slide moves. I am not sure I could get used to it.

P
P
Well This is truly something different.

This must be the most complete hunting gun I have ever tried. I do also own Blaser R8, Steyr Scout, Rem 700 , Benelli Argo R1 and some other bolts but nothing gets even close to the semprio.

Its just a shooting machine. The inline action works great, you are able to fire four rounds very fast (less than 2 sec) with full target control and with a detachable magazine and "real" take down you can hardly ask for more.

The one I tried (150 rounds) had a suppressor on it. made fast target acqusition very easy and I did shoot faster than with my Argo R1 due to less recoil.

For field use I dont think it could be better.

Paal

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Carbon,

I'm right with Karl about all the innovations, even if i hunted with some of them as a writer and tester.
I'm known in France not to like the R93, prefer the R8 for safety reasons (don't say i like it)and to have done lots of shooting and hunting with the Helix for 18 months. Had very good results with it and like it but don't own one even if i can get good price.

The Semprio never caught on me...even if Krieghoff name is on..
Must not be the only one because sales are starving in France where Blaser R93 was and always is a best seller and where Helix had good start.

If i need to be real fast on big boars or stags go to a semi (no, not a 7400 or 750)in 9,3x62 but i don't own any too...

My go to rifles when hunting on my own are Mauser actioned or Steyr, Winch 70 pre 64, some Rem 700, one 7600 carbine 35 Whelen and for sure levers from 94 to 95 with 71 and 86 in between.I prefer to change rifle than barrel, call me loony if you want but he works well for me.

But i'm also known to be a dinosaure going to an end...

Regards
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by PaalDalen

Its just a shooting machine. The inline action works great, you are able to fire four rounds very fast (less than 2 sec) with full target control and with a detachable magazine and "real" take down you can hardly ask for more.

Well, who needs a rifle that you still have to manually operate for this? Just get an AR-10 style rifle or an MR308.

All those overengineered rifles from Germany like R93, R8 etc. suck.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi gebuesch, if i remember well MR308 is an over engineered german rifle wink

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
P
P
After doing some shooting with the Semprio I start thinking "Why the bolt" ?

The bolt action has been with us for a little more than 100 years and maybe its time to move on.?

I have owned a Remington 700 for more than 25 years (my first gun) and it still shoots good but things have changed.

The Steyr Scout( like it), the Blaser R8 (dont say I like it) are good guns but the Semprio makes them a laugh when it comes to fast shooting on moving targets.

The Argo is nice but cant handle a suppressor and you have problems getting 5 rounds within 50mm on 100 meters. The Semprio puts them inside 15mm.

There is only one small thing I did not like. The hand grip is large and I have very small hands. This is probably due to the steering rail that keeps the fore end in right position when moving back and forth. This rail goes through the stock all the way back to the recoil pad. A synthetic version might be with a smaller handgrip.

Give it a good try if possible. Its new and you need some time to get adjusted to it but when you are you will probably start thinking "why the bolt?"

wr
Paal Dalen

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Paal,

I can't feel good with this rifle, the same as with 93. If i want being fast without going semi auto i go to pump, my 7600 stay well inside 1,5moa if i do my part with good ammo, the new french Verney Carron the same (they don't call it pump but linear front drive, pure marketing). I don't know about all Argos but i shot some that stood inside 1,5moa with factory ammo, the same with all other semi i shot or tested, enough for driven hunt or 200m shooting.
Most BAR with steel receivers do as good as most bolt out of the box.
But if you are good with a Semprio, shooting it well and like the system, enjoy it! That's your rifle and not mine. Better use something you like and manage well than one that was told you is better by another guy. Confidence is the key.
Have good hunt.
Dom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paal, do you have information about that part which must be replaced regularly, sort of a bolt-action joint ?

Va t'in tch�re !
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Marseille

Hi gebuesch, if i remember well MR308 is an over engineered german rifle wink

It�s German, but it is not overengineered with useless stuff like mounts that can by only used on rifles of specific companies, the trigger is not mixed up with a horribly expensive magazine and the rifle works instead of overengineered designs that you already damage when you handle them at the IWA.

Last edited by gebuesch1; 09/24/11.
P
P
I do not have any exact information about malfunction with the first Semprios on the marked. There was some returns here in Norway but I have never found out exactly why. Been asking but got no reply from the dealer.

The Semprio I have been shooting with have done at least 2000 rounds now with all kinds of loads with no problems at all. its a 30-06. It appears rock solid so far.

I do think there is a small change to this new model from the first ones. The forend moves about 5mm forwards and is attached with some kind of spring to the barrel.
This makes some extra "start pull" when reloading. Dont know if this is understandable?

Hard not to like the Semprio . When repeating your left arm moves forward and your right shoulder backwards automatically from the recoil.
On the 7600 regular pump you have to wait until recoil is "finished" before moving the foreend backwards. This is slower and not as smooth as the Semprio.

A good gun makes you smile when using it. The semprio gets out the smile in every one I have tried it with.

wr
Paal Dalen

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Your right, one of my friend blocked the Semprio in the Krieghoff booth last year. Were unable to make it works so they put it behind the counter.
For the MR308 was joking, but i don't really like that picatinny forearm, what's for on a civil rifle? Don't need lights, laser, to hunt or shoot target...

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I do not like that many pic rails either. But instead of a MR308 there also several other AR-10 style rifles like OA-10 or R-25 available. If I want to have a fast repeating firearm I get a semi automatic. If I want a very reliable and accurate firearm I choose a bolt action. All those new "inventions" are for marketing purposes.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You're right about that. I have chance to work a bit in the firearm business, i can shoot and test some interesting pieces of iron and i did it with the Oberland and MR308. But for me they are more military rifles in "civilian" dress, more to target shooting than hunting.
And in France you know, for hunting with semi auto we have the silly magazine (!) and three shots max...
So i prefer the BAR, SLB, SR1 for that purpose. But i don't own one the only semi i use for hunting is my very old Ruger 44, loaded with 250grs Nolser Partition or 270grs Gold Dot to hunt wild boars and red deer in very personal and close encounter, when time to shoot is as short as the distances and bush too thick to carry long and heavy gun...It do the job done.

P
P
There are some semis you are allowed to use for hunting here in Norway. THey have to be approved by the Government and "military style" semis are not allowed at all. After 22.7.2011 they talk about not allowing any semis at all.

Suppressors are getting very popular in Norway. Not many hunting without one now.
You shoot even faster with a suppressor on the Semprio and its a loss that the semis doesnt work with a suppressor.

If you are doing close range shooting on a moose with dogs working round it you destroy their hearing without a suppressor.

Paal Dalen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
547 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.