Print Thread
Hop To
E
Edod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Am interested in a low power rugged scope for a Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in .375 H&H for a Cape Buffalo hunt. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions between the NightForce 1-4x24 NXS and the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T? The price on the Nightforce is higher than I would really like, but if it is a much better scope, I may be tempted. Suggestions for other scope choices also welcomed.

Thanks in advance

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Weaver has a new DANGEROUS GAME SCOPE with a heavy plex reticle (etched) in the 1-4x24 model. I believe they are about $500.00 though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i can't compare the two, but i have the MK4 1.5-5 on my .375 AI right now. i already had this scope on hand and i would probably swap it out for the VX-3 1.5-5 or 2.5X Compact if i had the choice.

two things make me a little uncomfortable with the MK4 1.5-5 on a DGR. first, the exposed elevation/windage knobs (even though these are short) may get bumped off zero during any number of manuvers. i run turrets on a lot of rifles and see the versatility, but i'm thinking the need for them just isn't there on a DGR.
and second, this scope was designed for the .223 battle rifles, so i don't know if heavy recoil was taken into account when building these. probably, but i still wonder. my MK4 has been on my Steyr .376 and my .375 AI it's whole life and so far all is well.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
People will also turn those knobs!

I have used low-power variables from Leup., Swarovski and Kahles (the only 30 mm tube scope of the lot), as well as the 3-9X40 Trijicon. They all worked well for my hunts (I used the Trijicon for the cat hunts).

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by nuguy
Weaver has a new DANGEROUS GAME SCOPE with a heavy plex reticle (etched) in the 1-4x24 model. I believe they are about $500.00 though.

sounds interesting. do you have a link? i couldn't find anything about it...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call Leupold and tell them you want an FX II 3X with a German #1 reticle. (I know they're not out yet, but they are coming ever closer and there is no reason not to pressure them grin.)

I used an M8 3X on my .404 Jeffery on Cape buffalo and a couple of culls, and found it worked exceptionally well. I shot the Cape buff at about 50 ft; the two antelope at 125 yards. Worked like a charm both ways.

Some things need less to work better...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
you will probably laugh at this but I bought a .375 MarkX from Luv2Safari here on the fire and it came with a K3 Weaver. I thought "before I put a "real" scope on it, I will shoot it some." Man, that little Weaver is great and I am amazed at how accurate it is at 100yds. Get the Swaro if you like but....I sure like this scope alot and I get the feeling that it is bullet proof.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are people here who will laugh at you, but I am not one of them smile. I have a K3 Weaver, it's essentially the only scope other than a Leupold that I would consider hunting with. At some point I'll have the right rifle, and will put the little K3 on it.

Nothing wrong with Weavers at all, so long as they were made in the USA. Only issue is that they are now a bit out of date, and FX/VX Leupolds are new and improved.

I'd keep shooting it as long as it keeps working... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by muledeer
Call Leupold and tell them you want an FX II 3X with a German #1 reticle. (I know they're not out yet, but they are coming ever closer and there is no reason not to pressure them grin.)

I used an M8 3X on my .404 Jeffery on Cape buffalo and a couple of culls, and found it worked exceptionally well. I shot the Cape buff at about 50 ft; the two antelope at 125 yards. Worked like a charm both ways.

Some things need less to work better...

Dennis

i'd like a 3X FXII very much. i agree, often less is more.

E
Edod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Thanks for all the suggestions. Am now leaning towards the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5. I think the concerns expressed about the exposed knobs on the MK 4 are good.
Any thoughts regarding reticules for the Leupold? They have the choice of Plex, Heavy Plex and German #4. Most of the other scopes I use, have the German #4 or equivalent but I have read that for dangerous game heavy plex is recommended. I would think that at the low mag of the 1.5-5 the bars in the German #4 would be fairly heavy and close together so they would serve similarly to the heavy plex. Any suggestions.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Personally, I prefer the #4 for a DG scope or even a dual purpose (DG/plainsgame) scope. For everything else, a standard duplex gets the nod.

To me, the heavy duplex isn't really "best" for anything.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have some favorite dangerous game scopes..The 3X Leupold is one of my all time favorites and it has certainly served me well on calibers up to an including the 416 Rem., beyond that only the 2.5 Leupold Compact will hold up to the recoil of the 458 Lott and up IMO....

Excellent varibles are the 1x4 Leupold, a great DG scope on a .375..The 1.5x5 Leupold is excellent also. I see no reason to pay all that extra money for scopes that are no better, and in fact may not be as good..I am sold on Leupold and base that on 60 years of using them.

I also have a neat little Leupold 2.5 Alaskan that I use on my 9.3x62 fwt. rifle..

I have never seen the need for heavy cross hairs under even the harshest of conditions such as Leopard at night..The standard duplex is just hard to beat IMO..I also don't want little red dots or any of that stuff that complicats my field of view.

Just the thoughts of an old curmudgeon but I have been there and back, I've climbed the mountain and I've seen the elephant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.