Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well its looking more and more like we are gonna be moving to central Texas in the near future,and I am curious about what deer leases are costing these days down there. Can some of you from Texas chime in on the acreage and average cost you are seeing these days. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Varies from a little to a hell of a lot. If you want to hunt in Central TX they are out there. A lot of the leases have a lot of stuff that go with them that don't really have to do with hunting.

There is public land in TX, just not much of it located in Central TX. But even narrowing it down to Central TX still leaves a lot of area.

What kind of work do you do? Best way to locate a place to hunt is word of mouth. Any place that gets advertised or listed somewhere normally gets another premium.

But if your goal is to hunt and go kill deer and not go out and try to shoot the biggest deer in TX it's not as expensive as a lot of people will make it out to be.

TXPW has a website that connects landowners with hunters for leases in every kind of way from day leases shoots to year round hunting leases with accomidations.

It's down right now however.

I live in East TX and either hunt on my own land or public land (either one of the 4 national forest or about 1 million acres you get access to for $48 per year), and I have a season lease outside San Angelo of 13,000 acres that has 10 hunters on it and I pay $1,250 per year for an entire family and that includes a place to stay, deer, turkey, and hogs. I really just hunt there to hunt with friends and turkeys since turkey hunting here in East TX is really limited.

Anytime other time I hunt in Central TX, West TX, or South TX it's normally from an invite.

Any other questions please feel free to ask. I'm sure someone from Central TX will chime in soon about what they pay etc....

TXPWD Lease info

Dont' forget TX has limited access draw hunts for some of it's WMA as well. PM for some info on those once you decide where you might move to and I can shoot you some good spots that odds are you can get drawn either the first or second year (and every other year after that) and have a chance on a 4 day hunt to kill some really ungodly deer. Not neccesarily where a lot of people think they are either.

Believe it or not there are places (I know shocking) where you can hunt for free on someones property or nearly free in Texas. People just don't talk about that and it doesn't make the outdoor channel.

But your best bet is to make friends, find out where they hunt...people you work with etc...Timber buyers and oil lease guys consistently shoot the biggest deer in TX for free I'm convincend, it's also where most of my invites come from.

Last edited by NathanL; 04/23/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link. It looks like we are either gonna end up in San Anton or the Killeen area, not 100% yet on either. I would be willing to drive a good ways to hunt, guess thats an Alaska thing, we drive the equivalent of an entire lower 48 state to hunt most of the time. Those links show some good promise, I joined one of the sites and it seems that from $1500-$2500 oughtta get a guy into a decent yearly lease, on a decent sized property.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
San Antonio and Killeen area has a large population of deer, and leases run about $1500 to $2500 and that would be group rates. A 4 day deer hunt can run you $2500 for a decent lodge and baited blinds on a non fenced ranch to as much as $5500 on average or more on a big fenced ranch with 180 plus bucks and 5 star accomodations. Lots of options out there, you need to carefully shop around once you get settled..Some real good hunting is available and its not all high fenced as some seem to think. You also have some real good Mule Deer in West Texas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm right down the road from Killeen. Several good Campfire guys around here.

If spending $2500 is in your budget, you'll be fine. You can spend a LOT more, but can do pretty good for a little less.

There's some big deer (to be had for free) in Nathan's part of the country and I can get there in 4-5 hours.

There's deer friggin everywhere around here. I and the boys have killed 9 or 10 in the last few years for free on little places. It's not terribly exciting to hunt 50 acres, but it's better than watching TV. If you do a little asking around you can probably find somewhere close to home, which is handy. I hunted a place for two years that I could hunt the first and last hour of daylight and still not miss any work.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with living in San Antonio is you are too close to the brush country. It can get pretty addictive just driving around watching that many big deer.

I have a video from the early 90's where I drove some public paved roads around Cotulla, TX for about 2 hours during the rut. Just on the freaking highway I think we counted over 30 deer over 125" and had a few bruisers that were really up there. I need to convert it over from tape. And that was pretty much going around the outside boundry of a ranch that was a day lease lol.

I've worked with a number of ranches in South Texas and it's a nice change of pace. Used to work with the Chaparosa, low fenced operation that was running center point irrigation for the natural brush. Crazy.

I've seen some monsters down there, killed some decent deer down there. Used to get opportunites out the wazoo when I was a biologist...having said that the biggest deer I've killed (actually the top 2) came off public land in East Texas...well one was on public land and the other jumped the fence from it onto my property 0.5 seconds before I hammered him. This last year my neighbor killed a 176" gross with sorta semi drop tines (they went back instead of down), I run a pretty intensive camera program and never caught a glimpse of him. Starting to really pull some big deer out of pineywoods now that we have antler restrictions.

A guy I went to college with killed a geniune non typical book deer on a lease he paid $300 for on a timber lease. He skipped school in the middle of the week, but then got caught when he wind up calling us at the college and we went down and took a seamen sample from it.

Just pointing out not all big deer or on big money leases or high fences. My friends dad shot a deer that neetted out 168" typical around Brownwood and he didn't pay a dime to shoot it.

I'm moving and I'm sure I will be giving up my lease around San Angelo. I'd have to ask but I'm guessing there is a list to get on however.

Last edited by NathanL; 04/23/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not far from Killeen either, about 18 miles. Let me know if you end up coming this way.

I've got a good lease in Llano, but we're all filled up. I'll keep an eye out. Llano county is an easy drive from SA or Killeen.

Bill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cub,

Why did you decide to move down to the lower 48?

San Antonio seems like a really nice town to me. They have a very low crime rate as compared to other big cities. A couple of guys in my reserve unit live there and really like it. The times I have been there I have always been impressed with how friendly everyone was. If you choose Killeen, you can probably hunt Fort Hood for free. You will have to put up with the military rules and area closures but it beats not hunting at all. I don't know what the rules are on Fort Hood for civilians being allowed to hunt, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. I saw lots of deer on Fort Hood when I was there in preparation for deploying to Iraq. In addition to lots of deer, Texas has Aoudads, Mulies, tons of hogs, Javelina, turkeys, good quail and pheasant hunting up in the panhandle and good waterfowl hunting in certain areas.

I live in Louisiana and see ads in the classified section for leases in texas on a regular basis. Lots of folks from LA go to TX to hunt. You might consider looking at www.louisianasportman.com for the occasional opportunity in Texas. Just go to the classifieds, then click on hunting and then click on clubs or leases.

Let us know where you end up.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 264guy
Cub,

Why did you decide to move down to the lower 48?

I know a lot of guys think that Alaska is some sort of hunters paradise, but it surely has its share fo downfalls. First off, everything up here is expensive, from food,merchandise,fuel,energy costs it all cost a hell of a lot more than living down there. The winters in the interior part of the state are downright brutal, even if the winter isn't as harsh as previous winters temperature wise, the lack of sunlight, lack of things to do,and the length of it wreaks havoc on the psyche. The hunting IMO has really gone downhill in the last 10 years. From reductions to available land per ANCSA, the increased number of hunters, and the cost to get anywhere to do anything, its just not what it once was. Lots of guys think there are trophy bou,moose,sheep and bears behind every tree, when in fact the numbers are really pretty skinny. The fishing has also really detereorated in the last 5 years pretty much statewide IMO, from lower numbers of fish to more restrictions to fishing em. Add all that up with the cold dark winters and the increased cost for everything, and its just not worth living up here anymore for me. Alaska has been fun, and I have accomplished many a things, and had some great adventures over the years, but its time to go back to normal year round living, for my family anyway. It will be bass fishing and deer hunting for me, just about year round you can do one or the other.....grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you end up Killeen you can hunt on Ft. Hood for about $100 a year. There is some public land(WMA's, State Parks) but the odds of getting deer permits aren't great but I have been drawn numerous times. If you're willing to shell out $800 - $5K you can get on a lease depending on what you want. The average price is somewhere around $1500 for the hill country and more if you go to the "golden triangle" of south Texas. You can also do day/weekend hunts for less but most of those are for does/management bucks.

Welcome to Texas. The summers are rough but nothing like the winters in Alaska.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I would be willing to drive a good ways to hunt, guess thats an Alaska thing, we drive the equivalent of an entire lower 48 state to hunt most of the time.

That would suck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mountain Home, Tx in Real county costs me $2500 annually for a 5000 acre Exotic game ranch.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
??? isn't Mountain Home in Kerr County, just outside Kerrville?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
AC
From what I know, 5-6 grand per gun is not unusual for whitetail, turkey and hogs on leased ranches where people don't want to feel crowded. Not allowed to take bucks under 10 point either.

stx
I don't know where the county line breaks but I think you are correct. I think it is 30 miles or so west.
Last time I was there the only building I saw identified as part of Mountain Home was a volunteer fire dept. garage. Maybe I missed downtown. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Go through it all the time when hunting with Bart, nice area.

All Alaska ain't that way, SE is the bestest part of the state. [bleep] that 50 below crap and hunting right outside the door.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$2500 buys a lot of beef and pork.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Texas is still one of my favorite states but like Alaska it aint what it used to be. Ever since the "Cult of The Whitetail" or whatever you want to call it things have gotten ridiculous here for hunting.

I used to have dozens of places to hunt for free and now I can't even find a lease that I would be comfortable on without taking out a second mortgage. The congestion and vanishing Rural areas are appalling. I have to drive 6-10 hours to get that big sky effect due to light and other pollution.

It is still a great place for the outdoors man but opportunities are limited. Fishing can be good but not like Alaska is/was.

My ideal would be a place here or in Montana and one in Alaska but not likely.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About $1500/$2000 for my leases.

stumpy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What ruined the prices with private land hunting in Texas in my view is corporate entertainment of executives.

If a ranch is in a big buck area, regular hunters have to compete with corporations as to who will pay the most to get the rancher's permission.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good leases can still be found for $1000-$1500, but you have to look for them.

We pay $1500 a gun, year around. Deer, hogs, turkeys, dove, quail, predators and the occasional (but rare) exotic. Got a two bedroom cabin with all the amenities. Llano county.

After we gave up our lease near Mertzon it took two years of hard looking before we found this one.

So they are out there you just have to be patient.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.