Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I really enjoy this topic. I always bought into the heavier the better b.s. up until about 4 years ago. Like someone else stated the correct arrow spine matched to the length of the arrow and the weight of the head is the key.
I have been shooting extremely light arrows 5.5 grains per inch at 29" with a 75 grain broadhead with a draw weight of 62 lbs.at 325 fps. I have taken my share of whitetails with this combination and never have I not got a complete pass thru.

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What you are referring to is finding the most appropriate arrow spine(stiffness) and foc(rest/balance point) which essentially ensures the fewest shaft oscillations and least sporadic arrow flight.

Because stiffer(overspined) arrows are better suited to accept higher levels of energy transfer generated by compound bows, overspined arrows perform/fly much more efficiently than underspined arrows. Given the information you provided, you are likely underspined but to know for sure, we would have to know exactly what arrow you are shooting.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it all depends on what you hunt. I have killed whitetails,turkey,black bear, moose, dall sheep,and caribou with a bow. None of the critters up here will duck or jump a shot. I shoot arrows that weigh well over 500 grains because I want penetratiion for Alaska animals, and my bow has a draw eight of about 72lbs. But I have to say that whitetails have done some crazy shiznit to me with a bow in hand. If I were hunting wiley whitetails, I would want the fastest and quietest bow/arrow combination that shot well. But for larger animals with bigger vital areas and not quite the cat like agility to avoid an arrow, penetration is key. We regularly shoot animals with a bow up here at or past 50 yards. A buddy whacked a Grizzly at 62 yards with an arrow that weighed near 600 grains and was being pushed by a 70+lb draw weight. Heavier arrows tend to stabilize (read buck the wind) better than lighter arrows , and also tend to be more forgiving. All depends on what your hunting me thinks.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed white tails are a soft fragile easily killed animal, much like a Kudu in Africa. However use the same kit on Wildebeest or Elk and you will learn in a hurry the difference in the weight VS speed decisions.

Of course there are people who have killed all kinds of game with light fast arrows, but that does not mean to me that it is a consistant killer as a heavier slower arrow.

One interesting thing I know for a fact is that under 30 yards the difference between a 335 grain arrow and a 440 grain arrow point of impact is not even worth the time to consider a change. If you're feelings about archery being a close range effort are like mine then you really have no need to use anything ultra light weight.

I frequently have a selection of arrows and points that range from 335-355-380-390-400-410-435-440 grains and the only single difference I know for sure is the sound of the shot. Every arrow I shoot under 380 grains causes such a loud release that they actually scare me as if something on my bow broke or came loose.

The 390-410 grain weight is so quiet and fly so well that its hard to find a really good reason to shoot anything lighter. The victory arrows are light and spined perfectly, but make a hella loud limb/cable noise when I release.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Arrow speed is overhyped. I shoot a 1991 Jennings Sonic XL. 60lbs, 29" draw, 425 gr. total weight arrow with 125 gr. Hypershock mechanicals and a pendulum sight and finger shoot. Brand new this bow shot 220 fps in 1991. Now? Probably under 200. But I kill deer every year with it. If you wait for your shot and don't take "if'y" shots because you don't want to wait, then it's your own fault if you lose the deer. My friend lost a nice 8 point last year because he thought the deer was gonna leave him no shot so he took a quartering toward shot into its shoulder. Never did find that deer. Shot placement and patience are everything.

Last edited by AndyG; 05/08/10.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
AndyG nailed it. Shot placement is everything. Arrow weight, speed, broadhead preference, ect is all tied for a very, very distant second place. Those things should fall into the "preference" category, while shot placement is a constant. You would have a tough time finding a bow/arrow/broadhead combination that wouldn't do the job, if the hunter did his/hers.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
+2 on AndyG! My first bow was a Bear Whitetail and second a Hoyt Ram. Deer died, period! I now have had Mathews, Bowtech, etc and they do help, but are more critical on form, arrow, etc. Problem is we want everything to be easier and push shots out further than MOST should. I still shoot fingers and think there is a balance between weight and speed. My confidence is in arrows 420-440 grs. 28.5 draw and 64-lbs. I shot through both shoulders on a yound bull with Magnus 2-blade, 29" 2315 and 62-lbs. Good luck!

Good Shooting!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
244 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.