Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Weaver scope with one of these - how does it work? The SCOPE says Weaver k2.5, the screw on BOOSTER has marks like 5-10-15-20

Person I got it from thinks that is the 'new' magnification, but that can't be right, can it? It is basically a lens in a screw-on housing, so those are just focusing adjustments, like on a standard scope AO, right?

Any idea as to history of the thing? It is pretty neat!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Litschert Power Boosters were made to convert lower magnification 3/4", 7/8", and 1" tube scopes to 6x or 8x "varmint" scopes.

I've never seen Litschert Power Booster/Converter that was more then 8x. I have a couple of scopes that have them installed and think that they were sort of an era specific "patch" that was more "sizzle" then "steak". The idea being that you could unscrew the objective housing on your Lyman Alaskan or Weaver K2.5, screw on the Litscher unit, and go varmint hunting with a higher magnification scope. I don't recall ever seeing a Litschert unit with an AO feature, but the 5-10-15-20 might correspondt to 50-100-150-200 yards. I have some that are NIB, but they are buried in the totes in the storage unit, so it wouldn't be easy to get to them and see what the instruction sheets would tell us.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Litchert that came off an old J C Higgins 22. It works good enough that I'd like to find a couple more to buy in the bigger sizes. Also looking for an Edwards in any size.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Litschert Power Boosters were made to convert lower magnification 3/4", 7/8", and 1" tube scopes to 6x or 8x "varmint" scopes. I have a couple of scopes that have them installed and think that they were sort of an era specific "patch" that was more "sizzle" then "steak". The idea being that you could unscrew the objective housing on your Lyman Alaskan or Weaver K2.5, screw on the Litscher unit, and go varmint hunting with a higher magnification scope.

Jeff

Jeff..

I disagree about the "patch" or "more sizzle than steak" comments.

You have to remember the era from which those power booster units came.

From about 1945 to 1955 there were VERY FEW light, affordable internal adjustment scopes that were over 4x. Also until the late 1950s, most scopes were not fogged proofed and nirogen filled. So really , adding the power booster was a convenient and viable conversion.

Increasing magnifaction by adding one of those untis to an existing scope was no more frivolous to a shooter of that time than a rifle owner of today replacing a wooden stock with a synthetic. It only improved the performance of the scope if the shooter could handle the higher magnification.

Basically, as the 1950s drew to a close, Weaver, Leupold and Redfield and Bushnell all had nice 6, 8 and 10x scopes on the market which made the power boosters pretty much obsolete.

Also, as scopes became fogged proofed and sealed, such owner installed conversions fell out of favor.

Last edited by jim62; 05/03/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 60 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.