-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
W
I like heavier bullets,kind of one shot one kill guy. Seeing a deer dying and crying ain't pretty. I had a box of Nosler Partition 30 220 gr in reloading cabinet. Everyone told me I need at least 1:10 twist on my 308 rifle to stabilize the bullets.
Well, hinting season is coming, so I loaded 40 rounds with different powder weight. I shot them on 100 meters from Sauer 202 with 26" barel and 1:11 twist. Shooting 10 sets of 3 through a MagnetoSpeed Chrony. To my surprise average group of the 10 sets was 0.56 MOA. Best group, 0.32 MOA came from a set loaded with 40.7 grains of IMR 4064 with Federal Match 210M primers at 2,328. Bullet depth 2.81".
Second best group, 0.38 MOA was from a set loaded with 38.7 grains of IMR 4064 at 2,235 f/s.
Will try at 300 yards tomorrow. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great necropsy reanimation! It is Alive! smile

Prompted me to PM Seafire for secret recipes.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bigsqueeze was a very angry person before he died.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM

How did he die and when? Thought he was hunter1960's good-natured doppelg�nger!

Faux Shaux!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by doubletap
Seafire,
You're using logic and experience to counter speculation and inexperience. Doesn't seem fair.

Yeah, I get accused of that often.. I have to cut that sort of crap out..

Not to contradict the gentleman who mentioned the Nosler Partition... although not as hard as many of the 200 grain bullets, it is harder than the standard 220 grain RNs..

I'd do some testing with it just to get an idea of where my functional point blank range is at, to be able to penetrate the game I am going after...

Its design is called a Semi Pointed... most of the original Partitions were of that design, but folks wanted longer range capabilities, so the partitions were changed to a straight SP...

My favorite two partition bullets are the 220 grain 30 cal, and the 160 grain 270 cal... the only two partitions left in that original SMP design..

Sierra and Speer also had some of those design, but they keep getting dropped due to lack of sales...of course they were some of my favorite also...
like the Speer 275 grain SMP in 338 bore... or the 100 grain SMP Sierra in 6mm/243 bore... luckily I have a small stash..enough to last me most of my hunting life..

in 22 cal, Speer still has the 70 grain SMP, while Sierra has the 50, 55 and 63 grain SMP..which are at the top of my favorite varmint bullet list...

a local guy who has since passed on, was wanting to take a "big bear" as he was putting it, that was raiding his getaway cabin. All he ever hunted with for a rifle was a 30/30... he was asking me about what would I use, claimed to have shot it with a factory 170 grain load and it just pissed the bear off more as he put it..

since I play with that sort of 'what if?" scenarios, he paid for the components for me to experiment with... so I picked up some 220 grain RN Sierra's, and some W 748 powder....

I seated them down so they would cycle thru his model 94, adding a light crimp...it still was a stiff load, but tested it out in my rifle particularly for brass life, ( read pressure limits)... I reloaded the case 5 times and at time 6th, the primer pockets were still tight.

The rank was going to be less than 50 yds, a shot being from inside his cabin, when the bear came around again...the load worked... one shot with the 220 grain RN Sierra, dropped the bear...I was not able to observe the results of shot placement of the 220 grain load and the factory 170 grain load that "just pissed him off"....

however one shot from the 220 grainer finished off a bear that weighed a hair over 500 lbs...out of a 30/30..

granted it was a 'stout' load, hence why I don't give out the load except in a private PM.... but the 220 grain RN as usual, managed to do its job quite nicely...

and if anyone is asking, in testing, I can tell you that if your velocity is going to be low, the Sierra is a better choice than the Hornady 220 RN..

the Hornady is not slouch, it is just the Sierra seems to open up at a lower velocity still than the Hornady..just passing that on... out of an 06 or bigger, then are pretty interchangable...accurate and effective..

I tried getting Hornady 220's to shoot in my Marlin 336 30-30 once. They keyholed. Maybe the micro groove had something to do with that?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was able to make them to shoot in both a Marlin and a Model 94....MV was 2100 fps with a stiff charge of W 748... but reloaded those 5 cases 10 times each and the primers went in tight on the 11th time...so if there was added pressure, it didn't seem to hurt anything...

one of those don't try this at home things.. unless you know what you are doing...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
According to him, and for the common good of "Joe Public" he says, his anger has subsided as of late. However, somehow inexplicably his threats continue. Of course mentioning this will undoubtedly bring an invite to SoCal so he can protect his honor............His must be a lonely life.

I simply can't imagine how invaluable a single pic of Bigliar displaying one of his many accomplishments would be to the 'fire and his credibility; just one............

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'd swipe away ALL of her Imagination and Pretend,so she goes to great lengths to make sure it don't happen...and burst them bubbles.

Cyber Judy Chop to you.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
cutnshoot good question,decent thread till sniping and personal attacks started. Saddlesore has built the same interest of heavy rn's in my mind also. I am going to do the same with 220 gr Hornady's for my 03 Springfield. Lotta time in different hunts I make, you simply are limited to 200 yds or less from the terrain. Enough guys here say they work, it's time to find out for yourself with your own experiences. It's to bad that on the fire the innate need to experience some of the accepted ways of the past are allways put down, discarded for a recommendation to use the latest xyz wonder product.
Seafire, I've shot Noslers a long time and have never seen a box labled semi-pointed. Now I've shot more than a few Noslers that were labled semi spitzers. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupid is never smart.

Please fill out a Hurt Feelers Report,then Whine some more...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy 4 year old thread!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some things never change.

Nice to be able to bank on the long term humor quotient...................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The hell with ping-pong balls, I wanna roll .30-30 bowling balls in my unscoped, pre-AE Trapper. May slide in a trick XS Cowboy Express front sight to up my optics. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd poke a dot of repute on 'er and rock the schit out of a Sleeper...on the sly..............

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never in a .308 as my standard feed for my 88 is a 165 gr Sierra GK or a 180 gr Sierra RN. Mostly a muley round ,but did kill some elk with it years ago.

I have been using the 220 gr Sierra RN for quite a few years, if not many years in my .06. Probably velocity is about 2600 + or-. It's been a few years since I chronographed them. I loaded up 200 rounds probably 7-8 years ago and still have about 180 left. That is more than a life time supply for me at my age and I still have few boxes of Sierra 180 gr GK to use. Not to get into another discussion, or argument with the professionals around here, but that is why I recently had a brake installed on my .06 so I could use those loads.

I don't know why every one keeps saying it is a short range bullet. I have killed elk with them from 15 yards to 300 yards and some change. This was verified with a Lieca Range Finder.

A few years ago, I think Mule Deer had an article and in it he stated he could not see why anyone would use the 220gr and he didn't have a use for it. The 200 gr did just as well. It might very well be true. However, I have tipped over quite a few elk with the 220 grain Sierra RN and it does so with authority .So I won't try to fix something that isn't broke for me.

If you can develope a load for it in a .308 ,go for it. It will more than suffice for elk.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/31/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are at the mercy of what you THINK you "know"...which of course is the only ingredient required for hilarity.

Myths and Wives Tales die lingering deaths,as Clueless Window Lickers cling to 'em fiercely.

Congratulations?..................

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well I will go on and continue killing elk with my old wives tales and myths. Strange, of all the grief you give people, we never see any photos of elk that you have actually killed. Fact is all I can ever remember are holes in paper that you post.

When you get to the point that you are approaching 4 dozen elk kills, come back around and you can play with the big boys. Until that time, I'd advise you to join the ranks of the window lickers that you so commonly refer to.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laughing!

Yanking plug wires out from under the hood and sawing legs off Ponies,are "great" approaches commensurate with your Bullet Stupidity.

Not many Elk here in Kansas,within the corn fields.

Bless your heart...............

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well I will give it to you that you are a constant source of entertainment to many here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simply a shame,that the big picture is beyond your pointy head to grasp.

Laughing!..............

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.