Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Mine has a 28" modified choke barrel. Wood is nice but fairly plain. Metal work is high quality. She looks like a "field" gun to me. I have a friend that would like to buy it so I am trying to come up with a fair price. I would think that the condition is 95-98%. Thanks for the help!

"Waidmannsheil"
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bought a couple in great shape in the $500. range. Fair price for a good friend. Seen them go higher. Trap and skeet grades perhaps a little more.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bigbearguy,

I would agree with the $500.00 mark for a friend. Does your Super-X have the vent rib and buttplate on the stock?

The very early shotguns were plain barrel and a smaller profile buttstock with a recoil pad.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My SXM1 has a four digit serial number, was purchased new in September 1976 at a deal (the dealer had it in his stock for over a year). It has a plain modified barrel and the small buttstock with factory black rubber recoil pad. I paid $230.00 plus 6% tax for it when it was new. The 30th edition Blue Book places the Super X Model 1 field grade at $500.00 in 100% condition, $450.00 for 98%, and $400.00 for 95%. The Trap and Skeet models list for $95 - $195 more with another 20% adder for NIB status.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Here are the specifics on my Super X 1:

Serial # M16793
Vent rib barrel-modified choke
14" LOP includes a 3/4" black ventilated recoil pad marked "Winchester Repeating Arms"
Front sight is a 3/8" long "pink" plastic "glow" sight

From what you guys are saying, and from the look of the gun, I think this might be a later production gun. Does anyone know when production ceased on the X1? It is really a nice piece but I just can't give up my A5 Light 12. After all, it has only served me for 43 yrs. I guess I will pass it along to someone that really wants it. After all we don't really own them, we just take care of them for the next almost owner.
Cheers,
Ed

"Waidmannsheil"
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Not real late production. Is the rib attached with an allen head screw at the muzzle? Is the trigger smooth or grooved? Front sight is aftermarket.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
LongRanger,
Allen head screw at the muzzle, trigger grooved. What was the original front sight--silver or gold bead--what size? When do you think that this was made? When did they stop production? Lot's of questions. Thanks for the answers. I would love to get my hands on a trap version of this shotgun.
Cheers,
Ed

"Waidmannsheil"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
PM if your interested in a trap version. Probably 95% plus. Will send pics if interested. Will be out most of the day.

Last edited by battue; 05/13/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am not an expert, but I can give some advice. The allen head screw attachment and the grooved trigger are indications of this being an early production gun. Original front sight would be a medium size brass bead, not sure of the exact size. Yours is no doubt an improvement. Trap and skeet guns would have Bradley red or white bead front sights.

SX1s were introduced in 1973/4 and were produced until the 1984 or so. They are very well built, heavy, and were quite expensive, more than a Browning A5, so they did not sell that well. The allen screws holding the rib can come loose, and if not tightened will eventually shear from recoil. Nothing that a dab of Loctite won't take care of. The trigger assemblies with the grooved trigger shoes are adjustable for slack. The newer trigger assemblies supposedly have better trigger pulls, I have not noticed any meaningful difference between the two designs.

The gun has a few weaknesses. If you have not changed the recoil buffer that fits in the back of the receiver you need to do so, they tend to disentegrate after 30 - 40 years, and shooting the gun without the buffer will eventually damage the bolt and receiver. The magazine tubes can rust if not cleaned and oiled. Wright's is one of the best gunsmiths for SX1's, and they keep parts like recoil buffers in stock. Nu Line also has parts and service for SX1's.

Most people that have these really like them, many consider them the best automatic shotguns ever built. You can find out a lot of information on Shotgun World in the I Love My Winchester forum. You can read posts by some REAL experts there.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=60

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.