Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dancing girls? What's the daily rate? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wellll....theres the "normal" daily rate..

Then theres the "observer" rate....

whistle
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "observer" was no charge in the "PI" smile jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm trying to learn and all you guys want to do is talk about thongs and strippers.

I need to learn everything.... in 2 days,men!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The "observer" was no charge in the "PI" smile jorge

Doooood..... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Edod and others interested. I promised you stuff I came up with that might be of interest so I thought I'd share this report I received on a March-April 09 hunt.

Viewing Hunt Report 7321

DATE AND PLACE OF HUNT
Report ID: 7321 Weapon Used: Rifle How Hunt Was Conducted? Guided
Date of Hunt: Mar 15 2009 to Apr 15 2009
Place of Hunt: Zimbabwe - Area/Concession: Chewore South

OUTFITTER, GUIDE AND BOOKING AGENT DETAILS
Outfitter (or safari company): Chifuti Safaris. PO Box BW 957, Burrowdale. Harare, Zimbabwe. Tel. 011-264-4852-2867. E-mail: chifutimweb.co.zw, Web: www.chifutisafaris.com
Personal Guide (if any): Mark Valero
Booking Agent (if any): Tim Danklef, Safari Classics. 5206 McKinney Ave Suite 101. Dallas, TX, 75205. E-mail: tdanklefaol.com
Trip Arrangements
(if self-guided):
License Required:

GAME DESCRIPTION
Major Game Animals Taken: Lion - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: Very nice.
Buffalo - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: 2 bulls.
Warthog - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: 14 inches.
Zebra - Availability: Average - Trophy Size: Good.
Waterbuck - Availability: Average - Trophy Size: 29 inches.
Impala - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: Good.
Hyena - Availability: Abundant
Duiker - Availability: Scarce

Game Sought But Not Taken: Species: Kudu - Reason for Lack of Success: Brush very tough. Lots of rain.

Game Condition Comments: Excellent. No problems, camp very good, staff great. First trip to Africa. Mark Valero is as good as there are. Record rain, brush and water were everywhere.

SERVICE RATINGS (excellent, good, fair or poor)

Quality of Outfit: Excellent Guide/PH Ability: Excellent
Condition of Camp: Excellent Condition of Equipment: Excellent
Quality of Food: Excellent Trophy Care: Excellent
Name of Airline: Delta Airline Service: Fair
Airline Comments: Delta was horrible. South Africa was great.

COSTS
Hunting Fees: Amount: $0
Trophy Fees: Amount: $0
Permits/Licenses: Amount: $0
Commercial Airfares: Amount: $0
Charter Airfares: Amount: $0
Other Costs: Amount: $0
Total: $0

SUMMARY REMARKS
Problems of Hunt: The only thing was the brush plains game were hard to find.
Highlights of Hunt: Taking a great lion and two bulls. Seeing a lot of elephant and having my wife with me. She is a city girl and went every day with us and my two best friends with me - they also got leopard and two bulls.
Equipment Recommendations: Two pairs of good boots.
Would You Recommend This Hunt to a Friend? Yes
Why? No problems at all in Zimbabwe or the trip over.

HUNTER INFORMATION
Hunter Name: Tommy Salmon Jr.
Contact Information: Tel. 432-557-4847 - #3 Sardonyx, Odessa, TX 79762 - E-mail: tsalmondiamondpump.net
Hunting Experience: Canada, Alaska, New Mexico, Colorado, Quebec, Texas, Yukon, Northwest Territory.
Physical Condition: 50 and a little too heavy.

IMPORTANT NOTES (actions taken if hunter unhappy with hunt)
Notified Outfitter? N/A Notified Personal Guide? N/A Notified Booking Agent? N/A
Seeking any kind of restitution or other settlement from agent, outfitter or guide? N/A
If Seeking Restitution, What is Sought?

ADDITIONAL HUNTER COMMENTS AND/OR OUTFITTER/BOOKING AGENT REBUTTAL
This was a dream come true and I would recommend Chifuti to anyone. We were a little nervous about Zimbabwe, but there was not one problem. They met us in the airport and walked us through everything. Pamala with Safari Classics was the best there was. My wife called her no less than 100 times and she was good at answering any questions and helping with all the paperwork and permits. We saw a lot of Cape buffalo and elephants. Ivan Carter was there with two hunters and it was great having him in camp. My two friends got really good leopard and two bulls each. Their PHs were great also. We filmed our hunt and I would recommend doing it if at all possible. Safari Classics did a great job.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, are you gettin any sleep..? wink

Ingwe

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
And another from 08. I'm taking a journal on my trip.

Viewing Hunt Report 7004

DATE AND PLACE OF HUNT
Report ID: 7004 Weapon Used: Rifle How Hunt Was Conducted? Guided
Date of Hunt: Apr 24 2008 to May 14 2008
Place of Hunt: Zimbabwe - Area/Concession: Chewore South

OUTFITTER, GUIDE AND BOOKING AGENT DETAILS

Outfitter (or safari company): Chifuti Safaris. PO Box BW 957, Burrowdale. Harare, Zimbabwe. Tel. 011-264-4852-2867. E-mail: chifutimweb.co.zw, Web: www.chifutisafaris.com
Personal Guide (if any):
Booking Agent (if any): Tim Danklef, Safari Classics. 5206 McKinney Ave Suite 101. Dallas, TX, 75205. E-mail: tdanklefaol.com
Trip Arrangements
(if self-guided):
License Required:

GAME DESCRIPTION

Major Game Animals Taken: Lion - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: 12 year old, 26.5 inch skull. Excellent male.
Leopard - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: Great leopard, typical tom for the Zambezi Valley.
Buffalo, Cape - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: Very good bull.
Buffalo, Cape - Availability: Abundant - Trophy Size: Very good cow.
Antelope, Klipspringer - Availability: Average - Trophy Size: Excellent raml.
Impala - Availability: Average

Game Sought But Not Taken: Species: Sable - Reason for Lack of Success: The area we hunted was absolutely great for dangerous game but sable were limited.

Game Condition Comments: Just a super area for lion, leopard and Cape buffalo.

SERVICE RATINGS (excellent, good, fair or poor)

Quality of Outfit: Excellent Guide/PH Ability: Excellent
Condition of Camp: Good Condition of Equipment: Excellent
Quality of Food: Excellent Trophy Care: Excellent
Name of Airline: Delta Airline Service: Good
Airline Comments: No real problems. Delta personnel were polite and professional.

COSTS
Hunting Fees: Amount: $63000
Trophy Fees: Amount: $0
Permits/Licenses: Amount: $0
Commercial Airfares: Amount: $0
Charter Airfares: Amount: $0
Other Costs: Hotel coming and going. Amount: $350
Total: $63350

SUMMARY REMARKS
Problems of Hunt:
Highlights of Hunt: Taking a 12 year old free ranging wild lion with a 26.5" skull. It only takes 23" to make the SCI record book. There were 10 lion in the pride. One of the adult males in the pride walked up to our blind and stuck his nose into the brush exterior while we were in the blind
Equipment Recommendations: Avon Skin So Soft insect repellent for tsetse flies. Unlined leather gloves, GPS, you'll use them and cloth shoe chaps.
Would You Recommend This Hunt to a Friend? Yes
Why? The best once in a lifetime hunting trip I've ever been on. Chifuti's people and particularly my professional hunter Len Taylor were just outstanding.

HUNTER INFORMATION
Hunter Name: Phil Bird
Contact Information: Tel. 205-921-5502 - PO Box 1927, Hamilton, AL 35570 - E-mail: pbirdcenturytel.net
Hunting Experience: Alaska four times, Africa three times, Russia and most western and southern US states.
Physical Condition: Good.

IMPORTANT NOTES (actions taken if hunter unhappy with hunt)

Notified Outfitter? N/A Notified Personal Guide? N/A Notified Booking Agent? N/A
Seeking any kind of restitution or other settlement from agent, outfitter or guide? N/A
If Seeking Restitution, What is Sought?

ADDITIONAL HUNTER COMMENTS AND/OR OUTFITTER/BOOKING AGENT REBUTTAL
My professional hunter was the best I've hunted with and I've hunted with some excellent ones. Andrew Dawson, Paul Smith and their whole team were very professional and did a Great Job. They just got the Chewore South Concession in late 2007 and were rebuilding the camps. I plan on hunting with them again. The Safari Classics team of Tim Danklef, Dave Fulson, and Tamera had a very complete pre hunt package which helped get you ready for the hunt. They are hunters themselves and were extremely helpful. I'l be back to hunt with them again!!!

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ingwe...lots on my plate with work and home. My wife is so stoked as to this hunt/trip(to my wonderful surprise) and I'm a freak when it comes to learning new things.So, I need to take up some sleep time to satisfy my freakiness.

Maxwell House is my friend Ingwe.

Last edited by isaac; 05/11/10.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Dancing girls? What's the daily rate? smile

They can't call them strippers on the website. This comes under the heading of "skinners and trackers". (Skin and attractive?). They are customarily paid in single $1 and $5 bills.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by isaac

Bob, you gotta learn to relax, don't stress about football bets ( whistle )
and since you are in learning mode,are you familiar with " African Time"..?

Its not the same as yours and mine...not alot happens in a hurry in Africa, learn to chill out a bit...
and oh, yeah, the hunting vehicle should break down at least once while you are there...just so you know... grin

Relax...

Ingwe

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Buddy...I'm in bed by 1030pm and up at around 430-5am my whole life.

Unfortunately, my schedule,clients and family aren't on Africa time, they're on their Me,Me,Me time. Since those clients are paying for Africa, I oblige.

Plus, I have to get ready for my 72 hour Texas soiree with Pat et al.

Plenty of time for sleep when I'm dead!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See Bob, I didn't steer ya wrong!! Chifuti is first class. smile jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by isaac

Bob, you gotta learn to relax, don't stress about football bets ( whistle )
and since you are in learning mode,are you familiar with " African Time"..?

Its not the same as yours and mine...not alot happens in a hurry in Africa, learn to chill out a bit...
and oh, yeah, the hunting vehicle should break down at least once while you are there...just so you know... grin

Relax...

Ingwe

I thought they charged extra for the breakdown,so declined. They threw it in for free....

I was prepared for African time. It mimics "government time". Here in Canada we have what is referred to as native time by the non natives, and "Indian time" by first nations people of the north. My PH and tracker, both Black Aficaans teased me about being so mellow.

It took them two days to realise I was for real, that what they saw was really who I was. Once we all relaxed we really enjoyed each other. I enjoyed the afternoon naps under the shade trees, and the mellow nature of the stalks let us get very close at times.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy...I was always much the same..always laid back and enjoyed it instead of trying to fill my "shopping list"..only time I ever pulled rank on the PH was during a very long and very unsuccessful buffalo hunt...camp was getting glum, spirits were down, so I pulled rank and declared a screw-off "targets of opportunity" day laugh
We shot guineas, baboons...almost an impala...helped some dude fish a waterbuck out of the river, and in general had a ball...
It lightened to mood considerably and ultimately the buffalo hunt was successful...

ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is what I'm talking about.

We spent a day helping a local traveling nurse. She had a flat tyre, and with talking to her found out she was going to a bushman "settlement" to do innoculations and general health screening. We tagged along and put our skills to work in helping her. It took about half the day and our PH ran into some family who we shared our lunch with. You can't buy that kind of good time. We drove past theare a a couple days later and there was little sign anyone had been there.

Someone on the forum advised me to remember "TIA" this is Africa. It was very sound advice, and getting into the local rythm is a good thing.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Randy...I was always much the same..always laid back and enjoyed it instead of trying to fill my "shopping list"..only time I ever pulled rank on the PH was during a very long and very unsuccessful buffalo hunt...camp was getting glum, spirits were down, so I pulled rank and declared a screw-off "targets of opportunity" day laugh
We shot guineas, baboons...almost an impala...helped some dude fish a waterbuck out of the river, and in general had a ball...
It lightened to mood considerably and ultimately the buffalo hunt was successful...

You Da Man! I totally agree! grin

Mad Dog

ingwe

E
Edod Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Thanks so much for the Hunting Report posts, they mimic other good things I have been hearing concerning Chifuti. I also met a gentleman who was recently in Zimbabwe and he was very reassuring regarding safety over there. He had a ball and is going back again this year. My friend, with whom I am going, has been investigating Samaras Safaris in Tanzania and has been hearing good things about this outfit as well. Any suggestions between Zim and Tanzania for a first safari concentrating mostly on Buffalo? Any first hand knowledge of Luke Samaras Safaris? There are too many decisions to be made.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luke Samaras has been at it a long time. i don't think you'll go wrong there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hate to post anything too on topic, but...

I'm exactly 2 months away from my trip with Chifuti. We are scheduled to hunt in Chewore South. Andrew Dawson authorized a "shared bag" hunt for my brother and I. I'm after Buff and my brother, apart from just wanting to come along, wants an Impala and Hyena. So the lucky little peckerwood gets to hunt the Valley for $175 (observer rate)a day while his brother pays the full tariff for a Buff/PG hunt. We're tentatively planned to be huntign with Ian Gibson, but things can always change. Ian emailed me after we met at SCI and told me to call Dave Fulson and re-request that we hunt together (I must have come off as a nice guy or good tipper in Reno - not the poor policeman that I actually am) so hopefully it works out. Ian said that they like to keep some of their better known PHs free for "big wheel" clients. Gibson was the guy that spent a couple of hours talking to us at SCI and ultimately tipped us in favour of Chifuti so it's only right that he has to deal with us while we're there.

I'll be back in Canada on August 1st so Randy can start harassing me for photos (payback) shortly after that!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

554 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.