Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nasgam..

I saw that review about a month ago. I did not agree with much of it because he compared scope over to wide of a price range. If he wanted to be fair to the Nikon and Redifeild scopes, he SHOULD have used a Vortex corssfire- at the same price- he did not. He used a $200 Diamaondback.

More apples to organges. Also some of the guy's reviewing techniques are too subjective to me. He also seems to be funded or afflitiated with SWFA- another Vortex dealer.I could be worng about that.

To me the deck was stacked against the Nikon and Redfeild in that "test". One thing is for sure- that guy is no John Barsness when it comes toreviewing optics..

I just got my 2-7 Redfield in today.

My take on the adjustments is this-

The scope is NOT designed to be a target or tactical scope. It is a $130 Hunting scope.

From what I can tell so far, the adjustment clicks work fine for their purpose.. The tracking is the most important part. Clicks or no clicks.

Last edited by jim62; 05/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I agree that the adjustments may work fine, when the Redfield was put up against other hunting scopes of the same class it was found to be wanting in the tactile sense. The worrisome part to me was that the adjustment didn't feel the same in both directions. That indicates to me a possible issue with the machining or the assembly of the scope.
Will it make a difference in the RW, probably not. It does however get put into the mix as a possible factor when one is making a decision on which scope to get. Especially when all the other parameters are nearly equal.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
N,

Based on the several Redfeilds I looked at before I bought mine and the 2-7 I have in hand, the adjustments seem to work fine in both directions.

It is very tough to make a TRULY compact turret adjustment with Truly crisp clicks with a coil spring/plunger setup used on modern scopes.

The old "V" leaf srpings used in the older click stop Weavers for example were/are as crips as glass- very, very distinct. And the leaf spring design they used is very compact. The problem is no modern engineer will use a leaf spring if he can use a coil spring.

To get a large enough coil spring to provide enough tension/crispness, it requires a larger, taller turret than what is on the Redfeild,IMHO.

Heck, I have seen Target scopes with well respected names and high price tags that have clicks no more crisp than the Redfeilds.

And Like I said, judging a $130 US made hunting scope by Target /Tactical requirements is not exactly logical.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim,
I don't think Koshkin is affiliated in any way with SWFA. Even if he were, SWFA also is a Redfield dealer.
I did some checking on RW prices and found a max difference in price on the scopes included in Koshkins test to be +$40 for the Vortex.
The other scopes are closer +$35 for the FF2, +$20 for the 3200, +$10 for the Nikon.

I would also contend that Koshkin is more of an optical engineer than JB. I believe JB would even admit that. JB has it all over Koshkin in the field experience arena but the science and quantification edge goes to Koshkin.
Your point about the design of the turrets is taken.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, doesn't matter whether or not I agree with your scope choice- I do agree with your sentiment about buying American. At some point the price differential on apples to apples items may become too much for a lot of folks but wherever possible I try to buy A) American and B) anything but China or Mexico if at all plausible - followed by a list of countries I prefer over others. I will stay neutral on the Redfield vs Vortex but do applaud your efforts at saying something we should all consider. just my 2 cents folks.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nas and K..

I agree with your overall sentiments posted above. Ans I might add, MOST any optical review is going to be subjective- no matter who does it. Everyone sees differently and everyhone looks for differnt things in a scope either mechaniaclly or optically.

One thing about any direct Vortex / Refield comparison in terms of cost is the fact are pretty much right in between the two Vortex Crossfire and Dimaondback lines so an exact comparison is not really posssible.As you did in your review K, you just have to do the best you can.

One thing is for sure, nobody is curing cancer critiquing hunting optics, so it is litterally a matter of tow each his own..

So far, I think the Redeild is a lot of scope for the $$$ .It will be intertesting for me to see how it compares to others I now have and will be aquiring.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is SWFA a bad thing around here? I've never seen much positive posted about them.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Actually Marc,

I like SWFA overall..

I have ordered sevral things from them over the years and been treated fairly.

Some folks don't like them as they have had different experiences. There have been some issues with them taking orders for stuff they do not have in stock or them not backing up their lowest price guarantees.

I have always gotten around the "in stock" issue by calling them directly and asking if they have the item on hand before I order. I do that with any online company.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the main issue with SWFA here is just loyalty to Cameraland.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well Nsa..

Doug is a straight up guy and I have never heard of the instock issues/price guarantee issues with him, either.

And I do know several folks who have had those problems with SWFA..

SWFA really stepped into it about a year or two ago over the Nikon 6x Monarch closeout mess. It was not pretty.

That thread went on for months.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I ordered stuff years ago from SWFA and they were fine. Last time I tried stuff wasn't in stock but they did send an email and let me cancel the order. Cameraland has been good to me, not a single complaint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I think the main issue with SWFA here is just loyalty to Cameraland.

The anti-SWFA surge here at 24HCF goes back well before CLNY was remotely associated with the 'Fire.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What was the deal George?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jim62
Nasgam..

I saw that review about a month ago. I did not agree with much of it because he compared scope over to wide of a price range. If he wanted to be fair to the Nikon and Redifeild scopes, he SHOULD have used a Vortex corssfire- at the same price- he did not. He used a $200 Diamaondback.

jim,

I don't recall the original poster asking anything about Vortex Crossfires compared to Redfields, he asked about Diamondbacks compared to Redfields.

Seems the review you were squawking about wanting surfaced from someone with I'm going to guess has about 50 times the experience with optics that you do.

His test slammed your arguement in the face, so now your reaching for straws by saying the review was brand bias and bringing up scope models that were never part of the discussion because you can't come up with anything else to support your arguement.

If anyone here is blindly brand bias its you, if you haven't figured it out yet, I can assure you everyone else here has.

Bill

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Don't know what Jim has been up to lately as I've had him on ignore for some time.

I took about 3 minutes a couple of month's ago and read some of his posts, 80% of them are conflict, correcting or demeaning somebody. He might have a bit of knowledge but when it comes to optics Koshkin has him trumped very heavily. When it comes to Leupold or Redfield, I can swear that Jim and Eremicus are sisters. Eremicus has mellowed so I took him (only other person) off ignore.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Okay...let's say a fella wants to buy a new scope and has approximately $200 he's willing to spend.

Would you recommend he spend it on:

(A) REDFIELD REVOLUTION 4X12X40

or

(B) VORTEX DIAMONDBACK 4X12X40

All advice appreciated, but advice from those that have or do own one or the other is appreciated that much more.

Thanks!

Swamp

Don't let the typical optics forum hissy fits give you any indigestion. Go to a sportmans warehouse/bass pro shop and look at and thru the new Redfield, in my opinion it is a lot of scope for the money based on looks alone. Next call up Doug and Cameraland and have him send you one of the Vortex scopes on evaluation. Make your own mind up. Finally the viper's are made in the Philippines according to the guy I spoke to at Vortex. Secondly I am very happy with the level of interest and support I got on speaking to them on their customer line. They actually put two scopes on a collimator for me to see where the parallax was set at and if it varied over the power range (it did not), but I think I am going to buy a fixed X scope this time anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by jim62
Nasgam..

jim,

I don't recall the original poster asking anything about Vortex Crossfires compared to Redfields, he asked about Diamondbacks compared to Redfields.

Seems the review you were squawking about wanting surfaced from someone with I'm going to guess has about 50 times the experience with optics that you do.

His test slammed your arguement in the face, so now your reaching for straws by saying the review was brand bias and bringing up scope models that were never part of the discussion because you can't come up with anything else to support your arguement.

If anyone here is blindly brand bias its you, if you haven't figured it out yet, I can assure you everyone else here has.

Bill

I was not reaching at straws. Just made some observations.

If you would READ the subsequent posts both of us made to each other, you would see I realised and admited that he could not really find a Vortex scope that was the exact price as the Redfield as the it is priced right in between the same Crossfire and Diamondback offerings.

I realize he did the best he could with what was avialable to him and acknowledged that. The discussion was between him and I- not you. But thanks so much for your totally worthless imput on the matter..

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
Don't know what Jim has been up to lately as I've had him on ignore for some time.

I took about 3 minutes a couple of month's ago and read some of his posts, 80% of them are conflict, correcting or demeaning somebody. He might have a bit of knowledge but when it comes to optics Koshkin has him trumped very heavily. When it comes to Leupold or Redfield, I can swear that Jim and Eremicus are sisters. Eremicus has mellowed so I took him (only other person) off ignore.

No body "trumped" anyone.Based on the places he had posted before-on the SWFA forums it looked like he was hooked up with them.

His opinions are still subjective- all optics tests are. I also don't consider them to be definitive. Unlike you,I can think for myself.

As far as "Emericus" goes, you seem to be infatuated with him.. You are always mentioning him in posts. I think you are queer for the guy.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Okay...let's say a fella wants to buy a new scope and has approximately $200 he's willing to spend.

Would you recommend he spend it on:

(A) REDFIELD REVOLUTION 4X12X40

or

(B) VORTEX DIAMONDBACK 4X12X40

Swamphunter,

Please let us know which one you choose - I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on your purchase. Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Swamphunter and Kimber7man. I have both brands but not in the magnification range you looking at. I have punished both brands. So far to date, 1 of my 2 Redfields have went back, none of any of my Vortex products have went back. Most of the Vortex products I have had over 2-3 years.

With that said, I must agree the Redfields are a ton of scope for the $$$$

Much is pending on what you want. Optically the Diamondback is a bit ahead of the Redfield in contrast and clarity. Eye relief goes to the Redfield but the DB is very useable. Ergonomics go to the Redfield as the DB has a larger ocular.

YMMV... Dollar for dollar, I prefer the DB even though it's a bit more costly.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.