Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have two Rem700 XCR rifles with the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad. Both got gooey/sticky. The first I replaced with another Limbsaver at cost to me (I thought this happened because I got Barnes CR-10 on it). However, the Limbsaver recoil pad on my second, newer XCR recently started to go a little gooey as well. Fortunately, this time I learned that a lot of Limbsaver Recoil pads that went onto the Remington XCRs were defective and so Remington replaced my second limbsaver under warranty. However, they replaced it with their SuperCell recoil pad instead.

Has anyone had experience with both? The Limbsaver seems noticably "softer" than the supercell recoil pad, and therefore, intuitively, it seems like it would be more effective in absorbing the recoil.

The reason I am asking is right now, the gooeyness is not that bad on the limbsaver (just a small patch the size of a dime). I will only replace if 1) the gooey area gets bigger or 2) someone with experience with both tells me the SuperCell recoil pad is more effective.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Call Remington. They gave me a new one free a few months ago. Didn't have to send the old one in or anything. Had it in three days. Ken They sent a super cell

Last edited by kend; 05/17/10.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the response Kend.

However, I suspect I have been too "wordy". I did call Remington, and yes, they indeed sent my a super cell recoil pad(and like you, based on a phone-call, only).

However, my question boils down to which is the more effective recoil pad (based on the experience of those who have used both). Based on "feel" alone, it is hard to imagine how the SuperCell can better, or even equal, the recoil-taming power of the Limbsaver.

If the limbsaver continues to "degrade" then the choice of whether to replace it the "waiting" supercell is easy. However, as it stands now, the gooey spot on the limbsaver is only small and I can live with it as is, but if the SuperCell is indeed more effective, then I will make the switch without waiting for the limbsaver to degrade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had and used both. I have a LVSF that had to go back to Remington since the recoil pads are glued on that stock. They paid for shipping both ways. They replaced it with another LS pad. I used to have a Rem 700 in 375HH with a new CDL stock that had the Supercell pad. It was a good pad and is very light weight. It mitigated the recoil of the HH very well.

I cannot compare the two on similar weight rifles in the same cartridges but I do know the Supercell pads work at least as good as the Limbsaver.

RH

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Apparently it's true that people usually read only the first third of most mail. My bad and I won't do it again. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
bearclan, I put a limbsaver on my BPS 10.......what a good choice! Have a supercell on my 3 1/2" 12ga.........it is good but "not" better. Nothing wrong with the SuperCell at all.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
On my 870, the SuperCell works really well.

I am thinking that it is as good or better than the R3/Limbsaver. That said, the SC seems like it will be much lighter and more durable along with looking better.

No more Limbsavers for me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On my 870 super mag the Lmbsaver pad reduces recoil a lot more than the supercell pad. I too had issues with the R3 pads going sticky. Limbsavers will replace the R3 pads. Same pad as the R3 just not labeled as such. As for the durability of the supercell pad I have one on a different 870. Well one fall turkey season and now this spring season and the edges are starting to breakdown.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.