Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Anyone have one, and if so, how do you like it?
http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/index.html
Looking at their lightweight rifles, they claim to be able to build a stock less than a pound, WITH recoil pad. Just curious how the quality stacks up.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Where on their site do they claim a stock weihgt of less than a pound?

If they can do that with a normal sized and shaped stock, they will have been the first to do it.

Even the old Brown Precision "pounder" stocks weighed over 1 lb when paint and a pad were added.

Last edited by jim62; 05/20/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the picture of his Ultra-light rifle that weighs 4.5lbs. In the write-up below the picture it says the stock is under a pound finished. I actually got a chance to handle that rifle - his shop is not that far away from me. Anyway, the rifle almost felt wrong it was so lightweight. By the look and feel of the stock it seems pretty good but I have no idea on how it holds up to use, never run into anyone even here in Oregon that has any of his stuff??

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I handled one of these stocks on a banquet rifle built by Oregunsmithing that was at a local shop. The action was a modified Remington 700, short action, with a Pac-Nor lightweight sporter barrel chambered in some magnum caliber I can't remember.

The stock was very straight, no cheekpiece, had a substantial wrist and a wide butt. Not unlike a NULA stock. It came up fast, pointed well and felt pretty good in the hand. The rifle was quite light, but I have no idea what the stock itself would weigh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBurroughs
Looking at their lightweight rifles, they claim to be able to build a stock less than a pound, WITH recoil pad. Just curious how the quality stacks up.

To get under a pound, that Pendleton can't be 100% wool.
grin

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Oregunsmith stock on a Savage and it is a really nice lightweight stock. The recoil pad is a little soft and sticky but other than that I've been impressed with it. I have not weighed it but I will.
Lee

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had Wayne stock a lightweight model 7 and coat the metal. He never plugged the chamber or the muzzle, so both got first media blasted to a nice matte finish.....not what you want on the inside of the barrel or chamber. He could have cared less and said who cares it won't matter and if you don't like it just shorten the barrel. The stock is NOT under a pound, its still very light at about 18 oz(I can't remember exactly, he didn't even want to talk about that. I am fine with the weight though I do think if you claim it WILL be under 16 oz it should be. I like the stock a lot, I would buy more of his stocks if he didn't do such a crap job on other things and didn't care that he did unacceptable work. We did also re-bed the stock as it was far from stress free bedding. Buy a unfinished "gunsmith" stock from him and you might be ok.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
MPI Stocks, Portland OR. makes a Micro Light Graphite/Kevlar stock blank, that can be finished at 1 lb. or just under.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one of his under 1lb ultralight stocks and lets just say - never again. However my opinion is based only on the one I had, perhaps I was just lucky. Lol

Last edited by bigJ; 10/25/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had Wayne build me a stock for mt sako 6-284 build...turned out really nice...it's not his light weight version. But it is trim a comfterbale

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the look of that "Classic A"...McMillan has been dicking the dog since Feb on a Mauser stock I ordered, I'm about done with them.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Usually when a weight that low is quoted it is for a bare unpainted stock with no hardware. The pendleltons looked good for ergonomics. MPI is a viable option and Basner stocks are in production again but forgot the new name.

Paint adds about 2 oz according to Melvin Forbes and pad and swivels can add 4-8ozs depending on type.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
J
I know this is an old thread, but I am considering having Oregunsmithing do some custom work for me, including a Pendleton stock. Has anyone used this guy since this last post?

I am also considering having Oregunsmithing install a carbon Proof Research barrel on my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker action. I had a local gunsmith (not Oregunsmithing) tell me I would need to have the action blueprinted and some additional machining to true the action. Oregunsmithing said that wasn't necessary on an X-Bolt action. Does anyone have any experience with installing new barrels on X-Bolt actions? Thanks.

Last edited by JohnyRingo; 10/17/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JohnyRingo
I know this is an old thread, but I am considering having Oregunsmithing do some custom work for me, including a Pendleton stock. Has anyone used this guy since this last post?

I am also wanting him to install a carbon Proof Research barrel on my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker action. I had a local gunsmith tell me I would need to have the action blueprinted and some additional machining to true the action. Oregunsmithing said that wasn't necessary on an X-Bolt action. Does anyone have any experience with X-Bolts and install new barrels? Thanks.

Cleaning up and blueprinting an Xbolt action? LOL he must have needed some extra money. Run Forrest Run

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
Usually when a weight that low is quoted it is for a bare unpainted stock with no hardware. The pendleltons looked good for ergonomics. MPI is a viable option and Basner stocks are in production again but forgot the new name.

Paint adds about 2 oz according to Melvin Forbes and pad and swivels can add 4-8ozs depending on type.

Spoke to Mr Bansner last week concerning a Model 70 stock , he said they should be revving up in November, they are using new tooling and molds.

Here is the link to his company

Bansner and company

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.