Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
444afic Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What do you all recommend for elk? This is for Colorado, so sabots are out.

JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use a .54cal 430 gr T/C Maxibullet that a friend casts for me. I bought the mould 30+ yrs ago and it shoots 3" or less at 100yds. 120 grs of pyrodex in my Renegade and I have a great 150 yd Colorado setup.
John

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I asked that a couple months ago and opinions were widely varied. Although I've never shot an animal with one, I have been impressed with the 300gr Thor solid copper bullet in my backyard. I plan to use them this fall in front of 100 or 110 grs of BH 209.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3809444/1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I can get them to shoot well, I will be using the 300 gr thor also next fall.

that said, I have killed an elk the last two years with the 350 gr Hornady FPB. Great bullet, accurate, and cheaper than thors or powerbelts.

I also like BH 209, of couse not every gun will shoot it. What gun will you be shooting.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only shot one elk with BP. It was a traditional hunt, no optics, sabots or the like. Used a 50 cal. with a 320 grain T/C mini Ball. Broke a front shoulder with the first shot, second went through both lungs and exited. Elk only went 30 feet or so.
I am for sure no BP expert, but like most hunting do think shot placement is far more important that what bullet.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm shooting factory open sights so I'm not going to talk about my group size but, last week my brother shot 300gr Thors and 300gr fpb's out of a scoped Knight disc at 100 yds. They were ALL in the same 2 1/2" group.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jester,

Your brother must practice a lot!

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Folks.....if you go the lead route you are doing yourself a great injustice if you don't strongly consider No Excuses Bullets. They are simply the best conical I have ever shot, and it appears that I am not alone in that judgment. Take a serious look at them...they shoot great groups and knock a hell of a hole in the animal.

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 444afic
What do you all recommend for elk? This is for Colorado, so sabots are out.

JV

What rifle?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Folks.....if you go the lead route you are doing yourself a great injustice if you don't strongly consider No Excuses Bullets. They are simply the best conical I have ever shot, and it appears that I am not alone in that judgment. Take a serious look at them...they shoot great groups and knock a hell of a hole in the animal.

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

I agree as long as your rifle will shoot them. Chances are a T/C with a QLA won't. My omega shoots no excuses at 5-8 inch groups at 25 yards! That is NOT the bullets fault. But it will shoot thors, FPBs, and powerbelts OK due to the rear bell skirt that locks the gasses in. But then, the Omega is not designed for conicals, only sabots. Yes, some of them will shoot conicals OK, but you have to be lucky to get one that does.

If my gun shot no excuses well, I would seriously think about using them. I have heard only praises from terminal performance.

Venor ergo sum
IC B3

444afic Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Traditions in-line I bought from Bass Pro Shops in 2002 that is almost identical to the E-Bolt. I don't remember the model name, but I think it was sold exclusively through Bass Pro. I used it that season in Virginia, but moved west in 2003 and have not drawn a muzzleloader tag since then. I'm thinking about picking up a new muzzleloader though, one that's easier to clean, and more accurate. I'm looking at the CVA Accura and a few others.

I picked up some 270 grain Platinum Powebelt bullets and some 325 grain TC Maxi-Balls on sale. I'm sure the latter would be good for elk, but I wonder if the Powerbelts would open up too soon.

JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The Platinum Powerbelts work great, much more controlled expansion versus the traditional Powerbelts. I still prefer the Hornady FPB, however, given the cost of the Platinums.

If you're serious about that Accura, check out Midway USA right now. Heck of a deal going on.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had the 54 348G aero-tip not exit on the broadside shot of a 180lb deer. Rifle was a Lyman deerstalker 1/48 twist. I just do not have confidence in these bullets for big stuff. With a 54 cal. hole I am looking for more penetration than this on an elk.

I am going to be trying the No-Excuse conicals as I just drew a bull tag for unit 43.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm loaded with a round ball in the Mortimer, a 540 grain (can't get 'em any more?)TC Maxi-hunter in the .54 (used to use a Precision Rifle "Ultimate 1 Colorado Conical"), and a Cabela's 450 grain "x-tended range conical in the 50 cal. Any of them will kill an elk, some closer, some farther away. But I've only killed a couple of elk with a muzzleloader, so heck if I know what's best for you to use.

I shot these heah 54 cal. bullets into soaking-wet newspaper. I forget exactly how fast they were going, but I usually use modest loads of around 100 grains of FFg for conicals and more for round balls;
left-to-right: round ball, 460 grain round-nose flat-base Buffalo Bullet, 425 grain hollow-point hollow-base Buff bullet, 425 grain Hornady Great Plains, and 540 grain Maxi-Hunter.

[Linked Image]

There are many copies.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice picture. I have never understood the "need" for a hollowpoint in soft lead either.

I really like the looks of that 460 grain round-nose flat-base Buffalo Bullet. Decent expansion and short profile for a 1/48 twist. Where did you get those?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
djb....give that guy an email and he will be glad to give you suggested loads that work for the bullet chosen, etc. He was such a nice guy in his email....just asked me what I needed and said "Its in the mail...send me a check when you receive it." The customer service aspect (along with the bullet performance of course) really sold me on his product.

I am not surprised they didn't shoot in some guns....I get the feeling that they are designed for "traditional" muzzleloaders, but am not sure on that.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
Where did you get those?

Umm..I don't know. I'm afraid that most of the stuff I shoot is unavailable/outdated these days. smile I think they shut down some time ago.... Its lucky that I buy in bulk. smile

Last edited by DPole; 05/23/10.

There are many copies.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks. I will take your advice.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have become a "hoarder" of late when I find something I like. Those bullets look a lot like a lengthened Ball-et I have tried before.

I had a gentleman cast some Lee REAL's for me and they shoot well, problem is they are so undersized that I can literally shake them out of the bore.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've killed several elk with the same ml, a 50 cal tc black diamond shooting 100gr of pyrodex and 348gr hollow point powerbelts. all were one shot kills and all were braodside at less than 100 yards except for one cow coming head on and shot at a distance of 8 steps. i gave that gun away and now use my old 54cal tc renegade. a couple elk killed at less than 100 yards, one using great plains bullet and maybe 2 using the maxi hunter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.