-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might google the cookbook "101 Ways To Wok Your Dog", might have a game section.................:-)

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yuck!!!!It tastes like sheet..

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyotes can't be that bad, An Edmonton Alberta restaurant was caught with ready to cook coyotes in the freezer a few years back

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2003/11/11/coyote_meat031111.html

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Was hamered up at a Fish and Wildlife dinner and tried some cougar.

How was she? grin

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think Lewis (or Clark?) preferred dog over salmon on his jaunt to the coast and back. Salmon was so rich after nearly starving in the Bitterroots that he couldn't eat it. Indians thought that was funny...

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
IC B2

B
BlueDoe Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So, MD, that test of the bear meat assumes that the trichinosis cycts are evenly distributed through the meat?

"Mama tried..."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes. Apparently that's what happens once they become infected (or infested, however you want to put it).

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I ate dog & monkey when helping train ARNV forces. Monkey kind of tastes like chicken, dog was stringy & tough. Wolf would probably taste like an old eagle or maybe tripe. I passed on monkey brains since they were eaten raw. Pork brains & eggs are a real delicacy.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Testing of trich is best done using the tongue of the bear, apparently.

Here is a link to our British Columbia hunting site. One of our braver{dumber?] members shot a yote and tried out a loin...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50711

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Riggins Idaho has (or used to) a Big Game feed every year where people from all over come and share there game from all over the world,sometimes..From Rattlesnake to whatever and sometimes it is good and others terrible.A taste of somethings is all a guy needs to forever not want to eat it again,and Wolf is one of those as well as Cougar,atleast for me.

It's pretty bad when Rocky Mountain Oysters are the best thing at a table.

Jayco

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I think the number of bears shot around garbage dumps may contribute to the less-than-stellar rep as a table meat, and also the simple reality of meat spoilage from cavalier field dressing. My personal experience with bear hunting/eating is limited to one animal, so I'm no expert, but the bear I shot was a smallish (less than 200lb) sow that had been heavily feeding in an old apple and pear orchard. I got her fully skinned out and hanging within a few hours, so the meat cooled down quickly (this was in early October, and she had an incredible rind of fat that I mostly removed).

The next day I took her to a meat locker. The resulting steaks, chops, roasts and hams (two of them smoked) are among the best meat I've ever eaten--dense and grainy and a deep red in color, with wonderful flavor. I also had several women who were not at all accustomed to eating game (one of whom bordered on an anti-hunter) tell me they thought it was way up there too. Nobody who tried it actually disliked it. So in my experience, a well-fed animal, properly dressed, can go a long way toward table quality.
Although I find hound-hunting for bear to be very interesting, I wonder if the adrenaline/fear factor from the chase might affect the meat--anyone have an opinion or experience with this?
Best,
Malcolm

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by logcutter
Riggins Idaho has (or used to) a Big Game feed every year where people from all over come and share there game from all over the world,sometimes..From Rattlesnake to whatever and sometimes it is good and others terrible.A taste of somethings is all a guy needs to forever not want to eat it again,and Wolf is one of those as well as Cougar,atleast for me.

It's pretty bad when Rocky Mountain Oysters are the best thing at a table.

Jayco

The trick with Rocky Mountain Oysters is the right sauce for dipping.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
In the late 70's we ate a lot of bear. Several each year. I do not think there was any Crisco brought into the house for about four years as Mom was using rendered bear lard for all of her cooking, including the baking of all the bread consumed by six children.

Each and every one of these bears was killed out of a tree over dogs. But none of them had really exerted himself before climbing the tree. With one exception, every bear had climbed a pine tree within two hundred yards of where the dogs had kicked him out of bed.

Our favorite way to prepare bear meat was as pot roast, including the addition of lots of apples cored and quartered.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.