Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by gene270
jimbobwsm,
not sure i understand your reply are you saying these guys are not good smiths?

gene

Best I have ever used.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry Gene, thought you were asking me that Q

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
my stupidity looked at the post wrong i appologize to jimbobwsm and rdfinn

gene

Last edited by gene270; 05/27/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP- I have a Bansner "Ultimate Ovis" in 7mm08 that will probably become my favorite whitetail rifle. Mine was part of a reduced price run and I opted for no muzzle brake. Less expensive than the posted price, but still far from cheap.

He has also rescued a Mauser 98 and a Winchester 70 for me after they were botched by other gunsmiths (nobody mentioned here). Part of the attraction for me is his stocks. Good fit and finish, and they balance as I like them to.

This isn't just my subjective reaction. My hunting partner took his mule deer last year with my Bansner-stocked Mauser and now wants to buy it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't know about his rifles, but if the service he provides on them is anything like the service that's been provided by him/the folks that work for him, to me on stocks, then I'd say it would be top notch. I like his stocks and have finished a load of them. Any time I've had a question they've been quick to answer and offer help. They've shipped me sling swivels for free when I lost one or when I wanted stainless rather than blued...little things, but they were nice about it and happy to do it. Every time I've ordered a blank from them it arrives BEFORE the estimated date they give. Good folks.

JCM

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by slg888
I will take a Red Rider or Daisy over the McWhorter.
LOL your CRAZY dude!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Are you talking about hunting rifles ? They all shoot 1/4 inch or better ?

Yes. I spent a lot of time doing load development and all will shoot 1/4 moa. 243, 300wsm, 6.5wby, and 7wsm. I just got my hands on some 300gr Bergers and they have proved to be incredible in my 338ultra. All are hunting rifles less than 8 lbs with the exception of my heavy 243.

There is will and always will. The two seldom meet.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
B,
Definitely. The real nice thing about Bansner's High Tech's are 1. You don't have to wait forever to get one and 2. They don't break the bank when you buy one.
I have a couple in the safe (stocks) including a blank for a SAKO AV. Anyone know of an AV out there that might be available?
If his rifles are anything like his stocks and his service I wouldn't be afraid to send him a deposit.
I might even ask for a counter balance on a LH model but only if I were going to install a Leupy on it and not rotate the turrets.

Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've heard nothing but good about his rifles and stocks. Now I think if you told him it was to be a lefty and a Leo would ride on top he would take care of it from the get-go and your worries would be for naught. grin

If the bug bit I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his rifles. However, that Mr. Forbes down your way has bit me pretty good recently.

Addition: Must pass along a compliment. W.V. and its people are top shelf.

Last edited by battue; 05/28/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can't comment on Bansner rifles other than they do seem high priced; that's not to say they are not worth it. I've also no experience with the other rifle makers here but since somebody mentioned NULA, i'll also add Rifles Inc. Because some of his (Lex Weberneck) models are comparably priced ( around $3200-3500) and I've had three though two have gone down the road through no fault of their own.

He does a very nice job and one of his specialties is a very light (Lightweight Strata) rifle off of the Rem 700-- a "mountain rifle" so to speak.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
B,
Melvin is a good guy and he can build a rifle. It's was too tough for me to live here and not own one of his guns. He told me when I picked mine up that it was his gun and he was loaning it to me. It sure works good.
If I were to have one built for the grandson I am sure I would get some weird looks from others in the family.
Mark builds a pretty nice piece too. Man ought to own at least one of each but there ain't enough time to wringem all out.
I feel the same way you do about many of my fellow West Virginians. Pretty good bunch and most can shoot. Our electoral votes went to McCain just in case anybody cares.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a couple Bansners. Still have one in 280 Rem that is as accurate as a gun can get. Had another in 300 Weatherby I'm still kicking my self for getting rid of. I've met Mark and talked to him at lenght. He builds an excellent rilfe. I'm sure there are others but IMO McWhorter and Bansners are 2 of the very best going right now. 163bc

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mark has rebarreled and restocked several for me. The first was a Model 7 in 7SAUM. It has a Lilja barrel, his stock and is coated. It shoots Great! He also put a 280 Rem Lilja barrel on a Sako 85 Finnlight action. It shoots too! He is currently putting a 6.5-284 barrel on a Sako A7 action. I'm expecting good things. His shop is immaculate and he and Tom are great guys.

Bob257
7mm fan!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I own a Bansners in 300 Win mag and its a better shooter than I am. I'm the second owner, and needed the LOP reduced by a 1/2 inch. Mark did the work and repainted the stock and sent it back for something like $25, which I seem to recall was just the shipping.

I like his work, and I love the rifle.

Top shelf guy.

BTW, he answered the phone when I called, as well. I like a man who puts his name on a product and answers his own phone.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have reloaded and shot a "Sheep Rifle" in 300RUM and was impressed with the rifle. My friend picked it up for $2500 including a Swarovski 3x12x56 with a TDS reticle from a victim of Obummer's economy.

When I gave it back I told him it was the best gun he has and he has quite a few and I have quite a few custom rebarrels (Hart, Brux, Douglas, Pac-Nor, Shilen). First load was with 200 gr TSX's that shot 1 1/2" with new cases and RL25 at 200 yards and that fit the reticle so done deal. It was a pleasure to shoot with the muzzle brake even though I am not a fan of them. Feeding and trigger pull was excellent.

Mag length was 3.7" and the distance to the lands with the 200 gr TSX was 3.79". Not too bad for a 300 RUM.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
R
RSH Offline
R
I own a 300 RUM "Ultimate One" by Bansner's. I own a few other custom rifles and have had a few more that I have let go over the years. The 300 RUM by Bansner's is the most consistant rifle for accuracy that I have ever owned. I have shot 185 Bergers, 180 Barnes, 180 Swift, 180 Noslers (Accubond & Ballistic)and all have been below 1" at 200 yards. The Berger and Barnes were right at 1/2" at 200. The rifle wears a Z5 Swarovski with Talley quick detach rings and weighs in at 7 pounds, 15 ounces. Bansner's Rifles in my opinion is definiftely one of the best out there if not the BEST!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clarence Hammonds @ half the price.No brag just fact.Over 30 world records go into each and every hunting rifle.

A Hammonds built rifle will out shoot a Bansner any day of the week.I've seen and heard Mr. Bansner get very testy about this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy of mine has hunted with a half a dozen Bansners. His results mirrored those in this thread and I'd have no issue ordering a lefty from him. Well, other than the fact I am buying braces for the kids, paying the IRS a little extra, and saving for some taxidermy work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RSH,
1/2" at 200yds. I won't buy that from him or any other custom smith in a hunting rifle. Get a target with 5 bulls on it and post pictures. Most of us got off the turnip truck a long time ago.
Butch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like those Bansner's are almost as accurate as them McWhorter's............................ grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.