Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I, too, know of, or have seen more than a few people shot and killed with the .25 ACP, including cops. I've also met a few that had the little .25 bullets deflect off of their skulls and one guy that had one deflect off of his jaw during a robbery. BTW, it knocked him down. So it can work.
I look at a good knife as a general purpose tool that can do many jobs. I carry a 3 5/8ths inch folding Benchmade. Under the right conditions and used properly, they can make a very effective weapon.
BTW, I saw more cops accidently shoot themselves with a .25 auto than with anything else. The popular gun was the Beretta pistol with an outside hammer. Strike the the back of the hammer, say while brushing down the uniform pants, and you now have a bullet hole through your boot and your foot. Something to keep in mind.
It, the .25 auto's only attribute is, in the very small Browning auto, very easy to drop in the front pants pocket and not show while so carried. But that's it in my book. All of the small guns, even the .380's and the 2 inch .38/.357's are not worth much if you really need one. Again, just my opinion after seeing more than a few in action. If you need to carry a gun, carry a solid, full sized gun. Make sure it doesn't show and learn how to carry it comfortably enough to live with it. Or leave it home. E

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what do you think of those nyclad soft lead hollow points in a 38?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's simple. Carry the one you can use most proficiently.

I have a permit to carry a concealed hand gun, don't think it extends to permit a concealed knife?

But I understand your point, that little 25 ACP doesn't inspire much confidence (and I own two of them). wink

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take the pistol, I can be moving away from danger and still use it.

And there are some around here that would consider a knife fight as good sport. The appearance of a firearm of any sort tends to take the fun out of it.

Besides, I'd suck at knife fighting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not familar with them. Suggest you test them on 1-2.5 gallon water jugs and see what you think. E

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I'll take the pistol, I can be moving away from danger and still use it.

You will not get much room with a 25 ACP. A 22 LR would be a beeter choice for sure and certain

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
a fellow I used to know (I avoid him now) shot himself in the stomach with a 25 acp, it cost him $30K in hospital bills and he had to wear a colostomy bag for a while, but he is still with us, a fellow in Reno where I used to live in 78 decided to kill his wife and then commit suicide with a 25, he shot her in the head at an angle and the bullet creased her skull but did not penetrate, he put the gun to his ear which worked better for him. a 22LR is better I think

Two incidents involving 25ACP in Calgary. A pimp was disposing of a his hooker. He grabbed her by the hair, put the muzzle against her head and emptied his gun. She survived, and all the bullets were found under the scalp on the other side of her head. The bullets travelled under the scalp. The other incident involved a arguement between estranged/divorced spouses. The husband was leaving the house through the garage, when the wife called out to him. He turned around and she emtied the gun into his chest. He survived.

My conclusion is that the 25ACP is better than nothing, but how much better?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I would not want to have just a 25ACP between me and a bad guy.

That said, We have, resting peacefully in our local cemetery, a fine young Police Officer. Wade Feldner was his name, local DARE officer, very active and effective with the youth of our small county. Extremely well liked by young and old alike.

A 14 year old piece of schitt out of Boise, in a stolen car put him down with a 25 auto despite body armor. Google "Bobby Moore"! GRRRRRR

The young officer was admittedly poorly trained. He failed to remain vigilant because of the perp's age.

When the officer leaned into the car window to talk to the perp, he caught a round to the face and another in the armpit to the heart as he fell away from the car. DRT

[bleep] kid "Just wanted to see what it felt like to shoot a cop." His mother had helped him to get the gun because he needed it to hang with the gang.

That is sickening.
I hope they fried the little POS!
mad

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still take the .25 over a knife, but against a knife I would rather have an ASP baton than another knife! But a gun is always preferable, even a .25 IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Still take the .25 over a knife, but against a knife I would rather have an ASP baton than another knife! But a gun is always preferable, even a .25 IMHO.

I have had some limited training with a baton (I am issued a Monadlock Autolock http://batons.com/autolock.html). The trainers really pump up your confidence in your capabilities with the batons.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I started out with a Hickory baton, transitiond to the Monadlock PR-24 (which I still have) then to the ASP (which I also still have). I can do some SERIOUS damage with any of them as well as use them for submission/compliance purposes. They are all three VERY efficacious tools for less than lethal force and outstanding performers against knives, clubs and the like.

I don't want to get in a knife fight, it was drilled into us that if you did you WERE gonna get cut.

'Course now that I am old and decrepit I would just shoot the scumbag and be done with it! I am way too old to get down in the mud, the blood & beer. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gun Fighting Rules:
#1 Bring a gun!
#2 Refer to rule #1 above

The older I get the better I was.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Agreed on the batons. BTW, they are considered "billy clubs" and are a felony to possess here in good, old Kalifornia.
By law, they are capable of inflicting great bodily harm, so they can be considered deadly weapons legally.
However, if you don't modify them, a spare axe handle is legal here and can be carried w/o legal problems. As long as you don't add a thumb loop to them, etc. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Small, 2 inch class .22's haven't impressed me any more than the .25's for fighting. But they kill from lead poisoning much more often. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Small, 2 inch class .22's haven't impressed me any more than the .25's for fighting. But they kill from lead poisoning much more often. E

Definately not recomending a 22, just pointing out the inferiority of the 25 ACP. The 22 LR penetrates farther in my experience YMMV

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No personal experience with the 25 ACP or 22 LR in self defense, but I think I would run a 22 LR with Stingers before I would a 25 ACP.
Just my 2 cents.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Carry both.

JD338

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 20 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.