Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To quote Richard Lee's website:

There is no loading system that will load more accurate ammunition than Lee Collet Dies. We guarantee it in writing with every set. No one but Lee has ever dared to make a guarantee like this "Smallest group size or your money back."

I am considering investing in three caliber sizes and wanted to hear your experience opinions.

Also, does the crimp die work well?

"Blessed are those who give without remembering and receive without forgetting"
-Elizabeth Bibesco-
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've good results using them for my 300 wm

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't use the crimp dies but IMO the Lee collet dies work great and are one of the best buys out there.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never used the crimp die so can't offer an opinion on them but do use the collet neck sizer dies and like them a lot. I shoot quite a few different calibers and find that the collet dies seem to not work harden the necks as quickly. No lube is needed and they are adjustable as to how much neck tension you want (its not a big adjustment but it is there). They can be a pain to get adjusted correctly; I found a great post over on BRC on how best to adjust them and those instructions made it very straight forward. I'm using a Rockchucker and running the handle all the way to the end of the stroke so as to get a positive stop each time.

I had my doubts at first but now that I've had them a while and used them long enough to get to know them, I feel they are a worthwhile item to have on the shelf. I do still use both regular FL dies as well as standard neck sizing as needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shoot4fun
I found a great post over on BRC on how best to adjust them and those instructions made it very straight forward.

Any chance of a cut & paste of that post or at least a link?

thx.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by shoot4fun
I found a great post over on BRC on how best to adjust them and those instructions made it very straight forward.

Any chance of a cut & paste of that post or at least a link?

thx.

Yep, I'd like to see that too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been looking for it. I too wish to lay eyes on it.

-Elizabeth Bibesco-
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I use these dies in almost all the calibers I reload now,and I really like them. I have run the loaded rounds on my RCBS bullet and neck concentricity guage and the ammo is indeed very uniform. In fairness,the one set of RCBS dies I have for my .270 does as good,although I prefer the Lee's for neck sizing only.
As far as crimping,the Lee FCD is the best I have used for crimpimg my levergun ammo. It's consistent and easy to use, I have no desire to try any others.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use one in 300 Win Mag - best I've seen for neck sizing.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Steve. Downloading a couple now.

-Elizabeth Bibesco-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have both in a couple of different calibers and they work well. I have used the crimp die the most and it is by far easier to use than any combo seater/crimper die.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JasonB,

Did you notice any improvement in accuracy after using the crimp die?

-Elizabeth Bibesco-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longarch
JasonB,

I've used the crimp die extensively. I've not noticed an increase in accuracy, but I've definitely not noticed a DECREASE in accuracy, and I like having the security of the crimp. I use them with any bullets that have cannelures.

I don't, however, crimp non-cannelured bullets like Lee suggests that you can. I just can't get over the notion of adding a groove into the bullet with my crimp.

Chris
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have collet neck sizers for every cartridge I load for (that Lee makes one for, at least). I've even considered getting custom ones for the cartridges they don't normally make. They work beautifully, I don't have to lube cases, I don't work the brass as much as FL dies, the results are just as good as any other dies I've tried, and they cost a whole bunch less than any other neck-sizing dies I know of.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99
JasonB,

I've used the crimp die extensively. I've not noticed an increase in accuracy, but I've definitely not noticed a DECREASE in accuracy, and I like having the security of the crimp. I use them with any bullets that have cannelures.

I don't, however, crimp non-cannelured bullets like Lee suggests that you can. I just can't get over the notion of adding a groove into the bullet with my crimp.

Richardca99,

Ever thought about comparing the accuracy of a crimped reload to a non-crimped? ....fishing....

-Elizabeth Bibesco-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JasonB,

In all honesty I never compared. I use their separate crimp dies for self loading rifles (also use their post size & crimp die on pistols) as a safety measure against set back on the feed cycle. All I can say for sure is the crimp the Lee die gives is far more consistent (and forgiving) than the RCBS combo seater/crimper I was using before.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
JasonB,

Richardca99,

Ever thought about comparing the accuracy of a crimped reload to a non-crimped? ....fishing....

Yes,I used the Factory Crimp Die on my 300Mag and 7mmMag and my group size shrunk from 1.5in to 1in.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool!!! That's the answer I was looking for.

nmitchell,

Do you use it on bullets w/o cannelure as well? If yes, have you recorded the same results?

-Elizabeth Bibesco-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I haven't tried it either beyond making up a dummy catridge or 2 to speed up setting seating depth. On that note, for anyone that has seen the crimp the Lee die makes (case mouth and on a non-cannelured bullet) and have also seen South African military ammo (there may be others, but this one comes to mind) is it just me, or do the crimps look similar?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.